1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. Vipers Debut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Dang, starter already? Nah I think he has a ways to go still. Talent is there, but it needs refining. I’m glad we got him for cheap and can develop him slowly. No need to rush him at this point.

groovemachine and Ben Frank like this.
  2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That is a Einstein/Che Guevara/Jigsaw from the Saw tattoo?? I don’t know what to say

3. Ben Frank

Ben Frank Member

I feel what you saying, but if we go into full rebuilding mode.. might as well throw him out to the Wolves, Kevin Love said he had more talent that everybody on the Cavs by far.. don't see why he couldn't handle it.. just got to work on his attitude

4. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Seriously, he looked good at times, but the immaturity showed when things weren't going his way and the body language went negative. He does have some sweet moves, though, and he's young. Hopefully he gets the emotional stuff under control with time.

mikol13 and R94 like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

The skill set is there for Porter. He has excellent body control that can over come a lack of elite explosiveness. He is deceptively quick and really finishes well in transition.

He can shoot but he isn’t an elite shooter, but the blue print and skills are there for him to score and shoot and set teammates up regardless of who is guarding him. That is what makes him such a high ceiling player, there are maybe 6-10 players in the whole league that can do that.

My on the court concern with him is he doesn’t really understand pace or control of the game. He can score and make excellent passes but he isn’t a point guard like Harden is or even a Westbrook. He is a ball dominant shooting guard. So either he needs to learn to play better off ball or he needs to really master how to dictate pace and an offense.

His off the court issues aren’t magically better. He is bipolar and that will cause issues and need to be addressed.

Personally I view him like a prospect in Single A baseball playing well, it is encouraging but there is a long way to go before they make it.

It is too bad he cannot go play and be coached by Kelvin Sampson because he would be farther along.

Rashmon, D-rock, jacoby and 15 others like this.
  7. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

2 years being mentored by John Wall could be huge for his game and professionalism.

The mental health stuff can be managed by the medical staff and often improves with age.

8. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

That step back tho.

9. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I didn't watch the whole game but saw some of the 3rd, saw him rip a step back 3. The guy has potential. I liked Spalding's hustle as well. Maybe it was just easy to notice because he's tall.

Don't think KPJ is coming to Houston this year unless disaster strikes or they actually do a derp mctanksky, jenga level rebuild.

D-rock likes this.
  10. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

All the contenders need a guy that can guard the other contenders big dogs. He is no good to us but he is what teams need to guard duranrt, lebron, Tatum etc. He has no value to this team bc when he stands out in the corner, he doesn't really get anything but for contenders, he opens up space.
    He is valuable on a good team and worthless on a team like ours.

sydmill and fchowd0311 like this.
  11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

He al’rite, ain’t no Eric Gordon, but he al’rite

12. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Once the Gleague bubble is over I would like to see KPJ run backup point for us...

He needs to get run as a point to start developing in the skills needed to be a point... glad he is getting PT in the G league along with KJ and others

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

kinda remind me of a Michael Beasley if anything.

napalm06 likes this.
  14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Bad shot selection and doesnt drive probably because he is slow and low iq.

15. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

When I look at him, I don't see a PG. I see a 2. If we trade Oladipo, we could possibly slide Gordon into the starting rotation and let KPJ provide some offense off the bench.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Is this true??

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

LOL.

BamBam likes this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You killing me dude. LOL.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This kid has the BBIQ of a carrot. Doesn’t even look to his teammates. Takes horrible shots and isn’t using his body correctly. He’s got soooo much work to do. He’s an iso ball scorer, not a basketball ball player.

hope that changes

20. Nook

Nook Member

Huh? He scored a number of times driving to the basket.

He is all 3's and layups.

He isn't as fast as someone like Westbrook or Wall but he was still getting separation and he has great body control so he finishes well.

I don't know how bright he is or isn't, he has better basketball instincts than Eric Gordon.

D-rock and fchowd0311 like this.