1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. loses temper, leaves Toyota Center during 2nd half

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 1, 2022.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's sad because unlike guys like Delonte West, KPJ when you hear him speak, he seems to have an actual brain and therefore just him speaking would convince you that he doesn't have severe mental health issues.

vator likes this.
  2. BonziWellsGOAT

Luckily it seems by all accounts Green has a good head on his shoulders along with Sengun but I have to worry what this is doing to the rookies on the team. Not that I think that they will start doing this stuff but it cant be a good example for them.

3. PWR

PWR Member

Get a rid of KPJ and Wood. I'm not with the bulls**t.

Jalen Brunson is averaging 21 points and 7 assists in his 16 starts for the Mavs. He's a clutch player that helped Villanova win the title. He's a leader. He's mature and his game is already developed.

He's 25 yrs old, and will be an unrestricted free agent in the offseason. Clear up some money and get him. Also, make a trade for Myles Turner. Speed this rebuild up by getting some 25 year old established players like Brunson and Turner since our coaching staff has no clue how to develop players.

Next year's starters:
    Jalen Brunson (free agency)
    JG
    (Insert shooter)
    Jabari Smith (Auburn)
    Myles Turner (trade)

Joe Rocket and jcmoon like this.
  4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

There is absolutely zero correlation between intelligence and mental health issues.

There are also thousands of mental disorders. This post is way too simplistic.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I understand this. My point is that it's easier to hide your mental health issues if you can speak confidently and fluently. My point is when KPJ speaks, he knows what the right things are to say to give hope to the fans and coaching staff that his mental health issues are past him which isn't the case in reality. With someone like Delonte West, the moment he moves his mouth you know much isn't going upstairs.

6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ironically (maybe not so much), KPjr was playing better than anyone, a huge difference maker in that first quarter...when he was pulled... and not put back in until six minutes left in the half. No excuses, but this kid wants to win. Over and over creating for others, sometimes with spectacular passes only to have chippy conversions blown. Let's get this straight. HE WAS PLAYING WELL. And HAS improved up top, while subjugating his game... turning into a defensive beast..Before exploring what happened tonight, folks need to acknowledge this. I'm ecstatic about JG confirming status the last several games, but don't let that blind you to Kevin's growth on the court. Obviously, he's still a work in progress off.

So, let's examine what we know.
    KPjr WAS playing well...He's pulled, and not brought back in until the game was way out of hand midway through the second.

Meanwhile, we have CW with behavior that's an extension of what we've seen from him all year. His modus operandi.
    This jack@$$ needed to be dealt anyway.(aside from his character issues) I reached critical mass with him and his attitude/game several days ago. This is who he is.
    Send him out yesterday. Despicable across the board.

These are two separate situations that apparently were grouped together at halftime....

I was concerned that Wood was disrupting the team on and off the court....poisoning the well.

I'm not sure what happened behind closed doors, but...

While KPjr needs to be disciplined, all this cutting off your nose to spite your face stuff being spouted needs to be checked. He IS part of that well.
    Kevin needs to be accountable....absolutely. But, I doubt he's going anywhere.

Wood, on the other hand.....HE is the Cancer.

#406 Plowman, Jan 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

It’S jUsT oNe InCiDeNt
    He JuSt wAnTs To WiN sO bAd; LoSiNg TaKeS iTs ToLl
    He’S jUsT a KiD, HeS fInE

I mean, who isn’t throwing food/objects and screaming “Modern day slavery!” and driving off, leaving the arena in the middle of the game?! Totally normal! All because my locker was moved and coached called me out at half. :confused:

Yeah, let’s build and plan around this unstable individual.
    Just one more chance! And one more after that!

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

(While I put on my flame r****dant boots)...

I'm not going to suggest that anything KPJ did was ok (putting on flame r****dant pants). Or that there's not a lack of accountability (flame r****dant shirt). But is it at all possible (helmet) that maybe John Lucas has a lack of EQ for dealing with the young guys like KPJ?

Not saying the divas don't need to go (ie Wood) but sometimes the old guys (Lucas) think tough love is needed when the young guys lack the capacity to process the tough love. To gloss my daughters favorite quote from one of my 9 yos fav movies, "you cannot reason with a man who kills without reason" (or something like that).

Flame on!

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

tough love was for Boomers. it is a New Age. Light the Fuse. Nurse the Boo Boos.

11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Stupid is Stupid. So Danuel House is the bar? ROFLMAO!!!!! Besides that stupid micro all crap did the Rockets in more than House’s Silly ass.

There are 450 jobs in the NBA & the last 100 guys in, are in constant jeopardy of losing their jobs because there’s at least a 100-150 guys just out of the NBA with similar talent.
    What guys like KPJ don’t realize is that it’s a privilege to play any professional sport. The NBA kept Turning after Magic & Bird left. The NBA kept going after Jordan and Olajuwon left. It’s kept turning after Iverson, Kobe and Duncan has gone. So it surely will keep turning if the Rockets get rid of KPJ & Christian Wood.

12. csc177

csc177 Member

Stone needs to cut ties and set the tone for this franchise. We tried to make it work and got bit, yet again.

You keep him, and stars and wannabe superstars will walk all over this place.

13. BonziWellsGOAT

If nothing else I know the guys in that lineup give a **** and will play their asses off

backwardhead likes this.
  14. csc177

csc177 Member

That’s a you’re cut on the spot offense if you ask me. Stone doesn’t have the balls though

15. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I did not have expectations from KPJ but I am also sad it happened this way. It looked like he was pulling it together, the first half looked good and the incident was maybe centered on Wood.
    it is possible but the task Lucas is given is almost an impossible one. A toxic Wood and Recovering kpj with no real veteran presence and soft coach Silas on a bottom team. That’s too much! So I don’t think we can evaluate Lucas on this one.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We only know half of the story, Lucas yelled at multiple players.

Story is going to come out eventually.

Unless then mutiny on the bounty.

DeBeards likes this.
  17. BonziWellsGOAT

My question to that is why can all the other young guys take tough love? They seem to have responded well to it. Its just those two from what weve heard and those two just so happen to have a history of **** like this

18. BonziWellsGOAT

It doesnt excuse leaving the arena at halftime at all but I will say if this revolved around Wood refusing to go in then maybe you can just send Wood out for what you can get because all the locker room stuff seems to stem from him

Plowman likes this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep, he has mental health issues, has no father - and once again the Rockets seem to not have a plan to help when they could get more out of him by helping him deal with his issues. We lost Eddie Griffin for the same danged thing.

Honestly, if you are going to take the risk on very talented players like Porter who have KNOWN issues, you need a ****ING PLAN to deal with it.

And, the player needs to buy in.....

Or you just don't take the risk.....

DD

backwardhead and AlperenSengun like this.
  20. TimDuncanDonaut

My personal opinion is don't risk it. This is a basketball organization. The personnels' forte is bball not medicine and mental health.

Team-wise and free agency, plenty of guards waiting for their shot.

a time to chill likes this.