1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. - how good can he be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 28, 2021.

?

What is your prediction on KPJ’s career?

Poll closed Apr 27, 2021.
  1. Franchise player

93 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Borderline Allstar

150 vote(s)
    56.4%
  3. Role Player

22 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Benchwarmer

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The one sequence I hated last night was when Porter missed a free throw and was so animated about it, trying to garner sympathy from his teammates. Like, how about you go to practice and get more reps in at shooting free throws? No one at this level is going to pat you on your butt during a game and tell you it's okay you'll get them next time, unique snowflake. But maybe that's what he's expecting based on the "kid gloves" treatment he's apparently getting from the franchise.

CHAMPBOY likes this.
  2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

There are many questionable moves Silas makes, which makes him very questionable as the future head coach. Usually you can tell when bad teams are still well coached, just lacking talent. Then there's teams like the Rockets where the talent is not there yet but you can also tell that the coaching is lacking as well.

saleem, Joe Rocket and steddinotayto like this.
  3. steddinotayto

Yet there are some on here who's convinced "it ain't coaching" :rolleyes:

Joe Rocket and Denovo like this.
  4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's not all coaching. The Rockets clearly have no point guard which makes things difficult. But you'd like to see much more from Silas, which has been disappointing.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  5. steddinotayto

I gripe a lot about coaching (specifically Silas) is because that's the one variable that can help tell us what kind of players we have. An average-level head coach should be able to get his team playing within some kind of structure and proper execution. If there's structure and proper execution and your players are still making idiotic mistakes then you know you probably need to move on from that player. But if there's no proper baseline in terms of structure...how do you know the idiotic mistakes that a player makes is entirely on the player? It could very well be a situation where the coach is not providing enough guidance and knowledge on how to execute, leaving his players to fend for themselves.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  6. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So just posing some questions

If/when the team determines that KPJ is not the starting PG for this team, what should be done with him? Make him the first guard off the bench in a combo guard role? Move him to another position in the starting lineup (maybe the 2 or 3)? Trade him?

From my perspective, the combination of his poor shooting skills and his size makes it hard to find another role for him. He’s really not tall or strong enough to play the 3 and a 2 who can’t shoot is rarely worthy of minutes. That leaves the backup 1, but his lack of basketball IQ means he won’t work as a floor general and again his lack of shooting makes him a dubious combo guard.

So I’d be inclined to use him in a trade for a real PG but that poses a new set of issues. If we let him remain the starting PG, I’m afraid his play will tank his trade value. On the other hand, if we decide to pull him from the starting PG spot until a trade presents itself, will he have a meltdown like he did in Cleveland that could tank his value even more.

I don’t think the team is at a decision point right now, but I think it’s worth pondering what the options are.

Corrosion and 34to11 like this.
  7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

My thinking is that Stone probably knows that the moment the coaching staff decides to make that change, he needs to be ready on his end to make decisions if things are going to go south quick.... which IMO is why the coaching staff hasn't changed his role yet after ample evidence it should be changed.

Honestly... I dont see too many teams trading for him because teams from a scouting perspective are too good now, and they know the likelihood that he ends up just getting waived because the team won't be able to deal with him at the demotion phase. So few teams are going to offer assets when the know he'll be free to pick up off the waiver wire anyways.

I'm just glad they didn't give up a pick of real value for him like Morey did with TWill. I'll be shocked if this guy is a Rocket by the end of the season, and he's likely to have a Hassan Whiteside type of journey through the NBA unfortunately. Player personality plays such a huge part in drafting and trading for young players. You have to be so careful to not waste precious assets that only a team like the Heat or Spurs can cash out on at your expense years down the road.

subtomic likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think the Rockets coaching staff and front office will give KPJ the entire season to see if he figures it out.

If he doesn't, it's probably going to be middle of next season when he's moved.

saleem likes this.
  9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I agree with this .... and it's probably the right way to approach it.

Part of that is the fact that there just aren't any point guards available either in the coming draft and not in the next two years of free agency. Maybe one shakes loose in a trade ....

The options are limited and they may as well see this experiment to its conclusion.

Honestly I'd like to see him play with someone who has some gravity at the 2 spot .... Teams really pack the paint with him & Green on the court.

KPJ
    Brooks
    Tate
    KJ
    Sengun

Let Green , Wood & Theis run the second unit with Augustin.

I dunno what the hell its gonna take to get KJ more minutes .... That's downright baffling to me. The next time we see House on the court over KJ someone needs to slap the stupid outa Silas.

10. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Why do people keep trying to punish Green for KPJ's ineptitudes LMAO. Kid is a three week rookie and he cant get a break but KPJ gets every break possible while not being able to pass as a point guard LMAO. "KPJ sucks as a point guard lets bench Green" LOL

cheke64 likes this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You take that the wrong way.

Problem is that teams pack the paint when both of them are on the court , Green has no gravity as a shooter. Put someone out there that's a threat to hit those open 3's and maybe that opens things up for KPJ.

Moving Green to the second unit isn't necessarily punishing him either - It puts him with a point guard who can get him open looks in Augustin and he's not defending the other teams best guards all night either , he should get some easier buckets.

What they are doing isn't working , may as well try something else.

12. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Green can shoot open threes he doesnt get them. Try putting someone out there who actualyl passes to open shooters lol

13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Green leads the Rockets in both “Open” and “Wide Open” 3 point attempts per game.

“Wide Open” : 2.5 per game at 32.1%
    “Open” : 3.4 per game at 21.6%

So it’s actually the opposite. He’s getting them and missing them pretty badly.

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Like I said , Green has no gravity as a shooter ....

15. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

16. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Thanks to Silas not playing Augustin in the first half. Those Green passes were damn awful.

GotGame15 and saleem like this.
  17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He played a nice game tonight. I still don’t think he’s a PG, but he showed the potential.

GotGame15, Joe Rocket and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I like KPJ, I think he can be a playmaking 2 guard. But forcing him to be a facilitator doesn’t play to his strengths imo. I said it before the season, he and Jalen are a bit redundant. Specially if Gordon is on the team.

GotGame15, saleem and Hank McDowell like this.
  19. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think he can play PG, but more of a modern PG. I guess they call it a combo guard. He needs his scoring to set up his playmaking. If you look at his stats last year he actually averaged more assists than he is this year. This year he's trying to be a Rondo/Cp3 type point guard, a more traditional style, and I don't think he's very good at that style. A lot of possessions have all these screens, hand offs, and passes that accomplish very little, and that leaves him to take a tough contested shot as the shot clock is winding down, which contributes to his lower efficiency. I think he'll find more success distributing if he looks to score more often, and play more aggressive, and then use that scoring gravity to suck in defenders and just hit the open man.

Williamson, Plowman and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty much what I’m thinking just worded differently. I don’t think a combo lead guard is what this team needs personally, need a pass first lead guard that can run an offense.
    Ideally he’s playing off guard or 6th man imo

harold bingo likes this.