1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. - how good can he be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 28, 2021.

?

What is your prediction on KPJ’s career?

Poll closed Apr 27, 2021.
  1. Franchise player

93 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Borderline Allstar

150 vote(s)
    56.4%
  3. Role Player

22 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Benchwarmer

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. D-rock

D-rock Member

2. dmoneybangbang

Already? He's played a total a 235 minutes this season so we are putting the cart before the horse here.

As I mentioned earlier, his ability to run an offense is what can separate him from being just a gunner/scorer. If he can be top ten in assists for an entire NBA season, then that greatly changes his outlook. Even though his play in the Rocket's organization (G League and Rockets) is small, he looks very promising.

#122 dmoneybangbang, Mar 29, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    Corrosion and rkh-dog like this.
  3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I remember reading about him after we got him, and one of the things they talked about was his balance/control and his passing ability. One thing an article mentioned was his tendency to sometimes attempt spectacular passes (pre-NBA). That reminded of that crazy spinning, 360, no-look pass he made in that game a couple of weeks ago that left me saying "wow". Obviously he has above-average athleticism, but his ability to get around people, pass, and do some crazy reverse layups are what's impressed me about him so far. Athleticism is a dime-a-dozen nowadays from what I've seen, but to be able to use it in-game or in-the-flow of a game and know when to turn it on and off is kind of unique. It reminds me of Harden's deceptive athleticism and how ridiculously athletic he was coming into the league, but you'd never know it because, for the most part, he was too busy using his skills to get around people, get shots up, and score -- especially now.

Plowman, joshuaao, saleem and 3 others like this.
  4. Rhay1

Rhay1 Member

The question is, when other teams design their defense to limit his shots and get the ball out of his hands, will we surround him with sharpshooters and shot makers or bricklayers and journeymen? His ability to record assists is contingent on the person receiving the pass making his shot. Hopefully they'll be taller than 6'2 since this is still basketball.

saleem, clos4life and D-rock like this.
  5. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Dude just needs to spend the summer with John Lucas (to keep him grounded), and work with Jeff Hornacek getting shots up and gaining confidence. He can be special!

D-rock and saleem like this.
  6. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Yall don’t forget, this fool was already ballin in Cleveland last year when he was 19!

D-rock likes this.
  7. riko

riko Member

I still stand by a top 15 player. He has the size and the talent to be great

D-rock, chadyang, xaos and 1 other person like this.
  8. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Need a better offensive system. This offense doesn’t put the guards in a great position to be creative without holding onto the ball

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I notice him having trouble beating guys off the dribble. Maybe I just have high expectations of him but John Wall is definitely quicker and we all know Harden could get to the rim at will. Eric Gordon is better as well

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

good catch, although harden's first step is all-world all-decade though

apollo33 likes this.
  11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Perhaps, that might improve if his handle gets tighter. He has shown that he can get to the rim and finish with his speed, but getting through traffic is harder as you have observed.
    Addendum: Lack of physical strength perhaps is another factor in preventing him from trying to take the ball all the way to the hoop.

#131 saleem, Mar 30, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  12. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he can beat guys off dribble - he just stops after he beats them to look for the pass too often... He either needs to start taking those between floaters / shots ... or drive all the way to basket. He has to be abit more selfish

D-rock, CHAMPBOY and saleem like this.
  13. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He’s also not getting the calls he was getting in GLeague when driving... he should be around 4-6 FTs a game

14. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I think he can be pretty good.

D-rock and Verbal Christ like this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Best comment yet!

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

No he has a habit of slowing down after beating his guy so the guy runs past him. It's a weird habit that doesn't works lot of time in the NBA.

He needs to learn how to do a straight line drive and do a normal layup.

mac_got_this likes this.
  17. CXbby

CXbby Member

I didn't like kpj's body language last night, throwing his hands up, shaking his head, he needs to have the same demeanor whether he's going 10/15 or 3/15. Got some maturing to do.

On the bright side, even after last night he is still 58% on 2 point fgs this year. His overall efficiency is being dragged down by the 22% shooting from 3, however there is a clear cause for that. Last year, 75.5% of his 3pt fgs were assisted, he shot 33.5% on them but was actually close to 37% after starting off cold the first month. This year, only 41.7% of his 3pt fgs are assisted, this is the primary reason why his 3pt% is so low, we are using him as a primary ball handler/creator, ala James Harden. He is taking tougher 3s than last year, but if he can really develop that shot and increase his efficiency on it, like James did, then he can really reach that star potential.

Bo6 and mac_got_this like this.
  18. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I think we should hold judgement until Wall is shut down for the season as they're a really bad fit next to eachother. Last night vs. the Grizzlies it looked like Wall was trying to get KPJ more involved as opposed to icing him out like he always does but those two will never work.

D-rock and mac_got_this like this.
  19. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

His midrange is money. He needs to go to his bread and butter more often but I know stone and the team probably talk to him about that shot. They need to talk to Wall about his long twos...

gfab-babyboi and BigggReddd like this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya he has a really soft touch mid range and inside the paint that usually bodes well that eventually hell develop a consistent three point shot.