1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. loses temper, leaves Toyota Center during 2nd half

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 1, 2022.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Do not underestimate fans.

Fertitta was once an ordinary fan until he decided to use his billions to buy the team and ruin it.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

still waiting for u to provide how many times Wood has been suspended…acting like Wood and KPJr’s history is in any way comparable is just more gaslighting

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So refusing to go into a game when you have the history he has and still has the chance to get double-figure millions yearly is not the same level of ****ery?

Sorry, we just gonna disagree with that, KPJ has some real issues but Wood is just ignorant and I think that is an entire higher level of ****ery.

JVL713 likes this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, true, Fertits has screwed this all up.

Also, ran into my uncle who used to play ball with Stone, said he SUCKS as a player and was just a brute and a bit of a dick on the court.

DD

daywalker02 likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

LOl wut?

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

no, it’s not

still waiting for u to provide how many times Wood has been suspended

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

cool story

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep, at Christmas - he is a lawyer in Houston, said he played ball with Stone for years at a local gym, said he was terrible, all tatted up and just a brute, and an *******.

I don't know Stone, just found it funny. My uncle played Soccer at Penn State and is a good athlete.....I was telling him how I played with Joel Osteen and he dropped Stone's name....lol.

DD

9. T for 3

T for 3 Member

DD, there is no way you think he was playing amazingly well.
    There are games, (more like quarters) where he has been good this year, but has he been good to the extent that the organization should allow him to come back after throwing things and leaving the arena?

No. In no world does he deserve that. That’s superstar leeway. He deserves no leeway. Zero. He has accomplished nothing and has a history of outbursts.

That’s why he gets hate on this forum, every time the organization writes off his bad attitude or blatant childish behavior it hurts the team and establishes a kings-like, no accountability culture. Exactly what you MUST avoid in a rebuild.

If Stone had balls he’d cut KPJ on the spot.

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

way . . .

Nook and T for 3 like this.
  11. hakeemthagreat

Is JB not a good leader? Answer the question

12. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

No that's just you.

14. PatBev

PatBev Member

Why did KPJ get called out? 8pts, 3ast on 3/5 FGA in 16minutes doesn’t seem too bad. Only had 1 turnover and had a block to go with it

The game looked like it fell apart when Porter went out end Wood checked in with the second unit?

Frank Drebin likes this.
  15. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

According to the report, they called out a handful of guys for their defensive effort with accompanying film from the first half, and KPJ was just one of them. It didn’t sound like he got singled out, and it wasn’t for offense.

16. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

KPJ did look bad on Def on a lot of those plays

17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

My understanding is KPJ has legit mental health issues - you can't compare the two because there is an underlying condition for KPJ's issues that are treated with some combination of meds and/or therapy/counseling for him to learn how to deal with the condition. If someone says something super inappropriate deliberately -it's not the same as a person saying the exact same thing with let's say tourettes. The difference is we knew KPJ has some issues to work through and that's why we got him on the cheap despite his talent - maybe he figures it out, maybe he doesn't but it's on the org to figure out their own level of tolerance for the results of those issues and that is by and large going to be defined by how disruptive they are to the rest of the team.

I don't know what Lucas said or did that got under KPJ's skin so much but it wouldn't surprise me if Lucas has a "tough love" schtick that works well with certain types of players but he hasn't recognized that what works for one player, won't necessarily work for the next. I've seen it personally - by all accounts my parents are good parents who helped troubled foster children, but I have an adopted sister with legit mental health issues and nothing they could say or do would help - in fact it often made it worse. In the end medical and therapeutic intervention was the only thing that helped her despite my parents best intentions. I know Lucas has a rep as a "troubled player whisperer", but not all troubled players are equal and part of Lucas's responsibility as a leader in the org is understanding the limits of his own abilities.

Ultimately though, this team is a business and their interest in helping KPJ is directly related to his ability to make them a return on the court so it really does come down to a cold risk/reward decision for the team. At the end of the day, we don't know much about the nature of his mental health issues, the history of how often this happens (or whether they are even because of his mental health), or what was said so we just have to acknowledge that we don't know the big picture and judge on the merit of it's impact to the team. If this is happening frequently with KPJ, then I think they should let him go but I'm not sure how frequently or how bad it's been so I don't know what to say there. Wood doesn't appear to have the baggage, but I've seen nothing about Wood on the court that has super impressed me - poor leader, inconsistent effort, empty stats guy, not willing to put in dirty work - he's a fine supporting piece on the right team with strong leaders in place, but right now I don't see anything he offers this team that will be worth keeping him long term - mind as well trade him to a contender and try to get some young players/picks in return instead of letting him walk for nothing. If we were a stretch big away from a title, I might have a different take, but we need leaders and high ceiling guys right now and I don't think Wood projects as either. KPJ on the other hand does still have a high ceiling potential as a player but maybe not as a PG like Silas is stubbornly trying to make him and if he isn't a PG, can he co-exist with Green on the floor at the same time because if not, we should just admit KPJ is made redundant by Green and try to find a better fit.

slothy420 and FrontRunner like this.
  18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Campazo was looking like JJ Barea out there when JJ played the Rockets. It was ****ing annoying. Considering that we have tall, athletic players, Campazo should not have made us like idiots.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

FIFY

daywalker02 likes this.
  20. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I forgot what a spotless track record KPJ had. Also I don't need context, I didn't say anything other than recapping facts. Brown quit and was sent packing. Everything I said was true, it's on you if you want to dissect it further.