1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. - how good can he be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 28, 2021.

?

What is your prediction on KPJ’s career?

Poll closed Apr 27, 2021.
  1. Franchise player

93 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Borderline Allstar

150 vote(s)
    56.4%
  3. Role Player

22 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Benchwarmer

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. vator

vator Contributing Member

Can you explain, other than his uncontested breakaway dunks what he does athletically that really jumps out to you while he is playing? Note, I acknowledge he is a good athlete, but he is no D Wade out there.

bmelo likes this.
  2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

This is pretty fair. I see him as an elite ball handler, his defense is improving as well as his shot. He is also a very good passer that may evolve to elite. I think he is our future PG and a very good one at that. We will see if he can become a franchise player, but it is not beyond the realm of possibility.

vator likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

KPJr’s athleticism doesn’t wow me, but he has excellent body control and is very shifty/creative

he’s like Harden minus the strength and elite shooting ability/efficiency

bmelo, 34to11, clos4life and 2 others like this.
  4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Virtually every athletic aspect about KPJ jumps out at me. He’s tall, he’s strong, he’s fast. There’s literally not a single unauthentic quality about him. Kevin Love was completely right about him. IMO, he’s the best athlete on the team and it’s not really close in my mind.

You are looking for “stand out” qualities, but I’d argue literally every aspect of his game stands out. He’s shooting 45% from 3 this season. Unlike you, I think his first step is great. He’s got fantastic handles and court vision — wouldn’t be surprised if he averaged 8 assists this season. That’s what’s great about him — since he has no real drawback offensively, nothing seems to standout. That’s what you want from a PG. Need him to facilitate, he can do that. Need him to score, he can do that. Just go check out the list of players who have notched 50 and 10 games and you’ll understand why I’m so high on him.

As a demonstrative, look at this move at around 0:55. It’s damn near a work of art.

#724 Houston77, Oct 8, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Curious, how would you compare him to Zach Lavine?

Edit: LOL - I thought you were describing Green.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

I see him as a more explosive Harden but lacks the craftiness, vision, strength and willingness to completely take over games.

Harden is a cold blooded scorer.

Reeko likes this.
  7. HeyBudLetsParty

I think we need to temper the expectations on him consistently putting up 25/8/5, he’s still so young and ahead of most players his age. Also think he could benefit from letting Sengun do some playmaking like they do with Murray and Jokic in Denver. Overall expect him to be on track to be an all star by the time he’s 25, which is literally 4 seasons away.

ROCK3TM4N, Bo6 and D-rock like this.
  8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

At 20 years of age, Harden averaged 9.9 a game. Porter 16.6
    Harden didn't average 16+ to his 3rd season

Obviously there are extenuating circumstances and opportunities that led to those outcomes. But the potential is there with Porter jr to be a 20+ pig guy.

Note: I am not at all suggesting Porter will be anywhere near as good a scorer as Harden - whose accomplishments hit historical levels! But KPjr does have something to his game that resembles Hardens style of changing speed

D-rock likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Do not get me wrong, I am the BIGGEST Scoot homer on CF.

I was imploring Stone to add him to the Harden trade when JA and Prince were sent to Cavs.

But he is not Harden.

He does have some Harden-esque qualities but it's a heavy burden to ask him to replace an MVP.

vator and DrNuegebauer like this.
  10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Absolutely!!

I can see him going 20 and 8 this year, but it depends on how many shots he takes

D-rock likes this.
  11. NewAge

NewAge Member

not only he’s young but he hasn’t gotten any consistent playing time. He was out of the rotation in Cle, then G-league, position change…

He’s not elite yet at any facet, but he’s just getting his start now in a healthy and consistent situation for his development. The prototype is that of a big scoring playmaker of the LeBron-Harden-Luka type, but those guys have had much healthier and consistent development trajectory.

If he keeps working and moving steadily forward he can be a superstar, I truly see the potential.

Bo6 and D-rock like this.
  12. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

He is not consistent at all, if he wants to be a top starter or all star he needs to be consistent

He scored: 12 points, 4 assists and 4 turnovers against Heat
    25 points, 5 assists and 4 turnovers against Wizards

He is consistent with turnovers but not points yet, I know he is only 21 years old but JaMorant is a up and coming star and Michael Porter Jr is a up and coming star. No excuses if he is going to be a STAR he needs to be on their level in scoring.

13. 34to11

34to11 Member

This is my take almost exactly.
    I agree on virtually all points you listed.

That said, I am mindful that he is essentially an OJT point guard so early expectations have to be tempered. It's clear there are elements of the position that don't come naturally to him.

But every now and then he does show flashes of exceptional talent and potential so I can see why some around here are so enamored with him.

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

That's also because the Wizards are bad and the Heat is very good defensively.

kPJ despite his athletic abilities does not have a quick first step like Harden, nor is he nearly as strong. He needs to exploit holes in the opponents defense to get to the rim, that is hard to do against great defensive teams. Both him and Green for stripped and blocked a bunch of times trying to force a drive.

In order for Porter to be a starter pg in this league he needs to practice his 3's because that can make up for his lack of first step

15. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

He scored 50 on Milwaukee and most of that was against Jrue.

Houston77 and D-rock like this.
  16. Bo6

Bo6 Member

man ya'll trying way too hard to extrapolate data from 2 pre-season games.

KPJ will continue to be a very volatile player for a couple more years at least. Like other posters mentioned he is not only young but has not had a stable basketball background since???

I expect a lot of great games and a lot of stinkers... but unlike some, I am going to enjoy the process of development (which is a lot longer route than most people expect).

Verbal Christ likes this.
  17. Houston77

Supporting Member

Darn, beat me to it.

D-rock likes this.
  18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

That doesn't mean much for one game. He made 9 threes that night, when he's usually a .32 percent 3 point shooter.

His whole game opened up that night because he was drilling step back 3's. When he doesn't make those 3's his offense is not nearly as consistent or reliable.

34to11 likes this.
  19. Houston77

Supporting Member

“Usually?” He played in 20 games last season as a 20 year old. Do you really not see how silly it is to make grand statements about a 21 year old based on past, sporadic game time?

D-rock likes this.
  20. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

KJ Martin is by far the most athletic on the team. Not even close. That guy is a freak of nature. KPJ is an elite athlete but not elite within the NBA.

You can’t use the preseason to talk about his shooting. Seriously. His body of work in the NBA and G league says he is average at best. But below average at higher volume. He also doesn’t have great shot selection. His first step is fine but he is really inconsistent in attacking the basket so I don’t think he can be called an elite finisher. His handle is decent for a conversion PG. His vision and passing IQ is a weakness. That is why he turns it over a lot. Also a lot of his passes aren’t in a great spot so even if it isn’t a turnover the receiving player is often thrown out of rhythm.

Basically he needs to work on a lot. There is potential but it is too early to say he is elite and has no holes in his offensive game. That is absurd. Also only 7 players averaged 8 or more apg last year. It is unfair to KPJ to expect that. I think 6 over a whole season is more realistic and fair because he is not a natural point.

Corrosion likes this.