1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. - how good can he be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 28, 2021.

?

What is your prediction on KPJ’s career?

Poll closed Apr 27, 2021.
  1. Franchise player

93 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Borderline Allstar

150 vote(s)
    56.4%
  3. Role Player

22 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Benchwarmer

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Our core is so young that I think C.Wood might not even be on our timeline unless we don't have to max him.

2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Its not simply on him. Tilman and stone needs to be sure hea surrounded by competent people whill make sure he can handle the pressure and ups and downs.

3. dmoneybangbang

He looked much more like a point guard in his first pre season game.

roslolian likes this.
  4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Nah, I don't get triggered by trash, especially mental retreads too busy sucking off a player our FO seems to have no real interest in. It would be like getting mad at a piece of furniture or a bird crapping on your car, pointless.

5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

a very mature / calm / poised PG at that

saleem and Denovo like this.
  6. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Kevin Porter Jr always had potential. Now he is evolving as a Star Point Guard.

saleem likes this.
  7. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Reminded me of Kevin Porter Jr and how he Evolved as a Star Point Guard

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

#Triggered

LMAO

Calling Porter trash now.

C'mon give us another medical diagnosis on Wood, you know you want too.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

This is what I'm saying. It's like the gap between Kobe and Shaq.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Having JayGup, Green and Kmart is great for his mental, just having a bunch of peers also going thru the same things he is.

Great job by our FO taking into account chemistry and the human aspect of players on top of just getting talent. He definitely hit multiple birds with 1 stone.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Durant is big fan of KPJ.

And Harden is his mentor.

12. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I think Kevin Durant recruited the wrong Lefty. Should've recruited this Lefty Kevin Porter Jr.

Lol

James Harden literally is thinking about leaving the Nets for even more money. Kyrie Irving is thinking about Retirement.

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And, our picks are looking better by the day.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

15. PatBev

PatBev Member

How would y’all be feeling without KPJ in this rebuild and it was just Wall/Green/Wood

Would Tillman have paid for 4 first rounders or do you think the hype of having the duo of KPJ/Green is opening up his pocketbook? Would Stone have brought in more veterans will Wall & Wood or did KPJ help ease the decision of going full teenagers

clos4life, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

cwood is a rare talent...you max him if you have to...look at middleton and jrue, older players both signed to 33 million per that won the title for yannis

clos4life and D-rock like this.
  17. vator

vator Contributing Member

I'm a little conflicted with what I think his ceiling is as a player. I don't see him as a superstar talent though. That doesn't mean I think he is going to suck, I'm just not sold on him as a franchise-level player. I know this will anger some, but sorry, that's my opinion and I hope I'm wrong because the Rockets are and have been my favorite team for decades. I don't want to be right on this one. I can explain though.

He just doesn't do anything at an elite level. He is not yet a highly efficient scorer and when you break his offensive package down to off the ball movement, passing, ball handling, being able to at any time beat his man off the dribble and attack the rim like top tier point guards, finishing at the basket, mid-range shooting, and 3 point shooting, he doesn't do any of those things at an elite level. Not saying he needs to be able to do ALL of those things, that's crazy, but for him to be a star, some of those areas need to improve exponentially. He is a really good athlete, but I wouldn't put him in the elite tier in that category either. He can dunk, but his first step isn't all that explosive, and he doesn't compensate for that with the strength to bully his way to the basket and power through contact.

Granted he is very young and I expect him to show growth and improvement over the years with his decision making, passing, shooting, ball-handling, and strength so there is a chance. I'm not saying there is no possible road for him to get there, but I think the more likely scenario if he reaches his full potential is he just ends up being a really good player. A borderline all-star type of guy and considering where he came from and what was given up to get him, I would say that is a huge win for the organization.

34to11, J.R. and ashleyem like this.
  18. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I feel the same. I think Christopher could end up developing into a better player.

Corrosion and vator like this.
  19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I completely disagree regarding your assessment of his athletic abilities. He absolutely is a elite level athlete IMO. That is his separating attribute.

D-rock likes this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

[​IMG]

D-rock, steddinotayto and vator like this.