1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. - how good can he be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 28, 2021.

?

What is your prediction on KPJ’s career?

Poll closed Apr 27, 2021.
  1. Franchise player

93 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Borderline Allstar

150 vote(s)
    56.4%
  3. Role Player

22 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Benchwarmer

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Are we really rehashing the Green height discussion in a KPJ thread? Come on, y’all.

harold bingo likes this.
  2. awc713

awc713 Member

KPJ/Green is certainly one of the most interesting backcourt combos in the league, that’s for sure. Kudos to Stone and luck…our team at least has some semblance of a path to competitiveness if the two can really gel (and improve), along with Sengun and the rest of our young talent. We need one or more of our players to materialize into a top 10-15 type player to ever really have a shot, though. That’s just the nature of the NBA. Maybe KPJ can get to the outskirts of that echelon…I don’t think it’s likely but I think he has a shot…he can be a top 5-7 guard if it all clicks, maybe his ceiling is a top 20-25 player, with realistic ceiling is more in the top 40-50 range.

3. vator

vator Contributing Member

Weird to me how some people on this site like to police what other people want to talk about instead of just going on to the next topic if it’s of no interest to them. Or maybe even reply to one of the many other posts I or others have made in this very thread about other things instead. I literally do that probably 10 times per day on this site alone. If I want to ask other opinions if it looks like JG grew and appears to be closer to height to KPJ than he was at the start of the season when KPJ was going around claiming to have grown to be 6’6, that seems like a reasonable enough inquiry to me. Both KPJ’s height and JG’s height were hot topics of discussion just a few months ago.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

KPJ said he was 6'6" but has anyone verified that? I know that Green measured at 6'4".....he might have grown too.....so yeah, who cares if people don't like the discussion.....seems a legit one to talk about.

DD

vator likes this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

until he can learn to shoot consistently and not have atrocious levels of inefficiency, I’m not high on him

a PG that can’t shoot is a no-no

dude so far is a bootleg James Harden starter kit

6. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

There was a thread in the offseason about KPJ where we talked about the most important thing for KPJ to improve upon and I said this same thing...honestly nothing else matters if you can't score efficiently. Not everyone is gonna be at Curry or Harden levels of efficient, I get it, but nobody can play serious minutes in this league with a sub 50% TS. If he can't improve his shooting/scoring efficiency then his development in all the other areas is irrelevant, he's unplayable.

jcmoon and Reeko like this.
  7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Porter just prevents Green’s growth at this point. I don’t think they mix well. Porter on a wide open fastbreak passed up an easy lob and went for the selfish play instead.

jcmoon and pippendagimp like this.
  8. DaDakota

The Porter giveth and the Porter taketh away, been pretty bad tonight.

DD

jcmoon and vator like this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

yup, his limitations when it comes to scoring and efficiency would be glaring in any sort of meaningful game

Rockets can’t be investing in a PG that can’t shoot as their future for the position

jcmoon likes this.
  10. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

lol.......................i love quick takes after a poor game. these two can play very well together. Going to take a few seasons, but there have been instances of great work together this season. Especially the lobs to Green

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I’ve said it for a while now. His best case scenario is Lance Stephenson

12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Quick takes? Porter has not been great at PG all year.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  13. Bo6

Bo6 Member

his mechanics on his jumpshot change every game. that was the one thing i really wanted him to work on in the off-season.

14. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

KPJ was a project coming from Cleveland. He has had flashes but overall he shouldn't be seen as the answer at pg for this team moving forward. The pg and pf positions are priorities.

jcmoon likes this.
  15. DaDakota

That is CAP!

Porter has been up and down, had some good games, some crap ones....same for Green and Sengun - all the young guys.

We got out done by a smarter veteran team tonight, we fell for their tricks......because we are young and dumb....

DD

jcmoon likes this.
  16. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

He started off slow, since he came back from injury he has been good. Coming in to tonight he had recorded at least 9 assists in 4 of his last 6 games............the teams record in that span was 5-1

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he went selfish on 2on0 and 2on1 fastbreaks tonite… absolutely inexcusable

18. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Playing more like moochie Norris

19. DaDakota

I do think that KPJ contorts his body on his drives to avoid contact and it is causing him to miss, he should just accept the contact, draw the foul and score at the line.

DD

jcmoon likes this.
  20. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

If porter isn't missing layups, he's missing dunks??

jcmoon likes this.