1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Kevin Porter Jr Rockets Debut Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Mar 6, 2021.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

poor nets

2. conquistador#11

It does look like that but that's his thing. It's kind of like Shawn Marion's shot. It was ugly but it was his ugly duckling and it worked for him. I think he can develop that lose dribble to invite defenders then adding a head jerk, not Harden at the club head jerk, but one that gives the appearance of a foul.

The shooting, Lowry was an atrocious shooter for 4 consecutive seasons. He was then 'charged with battery' and things turned around for him. =)

The Defense at least he wants to stay in front of his man. That's a good start.

The flopping is what really needs work. 7 free points.

chadyang, ramotadab and vlaurelio like this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Well, not all point guards are created equal. There is the John Stockton-Magic Johnson point guard who are setting up others first and there
    are the Allen Iverson-Marbury point guard who seeks to score first and pass second.

In 2 games K Porter:
    ..............points............ast........stl.......blk..........TOV...........rebs..........PER..........USG%
    20.0...............9.0.........2.0.........1.5............3.5.............4.0.............18.8...........29.5%

Wall ast% from age 22 to age 27
    22 (3rd season).........43.9%
    23...............................40.5%
    24...............................46.3%
    25...............................46.2%
    26...............................46.9%
    27...............................44.5%
    28 (32 gms- injury)....39.2%
    2 year lay off
    Now............................33.7%............Kevin Porter in 2 games 47.7%

So it's a small sample size by KPjr.....but I'm very pleased. I feel we could play him at the point guard as a cross between the
    pass 1st or score 1st types. Or I can play him at the shooting guard, having an ability to create from there as well.

Porter does not hamper me personally from drafting any one of Cade Cunningham, Jalen Green or Kuminga.

Cunningham being just like Porter, I feel each compliments each other by switching out seamlessly between
    the 1 and 2 positions.

Jalen Green can play the 2 while I let Porter mainly run the point. Of course Jalen will get his touches and
    opportunities to start the set, knowing Porter can be on the perimeter acting as a shooting guard.

Kuminga of course playing SF or imo power forward. Keep Wood at center.

Here are some other ast% by other creators:
    Harden
    34.6%
    35.6%
    50.7%
    45.1%
    39.5%
    35.9%
    48.1% (Hous) 42.6% (Nets).....[20/21]......but media think Brooklyn changed Harden

Jason Kidd (age 26-33).......CP3...........Kyrie (age 23-28)
    40.1%...................................43.8%...........26.6%
    41.2%...................................46.5%...........29.7%
    42.5%...................................48.9%............30.7%
    42.2%....................................47.4%...........35.0%
    44.8%....................................52.7%............36.7%
    40.6%.....................................46.8%...........27.3%
    39.0%.....................................40.9%
    41.4%......................................39.3%

I strongly feel Wall just needs to get healthy. Feel better about his game. Then he will be back to assisting better next season.

#203 ApacheWarrior, Mar 13, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    18pbr, Shark44, Deckard and 1 other person like this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It seems a lot of veterans like KPJ. That's always a good sign.

DonKnock, chadyang, D-rock and 5 others like this.
  6. conquistador#11

So on the three ball.

From the top of my head, Kidd was spending too much time with Toni Braxton to improve from three. Valid excuse. He eventually improved.
    Short shorts stockton shot .143 his first 3 seasons. The 3 pt line existed so there was a reason he didn't attempt that many.
    Lowry was already mentioned.

Then some guys never improve : Avery Johnson and Ben Simmons come to mind.

Oooohh. Kenny Smith from .30 at age 22 to mr. automatic at age 26

saleem likes this.
  7. csc177

csc177 Member

Wall is healthy...we just need someone to take his contract at this point. I don’t want the dude here anymore - it’s a new day for the young guns and our future draft pick

D-rock likes this.
  8. xaos

xaos Member

I get the James Harden comparisons, but KPJ has a little TMac in his game when he is driving

chadyang and coachbadlee like this.
  9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

He is not healthy, and in true NBA form.

With Washington he had lift. He could elevate with ease. Rise above the competition. Not this year. It's like guarding Eric Gordon, all you need
    is single coverage and everyone else go the your assignments. The John Wall with Washington demanded double coverage with hm headed to
    the rim.

I believe he has his kickouts down in this system. That's like the safety valve or safety net.....much like Tom Brady gets his slot receiver as his
    safety valve or safety net. Once Tom Brady nails his check downs and shallow crossing routes.....then he feels comfortable looking down field.

Wall just needs to get consistent elevation and for Wood to come back to practice the lob dunk.

Good luck getting someone to take that contract right now......the buyer will come back and say you sold them damaged goods.
    Only 75% the player he was pre achilles surgery. Dressing him up as 100% back is bull ****.

Rockets have been keeping him away from back to backs for a reason. If healthy no need for that.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

“He does have like a sereneness to him,” Silas said. “He is just composed for a young kid, doesn’t get too high, too low, That’s a steadying influence on the rest of the group, When you have the guy who has the ball in his hands most of the time, which it was (Friday) for him, to kind of play in that manner and not get rattled by a run by the opposing team or a turnover or a bad play, just kind of have the next play mentality, it’s pretty cool for a young guy to be that way.

“He’s played two games for us. We’re not going to overstate anything. But we think we got something there.”

“I watched a ton of his G League games,” Silas said. “You never know how much is going to carry over. It’s a different setting, it’s different talent level. He does have a great feel. Having him with the basketball in his hands is a good thing. Prior to this, his NBA experience was playing the three.

“Now, we have him playing point and making decisions. He’s really good in those situations. He doesn’t turn it over much. He can find who’s open, making simple plays. He didn’t make the shots that he wanted, but that stuff will come. His feel for the game is something that we need.”

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/rockets/article/Kevin-Porter-Jr-point-guard-poise-Rockets-16023807.php

DonKnock, crose, coachbadlee and 2 others like this.
  11. csc177

csc177 Member

Wall is as healthy as he's going to get, unfortunately. Turning 31, coming off multiple leg injuries. The burst we see is about as good as we're going to get - which is still above average don't get me wrong. They sit him back just because its his first full season back.

But people need to move on from the Kentucky/young Wizard Wall (who was a few pounds lighter might I add) and 6 or 7 years younger. Unfortunately for Wall (and Westbrook) their games wont age well - like the Tom Brady example you gave. Their games are built on athleticism, and once that goes...well (there's so many examples to give here...you get it)

I pray the basketball gods convince someone to take on his contract (Hello Miami)

D-rock likes this.
  12. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Really interesting comments from Silas. I remember when Mason Jones blew up, Silas basically said, “Jones will be in and out of the lineup, but he showed me I can trust him.” Lukewarm at best. Completely different tenor here.

DonKnock and D-rock like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Ben Simmons is 24, "never" sounds more than a bit premature.

Likelihood is high, granted, but his story is yet to be finished.

14. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

I'm looking forward to witnessing this kid developing into a mentally strong team leader who feel quite shameful to join others winning a meaningless ring.

D-rock likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

John Lucas is more important to Porter's continued success IMO.

DonKnock, coachbadlee and csc177 like this.
  16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

We shall agree that we disagree. Wall speed is there, 3-point shooting is as high as it has ever been % wise, he can still get by defenders.

Just needs to fine tune the finishing ability. That takes repetition.

Work this summer on lateral footwork and lob passes.

I'm not saying he will be better than Wall of Washington days, but like Rudy Gay I think he can come back. Rudy also was a lesser player year one
    of his return from achilles tear. He has been adequate since that season of rehab called, the regular season.

I predict 24 points (much like he averaged in Washington).....with better efficiency as he and Wood know the system and practice together during.
    the off-season......continued decent 3-pt% and overall FG%.........40% to 42% ast%. Book it Dano.

No team will take him for the reasons you fear and the cost of that salary. So accept, we are stuck with him.

Cry all you want or hope for the best like me. Your choice.

csc177 likes this.
  17. csc177

csc177 Member

Wow. There was never a “comeback” for Rudy Gay...terrible example. He’s averaged like 11 points since his injury in 2017 and this from a guy who could walk out of bed and put up 20.

...nonetheless I do agree with you in that we’re probably stuck with Wall this year. But If Wall turns out like the example you gave, we’re screwed :cool:

18. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Agreed. We’ve had the “one year post injury PG who looks washed up, so let’s desperately try to get rid of him” experience before. Let’s not do that again.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Well when looking at per 36-min projections. The numbers are not far off from now, 18/19 and 17/18 (East All Star)::
    per basketball-reference.com

John Wall
    Year........FGM......FGA.......FG%......3PM.....3PA.....3P%.....2PM.....2PA.....2P%.....FTM.....FTA......FT%.......TRB......ast......stl.....blk....TOV......pts.....
    *17/18:
    ....7.1.........17.0.....42.0%....1.6........4.3.....37.1%.....5.6......12.8....43.6%....4.5........6.2......72.6%.....3.8......10.0....1.5....1.1......4.0.......20.3....
    18/19:.......8.0.........18.0....44.4%.....1.7........5.5.....30.2%.....6.3......12.5.....50.7%...4.0........5.7......69.7%.....3.8........9.1.....1.6....0.9......3.9.......21.6..
    Now:........8.5.........20.1....42.4%.....2.3........6.8.....34.0%......6.2......13.3.....46.8%...4.5........6.0......74.4%.....3.7........6.9....1.0.....0.8......3.8.......23.9..

*All Star season

So the main difference is 3.1 less assists than that All Star season to this season.

Less than 5 feet FG%:
    17/18: 140/236 for 59.3% (FG%).............87.9 (FGM% UAst'd)
    18/19: 135/231 for 58.4% (FG%).............85.9 (FGM% UAst'd)
    Now: 91/167 for 54.5% (FG%).................89.0% (FGM UAst'd)

So is John Wall not finishing near the rim as much because of health, or perhaps less spacing from role players, or combination of both?

I can't say, but I can say Rockets fans have been spoiled by Harden. Harden is gone. People need to stop dwelling on the past.
    Focus on the future, Wall numbers are not that far from his All Star year in 17/18.

#220 ApacheWarrior, Mar 13, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2021