1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. Vipers Debut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Feb 9, 2021.

1. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

2. Nook

Nook Member

Those guys are the extreme's. In the case of Butler it is an even more extreme because his physical skills are nothing special. Leonard had/has exceptional physical skills, it was a matter of him putting it all together. I am not saying that KJ will be Butler. KJ is an extreme boom/bust type player. I only bring Butler up to show that it isn't impossible for a player to have really unrefined or under developed skill sets that emerge later.

As for Hunter, he falls somewhere in between. He has really improved as a player prior to his injury. He lacks the physical attributes of someone like Leonard and he likely lacks the drive than Butler has. Still, he was really coming along.

KJ is very hard to predict and hard to really compare to anyone else. It is rare that a player at his size hasn't really attempted to develop ball handling or shooting until so late. Usually you have guys that either haven't shown an aptitude for it but are exceptional talents that teams take chances on or you have players that are very projectible and just haven't put it together yet......... Martin was likely the best athlete in the 2020 draft and he lasted as long as he did because of his lack of amazing size, a history of being primarily a role player at the lower levels and really undeveloped skills sets.

All I can say is that KJ appears to be developing those skill sets (shooting, ball handling, dribbling) faster than most bullish projections would have expected. He has a very long way to go, but he is promising.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Derrick Jones Jr. is one I had not considered, but they are similar types of athletes.

The biggest difference is that Jones has a 7'0" wingspan which makes him even more of a physical freak.

I will say that SO FAR it appears that KJ has an aptitude on the shooting side that Jones lacks.

D-rock and Deuce like this.
  4. Rockets4Life13

It’s clearly helping the Vipers that they have a guy on the floor that would be the most talented player on an NBA floor on most nights.

KPJ is really insanely talented. Hope his head is right, but right now he looks good and confident

D-rock and fchowd0311 like this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This is the best he's looked by far so far and you can tell he's getting his legs and pacing back from not playing a year of ball.

Ya he's definitely going to be called up along with Martin definitely after the trade deadline and be a core part of this roster. Just uber talent on this guy. His handles are amazing for his age. His body control is amazing.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Is it just me or is the level of play way Way higher than in years past?

7. fchowd0311

The NBA talent pool grows every year making the g-league just increase it's talent pool as a result.

8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I agree he is hard to compare. I really like how he's handling himself on the court, shows a level of maturity beyond his years. Of course he's been groomed to be professional and it shows. I wish his base wasn't so wide on his 3pt shot, but if he's comfortable with that stance and can be consistent then so be it. He's obviously a great leaper, but its his timing on shot blocking that I really appreciate--really good anticipation.

G-League is perfect development time for him, but I'm glad he got a taste of the NBA before coming down. KPJ could go up now, but I'd rather he get more playing time and give Stone time to clear some roster space, so that when he comes up its as a starter.

D-rock, Nook and fchowd0311 like this.
  9. Rockets4Life13

Announcers are in love with KJ and KPJ

D-rock, coachbadlee and fchowd0311 like this.
  10. Rockets4Life13

Yea man i can’t wait to have KPJ on the rockets, this guy is special. His handle is amazing, his court vision is amazing, his footwork is amazing. He really does remind me of Harden

11. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

This guy is on another level.

12. csc177

csc177 Member

The talent this kid has at 20 is unreal. I believe he'll make his mark and remain in the league...Get him called up ASAP STONE.

D-rock, coachbadlee and fchowd0311 like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

There are a number of intriguing players on the Vipers.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if A. Brooks ends up playing in the NBA a long time. He can defend and is a high volume three point shooter that doesn't have any attitude issues and works hard.

He won't ever be a star but he could be useful.

14. fchowd0311

Can't wait till KMJ and KPJ are called up and Wood comes back from injury. I'll actually start caring about watching Rocket games again. Because right now Rocket games are just damn depressing.

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Kevin Porter looks way better than I ever imagined. Can't believe hes only 20.

I want him to draw more fouls, his style is very much like Hardens and he can draw a lot of contact with the way he accelerates and decelerates

16. fchowd0311

I think with KPJ's length and passing ability I saw today, he can actually bring back the lob game with Wood when he comes back because Wall and Dipo were just not finding lob opportunities with Wood. This will also help KPJ have an easier time finishing in the paint like Harden when he became the master of the lob pass because NBA bigs always were second guessing if Harden would lob or lay it in making them flat footed when defending the paint.

Can't wait to see a Wood/KPJ pick and roll.

17. R94

R94 Member

brooks is going to be a great NBA role player

groovemachine likes this.
  18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

KPJ obviously has it. Then you have Martin, Thomas and Brooks. I can't believe it and wonder if it is possible to have so many good players at RGV.

D-rock likes this.
  19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Raphael "Boulders" Stone!!

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Harden evidently was not watching Vipers games or he would unquestionably still be here.

groovemachine and harold bingo like this.