1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. - how good can he be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 28, 2021.

?

What is your prediction on KPJ’s career?

Poll closed Apr 27, 2021.
  1. Franchise player

93 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Borderline Allstar

150 vote(s)
    56.4%
  3. Role Player

22 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Benchwarmer

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Kinda ruined your whole argument when you said you expect KPJ to average 6 assists a game. He averaged 6.5 last season despite splitting time at SG.

And I like to use the most recent data when evaluating a player. So, yes, I’ll track his preseason shooting averages, because, guess what: Players improve, especially those who started at 19.

Verbal Christ and D-rock like this.
  2. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I meant in the 6’s and I said over the whole season, not 20 games. He is still learning the position and many point guards average the same or very similar numbers for years and many starting point guards never average 7 or 8 apg for a season in their career. And, yes, it is possible for stats to drop any given year.

3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Care to make a wager? I’ll bet 50 to the tip jar that KPJ averages 7+ assists this season. If he plays fewer than 40 games, it’s a push.

D-rock likes this.
  4. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Watching the team so far: I really like Sengun. Makes smart and creative plays, particularly for his age.

I don't like KPJ. Obviously he has talent. But he makes too many poor decisions and doesn't use or involve his teammates well.

My current opinion is that KPJ will have more value in trade, because of his talent, than he will as a Rocket on the court. But he's young, so I'll wait to see how he develops.

ashleyem, bmelo, CXbby and 6 others like this.
  5. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. This is why I wonder when Silas is going to put his foot down amd actuslly start guiding the young man. He needs direction. Hopefully it is just a learning curve.

NewAge, saleem and Will like this.
  6. i3artow i3aller

7. 34to11

34to11 Member

Agreed.

The real problem there though, is with him playing at such a crucial position his volatility has the potential to affect/impede the growth and development of other players on the team.

That's why, to me, more important than counting stats is seeing how quickly he can grasp the mental aspect of being an offense initiator and lead facilitator.

Bo6 likes this.
  8. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I hope he takes some pride in getting better on the defensive end.

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Just a reminder - Scooter has played about 30 games as an NBA point guard.

That is all.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I wouldn't be surprised if he's waived or traded within the next year if he fails to be a legit starting PG. We would have to find one. Jalen Green is NOT a ball-handler right now.... and we picked him at #2, I think we'd have to attempt to support his career growth over praying KPJ will put it together if he underperforms in that role.

Would KPJ accept the 6th/7th man role being a spark plug off the bench in that scenario? Not getting major minutes every night? He absolutely should in theory but clearly, he's had issues.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

KPJ should have played in summer league as PG.

34to11, HTown_TMac, BigM and 2 others like this.
  12. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

[​IMG]

CXbby likes this.
  13. bmelo

bmelo Member

Hes just DAngelo Russel. Has no bbiq

14. HeyBudLetsParty

You guys are some clowns for expecting him to be a superstar in the preseason in his age 21 season. He’s playing a new position with a brand new team and the coach has said they’re not going to run plays till the start of the season. It’s likely we’ll get some better version of what we got last year with hopefully more consistency. Give the roster of a bunch of 19-20 year olds time to grow and make mistakes and learn to play with each other. KPJ will have games this year where he looks like a superstar and some where he looks like a lost 21 year old. Him, Jalen, Sengun should get free reign to tank the season and get bullied around by veteran teams. This is a 3-5 year rebuild not a 1 year reset.

Denovo, Bo6, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Reminder: your eye test is not always reliable.

Scoot and Snipa have been the most efficient players for Rockets this preseason.

Porter has the most points and Armoni has the best TS%.

And it really hasn't been even close.

16. vator

vator Contributing Member

This isn’t an eye test argument. Reason being, as far as stats go, we’ve only played 3 games and he’s been dog **** in two of them. So my advanced stats say he’s been awful in 67% of our games lol.

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You need one with a milk carton. Have you seen me? I'm a "pg".

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

He is a first time PG, if it was easy then every player could do it.

What is your hurry, this team as currently constructed is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Dobbizzle, Verbal Christ and Denovo like this.
  20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Someone wants to be the first to say "SEE I told you he would be trash" and then pin a ribbon to their chest.

D-rock likes this.