1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr: What is his ideal role?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stat Nerd Perspective, Oct 22, 2022.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The teams who beat him are even more efficient. Steph Curry is efficient. Dude has had seasons approaching 70% ts as a volume scoring guard which is insane.

jordnnnn likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Green's handles are not as good as KPJs and neither is his passing, and the reason he is excelling is that SILAS has simplified the game for him, he has ONE thing to do - SCORE THE BALL - we don't need to complicate the game for a guy who is going to be our number 1 option - let him develop.

DD

3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I think folks aren't raggin on Jabari, b/c most folks by now including you should know not to rag and have a knee jerk reaction to a struggling rookie not even half way into the season. Remember folks btching about green, including you?

I just find it strange. I know for a fact that you didn't like Harden's playstyle when he was here, but here you r hyping up KPJ doing the exact same sht but a poorer imitation of it.

You can't convinced me KPJ is playing teamball, something folks been btching for years when harden was with us.

I do agree, that there are folks who hate him for his past behavior more than anything or folks being sengun fanatics.

My issue with him is that watching him pretend to b like harden w/o the court vision or passing ability is just not fun to watch

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

You claimed his efficiency wasn’t making a difference. Winshares goal is to show who is making a difference. Wood in his new role is having an Uber efficient and impactful season so far.

And you are right. My understanding of numbers is quite lacking as a ChemE grad.

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

A claim I never made. Efficiency is the most important factor in a high volume scorer. As we all know James Hardens efficiency in the playoffs has never matched his unreal regular season efficiency which has led to his lower success level in the post season.

Kobe, Jordan two guys who regularly upped their efficiency in the post season. Because again efficiency is THE MOST IMPORTANT area for a high volume guy to succeed.

6. fchowd0311

Quite frankly Silas is making the game more difficult for Green...and Sengun... And KPJ. I don't know how you can say this when Green hardly ever has possessions where he has proper spacing to do his thing. Look at his shot attempts this season. They are almost all difficult minus a few spot up open attempts. He's always in a crowd. Silas does not know how to do basic tricks to space the half court offense such as using high screen multiple feet behind the three point line to initiate the offensive set for someone like Green to have the downhill space to get at top speed in a half court setting. You don't see any of that kind of stuff.

Silas is not a coach who knows how to utilize Green's speed and Sengun's playmaking.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Green's 1 to 1 assist to turnover ratio and Sengun's 1 to 3 assist to turnover ratio suggests otherwise

8. fchowd0311

Also I'm confident in saying that Green doesn't have the handles of KPJ but he actually probably has better vision and passing. Green actually will do a cross court pass to a open man at the corner. KPJ has more tunnel vision.

9. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

My point is we're going to be a bottom-5 team, right? If so, why not kick the tires on alternatives when something's not working? I'm okay with giving this experiment another 18 games or so. I think a season and then 20 games of the next season is enough of a sample size to conclude something doesn't work. And if it's not working, let's get creative. Let's see how well Sengun orchestrates a starting lineup. Let's see what TyTy has to offer as a PG with KPJ as a SF.

10. bmelo

bmelo Member

It's funny because I'm a leading software developer dealing with the same stuff as you, and it seems we are one of the few here that laugh off these stat nerds who are often kids that just learned cosinus. They don't even understand the context and that every single of these stats without context means nothing. There is no way in the world that you would convince me with some “advanced stats” that KPJ plays winning basketball

DaDakota likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

Honestly Green and Sengun gets the ball a lot of time after the play breaks down from KPJ doing his 15-20 second dance and then dumping it off. Green and Sengun are more often in a position of un****ing a bad play because they aren't the ones usually initiating the offense. KPJ is. They are often the ones where the ball is dumped into their hands with 5 seconds left to do something.

You HAVE to watch the games to notice these things. I want KPJ part of this core but he doesn't deserve to be the 11th ranked player in the NBA ahead of guys like Jokic and LeBron with time of possession. That's absurd. That isn't this team. No one on this team merits that much time of possession with the ball in their hands.

#251 fchowd0311, Oct 24, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Asking a guy who lacks court vision and passing chops to unlock the potential of his teammates is really a recipe to disaster.

Only thing to mitigate this, is if KPJ scoring prowess offsets it which is not happening. Anyone that complains about KPJ scoring enough to carry and solid assist number as our pg is just hating at that point. Otherwise this nonstop hate on KPJ is quite justified.

I do acknowledge that some folks are just hating bc of past behavioral issues which i find stupid.

13. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

KPJ is suppose to be a Point Guard but he plays like a Small Forward or Shooting Guard, if you look at the ESPN’s statistics he is categorized as a Shooting Guard not a Point Guard….this is the real we are one of the bottom teams in the assist category.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep, and then applauding him when he did well, something you don't do for KPJ.

Knee jerk you mean a guy that has 1 total year at the PG position at the age of 22 and is still working on his decision making? Huh, weird...

A guy the ORG asked to change his game to become more of a floor general and less of a scorer, and he did it, a guy the org just gave 4 years and 80m to because he is doing what they want.......

And we have no other options atm.

DD

15. fchowd0311

I think there is some disconnect here. Some posters do drag on KPJ in an irrational sense in the terms of just absolutely wrecking his personal character and saying he has no future on this team at all.

But can you listen to the rational ones that just want him to alter his play style to be so less ball dominant?

#255 fchowd0311, Oct 24, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Ah yes it's me that's being the hypocrite on how i applaud folks. Not the one that preaches patience for KPJ development as pg while proceeding to sht on green a few games in the season.

I didn't applaud for kpj b/c my standards for a 4th year vet should b a lot higher. Like if he was the same class as Green, then he would get praise for doing what he's doing at pg.

I didn't give up on green like you and pine for mobley a few games in.

I think KPJ has a place on our team as a scorer, i don't think he's pg material since he doesn't have court vision or even great passing abilites.

I would like to think i been quite consistent with my stance. If KPJ can upped his scoring dramatically, he could pretend to b like harden as the pseudo pg.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

Ya it's kinda funny to play the hypocrisy game when we are comparing a 19 year old rookie to a 3rd year player. One player should have a higher standard for competence.

18. MystikArkitect

Green and Gordon can share ball handling duties. KPJ isn't a ball handler either, he's just pretending to be one. This team has essentially 3 SGs. Running KPJ as the 1 is like running Jabari permanently at the 5. It'll work in stints but not over the long haul. At this point we all want KPJ to be successful but tasking him to quarterback this team, which is essentially what he's being asked to do, is short sighted at best. Asinine is really the right word. The toxicity then develops because some fans/posters begin to furl insults at his character. I don't marry the two. Michael Jordan had awful character but is the goat. He was a basketball genius. James Harden was a basketball genius in his time here. He would just see stuff other people can't see. KPJ simply does not possess this trait. He is a microwave scorer. Through and through. If he was put into this role, everyone would love him.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

AroundTheWorld and fchowd0311 like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yet he can't carry a team like Jordan could.

Shooting doesn't solve all problems.