1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. Vipers Debut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Feb 9, 2021.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Our G-league starters should be our new Rockets bench. Plus Patton.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Patton may be better served playing with Porter in Rockets 2nd unit.

Wall should take notes.

DreamShook and coachbadlee like this.
  3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Exactly. When you're trying to bring your future star along at a certain pace, it's best to keep him playing with a squad that he already knows and trust. He was leading that team well.

D-rock likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

8. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Man If Porter does the Lenard dreads he would be so cool :)

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I feel like 98% of the fans here losing it over KPJ weren't around to witness Terrence Williams' time with the Rockets.

arabrocket and fryjol7 like this.
  10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

We had fun with ol' Squid.
    2 totally different players.

fryjol7 and fchowd0311 like this.
  11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Nah. I remember him. He was no where near as talented and refined as KPJ skillset wise.

Doesn't mean I think he's a garraunted future all-star even, let alone superstar. He just obviously has more talent than Terrence Williams.

Edit: Oh, and just for reference, Terrance Williams rookie season was at age 22 and he averaged less points with far worse effiency than KPJ at 19 in the NBA.

#1431 fchowd0311, Mar 8, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    dobro1229 and Denovo like this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So you are saying KPJ will only amount to 23 professional games averaging 4 points with the Rockets?

He more than surpassed anything TWill EVER did as a 19 yr old rookie,

You dont have to like him, but you do need better analogies.

13. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I didn’t see him much in the league in his Nets days outside of highlights but I saw TWIll in college a lot at Louisville and he was most definitely better and skilled than KPJ was at USC. That’s not even debateable. Williams was undisputed as a top 10 draft player, in a much stronger draft class(he came out the same year as harden Steph and Blake). I dont know what your smoking but TWill was a better prospect at 20 years old and coming outta school than KPJ. A couple of mock drafts had him higher than Steph or Harden. His problem was inside his head and he wasnt humbled enough for the opportunity prenaetef in front of him.

twill was such a frustrating player during his time I. Houston. Always pouting and verbally doing it.

But I firmly believe TWill was more talented and natural gifted than KPJ.

14. fchowd0311

Absolutely not. KPJ is signfict more skilled and I watched both play intently.

Terrance Williams was a player who had no in between game other than straight line slashing to the rim with his explosiveness and pull up simple one crossover move pull up jump shots. KPJ has far more advanced skillsets while being able to explode and finish at the rim. For his age he already has the ability to change pace instead of just being one speed. His dribble moves are far more advanced. Also I'm pretty sure Williams is far shorter than 6'6" as he was measured before the NBA became really strict on height measurements.

If Williams was going to be a high draft pick at 19, he would have opted for the NBA. He didn't and at 22 he had signficantly worse production than KPJ at 19 in the NBA.

#1434 fchowd0311, Mar 8, 2021
    Verbal Christ, coachbadlee and Denovo like this.
  15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Terrence Williams? Wow.

Verbal Christ, coachbadlee and D-rock like this.
  16. fchowd0311

And I was making sure I wasn't crazy and just watched like 20 minutes of Terrance Williams highlights just to make sure I'm not the one being crazy and ya, I'm not seeing it. He has really basic moves,ball handling and footwork and relies on explosion more than anything. In fact that was his draft scouting report. Impressive athlete, good passer and good defense. Nothing about advanced skillsets.

#1436 fchowd0311, Mar 8, 2021
  17. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I love posts like this. “This one prospect didn’t work out, so obviously no prospect will ever work out. It’s science.”

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Haha. And just like that, it obviously sets off the NO WAY, HOW DARE YOU reactions.

-Yes I am rooting for KPJ
    -Yes I think KPJ has a higher likelihood of success than TWill did

and

-Yes I think Rockets fans here can get very excited about a young player who hasn't proven himself yet, get beer goggles, and get emotionally attached.

I think part of that is the fact that the franchise as a whole for years and years has done so little to build the team around young talent that we freak out anytime there is a hint of talent in our farm system. That's mostly the team's fault for depriving fans of real upside talent, and instead mostly relying on star players with moneyball role players to surround them with.

I am very very excited to see a young team with KPJ and Wood playing together along with whatever the Rockets get in the later part of this season, and next year. However my expectations for greatness are pretty damn conservative. I'm also very very cautious of KPJ in the locker room without solid veterans around him. If the plan is to trade Wall at some point, every day that he's still here I want KPJ tied to the damn hip of John Wall.

I'm very very concerned about KPJ coming into the big leagues right as we are looking at the entire team getting traded. Seems like a recipe for a young talent with maturity issues to get above his skis and create a disaster in the locker room.

#1438 dobro1229, Mar 8, 2021
    joshuaao and YOLO like this.
  19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I don't like to use non-NBA games to construct predictions, esp from highlights, but I do believe there are some skills you can pull-away with a little bit of certaintly, esp since we're watching his entire games, not just highlights.

KPJ's dribbling is for real. He is very good for a 20yr old

That gives me a high-level of confidence that he works hard on his game, because I believe dribbling is the hardest skill to master at elite NBA levels (and obviously harder the taller you are). I believe his dribbling will translate well.

As for TWill, KPJ is still one-yr younger than TWill's age at draft day. TWill was a 4yr college player. The dribbling skills between the two aren't comparable.

Verbal Christ, D-rock and ROXTXIA like this.
  20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

He does pass the eyeball test. Head and eyes up, surveying the floor, good handles.

Fingers crossed we got a steal and he can keep his head on straight. KLove did say Porter was by far the most talented player on the Cavs.