1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. - how good can he be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 28, 2021.

?

What is your prediction on KPJ’s career?

Poll closed Apr 27, 2021.
  1. Franchise player

93 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Borderline Allstar

150 vote(s)
    56.4%
  3. Role Player

22 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Benchwarmer

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

It looks like after the Oladip-Clutchfans-homerism debacle Porter Jr is the next one in line to be burdened by the forum expectations.

Kid has shown some potential, but far from being top 50 trade value. Not even 10 games of potential in a row.

2. ROCKETrobert

ROCKETrobert Member

He's one of the few reasons to watch the current team. I say within two years the he is an allstar and four years that he is a franchise player. I am just not sure he will be a franchise player with the Rockets. He patterns his game around Harden and talks to him on a regular basis. If he has a beef with the Rocket organization he may pull a "Harden" and request a trade in the near future.....

3. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Wtf the guy has only played like 4 games

conquistador#11 and saleem like this.
  4. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

He is a solid piece.

Above average guards are a dime a dozen in the league however.

I hope he continues to grow and add to his game.

I wonder if KPJ and JW can co-exist as a new backcourt duo.

With Wood and House, all we would need is a PF that can bang in the paint with a consistent shot. A more physical presence to complement Wood.

5. thekad

thekad Member

Yeah, Spencer Dinwiddie is a good comp. Can come off the bench and produce points on league average efficiency.

Still young though so hopefully his defense and shooting improve.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

That’s not his ceiling.

7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

KP jr has both Point Guard and Shooting Guard skills.

Jalen Green can hang in the air like the great Michael Jordan. Jalen and MJ were/are both thin at 19 years of age. Jordan spent 3 years in college
    prior to entering the NBA and MJ was not a good shooter coming out of college. Shot about 17% from 3 in the first few years in the NBA. Jalen
    is miles ahead of MJ in many aspects of the game, especially 3-point shooting at age 19.

So if a team can move KP jr to PG and have Jalen Green at SG, you do it. That tandem as your back court could dominate for the next 10 to 15 years.

8. clos4life

clos4life Member

I think he can be a franchise player but not likely.

9. Rockets4Life13

Either people around here are really clueless or don’t understand the word ‚ceiling‘.

because watching KPJ in every game with the rockets and in the G-league it is crystal clear that he has franchise player talent. Whether or not he will reach that is not the point

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think they can co-exist together. There is an additional point that I would like to make. Since Kevin is a PG and a scorer, Green will have to become a secondary passer instead of being an explosive scorer/shooter in order to augment Kevin's overall game.

Porter Jr isn't a Jason Kidd type, as you have pointed out.

raining threes, Bo6 and ApacheWarrior like this.
  11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I mean people need to watch the god damn games.

Some people are just really bad at evaluating talent.

Comparing him to MCW is a joke. When you watch KPJ, you see advanced ball handling skills for a 6'5" possibly 6'6"(maybe his hair makes him look taller) player who is only 20. Many high draft picks with the physical tools coming in at 19 don't have those refined ball handling skills. Look at the number 1 pick this past draft in Edwards for example. Not only are his ball handling skills are refined he has that change of pace ability that advanced pgs learn over time like CP3 and Harden where they learned to do stuff like hip check defenders to stay behind them as they are trying to seek out a floater or find a open teammate. These are things he's doing at 20.

We haven't even started with his finishing ability. His soft touch around the rim and using the glass is really good and he can leap and control his body at a high degree making tough contorted double clutch lay ups consistently.

At 20 he's a very streaky shooter. But he can definitely create his shot easily. I expect his shooting over time if he has the work ethic will advance. J don't think he'll ever be an elite shooter but still can be a good shooter especially off the dribble.

Let's also mention that Kevin Love while still being teammates with Sexton said that KPJ was their most talented player and he said that he felt comfortable saying it because the entire team agreed with him. Sexton is a franchise level player.

#51 fchowd0311, Mar 28, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It's likely his ceiling.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He played in Cleveland last year

14. fchowd0311

I don't think you know what "ceiling" means. When you say "likely" that shows you don't understand what the concept means. You are saying what you believe he will turn into. You are saying that's his most likely outcome. That isn't "ceiling".

15. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

His post makes no sense. His two valid criticisms — shot selection and defense — are the exact areas players tend to develop over time. He ignored KPJ’s positive aspects — elite handling, athleticism, and court vision — which are attributes that are not developed as easily. Oh, and the arguments “he doesn’t contribute to winning” and “doesn’t make others better” are the war cries of someone without a valid point.

#55 Houston77, Mar 28, 2021
  16. fchowd0311

Ya those are pretty dumb talking points. When is a 20 year old who has only one full NBA season under his belt surrounded by a below average roster going to "contribute to winning"?

Pretty dumb talking points.

#56 fchowd0311, Mar 28, 2021
    raining threes likes this.
  17. Bo6

Bo6 Member

his finishing ability is incredibly natural and already elite. he also reads the PnR/ Defenses at an extremely advanced level that it's quite shocking for a 20 year old. he doesn't seem to force shots and lets the game come to him.

i'm trying to temper expectations but what i'm seeing, man it's hard not to be excited. he is one of the most talented players i've ever seen.

for me to take that next level he needs to work on his shot technique. it's pretty funky and the release is way too low and motion is a bit labored.

#57 Bo6, Mar 28, 2021
  18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Well let's look at some numbers, per basketball-reference.com

Porter jr: Houston in 8 games 34.1% (ast%)............26.9% (USG%)
    ................Cavs (last season)....13.9% (ast%)…..........20.5% (USG%) *I've noted that Cavs used Porter jr wrong. Silas is maximizing his skills.
    but note RGV Vipers stats:.......32.3% (ast%).............29.9% (USG%) *So system is suppose to be used by our affiliate Vipers.

Eric Gordon: 15.0% (ast%).........25.3% (USG%) *so if EG and Harden or EG and Wall can coexist then Porter/Green can coexist.
    Jalen Green: 13.5% (ast%)........23.4% (USG%) very similar to E Gordon. *with Ignite
    John Wall: 37.0% (ast%)............31.9% (USG%) *Highest USG% by Wall in his 10 year career. 3rd lowest ast%. His 1st two yrs were 36.0% & 36.9%.

So Wall and E Gordon will be in the way; but it's a changing of the guards (no pun intended) type situation. Cade also works in this equation because Porter can also stay at SG. Silas system promotes passing from all 5 men on the court.

Case of more options being a luxury. Figuring out how to unload Wall/E Gordon after a season of mentoring Porter/Green or Porter/Cade.

saleem likes this.
  19. CXbby

CXbby Member

Spencer Dinwiddie at age 21 and 22 was shooting 30% from the field and 18% from 3 averaging 4 points a game. Much worse numbers than Porter put up as a 19 year old rookie. Just when you think some people couldn't get dumber, they up the ante.

20. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Can't go wrong with Cade Mobley or Green. Both Cade and Green can flat out shoot. mobley again is one of those prospects i see taking some time to develop. Especially an nba ready frame. That may take a year or two.