1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. - how good can he be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 28, 2021.

?

What is your prediction on KPJ’s career?

Poll closed Apr 27, 2021.
  1. Franchise player

93 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Borderline Allstar

150 vote(s)
    56.4%
  3. Role Player

22 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Benchwarmer

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. DaneB

DaneB Member

It’s so damn easy for us to look at where Harden is and compare him to KPJ and say “he’s not there” yet. When Harden was traded to us at the age of 23, yes, he immediately made a difference. He had 3 years on KPJ. He also had a ways to go to be the great player he is now though. I can remember in the playoffs Derek Fisher guarding him and utterly exhausting him. He seemingly brought something new every single season. He increased his endurance and stamina each season. Initially when teams started throwing double teams at him every single possession, he didn’t know what to do, but he kept working at and even got over that...I think finally these last two playoffs you knew what you were going to get from him. He seemed to still have some energy in the tank.

KPJ is young, the potential is totally there. He’s got to really want it and work on it. It would be awesome if he constantly reached out to Harden like Kobe to Jordan. He plays all summer, continues to work...We’re lucky to have, especially since we basically got him for free. This will be fun!

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

EG and Corey Brewer scored 50 ....

One night does not a career make.

I think we've known since the day KPJ showed up he had that type of talent. Question is if he can do it on a consistent basis.

DaDakota, gogispade and saleem like this.
  3. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Don't compare role players to a Star.

4. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

EG and Brewer did not add 11 assists. No one who wasn’t all-NBA has done that.

of course one night doesn’t make a career, and it’s just as absurd to ask him to have a career night on a consistent basis. But no role player has EVER had a night like that.

I don’t know what it would take for some of you to get at least as excited about the guy doing this in the NBA as you are for the guy whose team lost to a 12th seed in March (and that guy will be stud ... but I’d love to read the “putting up numbers on a bad team - let’s trade him and get more ping pong balls” takes by some here if he were already on our team).

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm not sure why KPJr switches from his left hand to his right hand when he goes to make a layup. It's tough to do that, and it will be harder to pull that off against smarter, quicker and tougher defenders.
    @heypartner

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The youngest player before to score double digit assists and 50 pts was Lebron at 23.

Stop it dude. Corey Brewer's 50 was a obvious fluke from all the leak out fastbreaks he had that game while KPJ was shaking elite defenders in pick and roll and iso plays.

And neither of those guys did it at 20. The only guy who who scored that much at 20 who fizzled out to a mere average starter was Brandon Jennings. Everyone else who scored 5p st that age became a perennial all star at the least.

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You guys didn't read the whole post , just the first line and went out to left field like I was dogging the guy .... Here's the rest of it. Put particular emphasis on the bold.

snowconeman22 and D-rock like this.
  8. fchowd0311

Then why bring up.Corey Brewer and EG?

Roc Paint and cmlmel77 like this.
  9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

To get someone like you to read the first line and go out into left field.

D-rock likes this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You were right to bring them up as a cautionary tale, and not to overeact.

DD

11. Zubby

Zubby Member

Yea I'm optimistic and very enthusiastic for KP but I'm definitely gonna be patient. If any remembers Brandon Jennings he was dubbed the next Iverson after having crazy games early in his career.

DaDakota likes this.
  12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

13. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Can I change my vote to "Franchise Player?

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Take that for data!

#334 D-rock, May 1, 2021
    Last edited: May 1, 2021
    Verbal Christ likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

16. HROZ

HROZ Member

Happy for Porter to get us another win today & hopefully embarass Curry.

17. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

I remember when LBJ got his 50/10 against a 32-50 NYK in 2008, fans and media also let out a collective “meh” and put an asterisks next to it. No one went nuts. No arrival party was thrown. Somebody said so what Corey Brewer will have a 50-point game in 6 years.

I’m proud of CF being so level-headed. It’s like a collective of Asian parents. What!? You got an A+!? You getting spanked for not earning a PhD at 12!

cmlmel77 and fckbandwagons like this.
  18. fchowd0311

LBJ was already established as the best player in the world that time. It's like Harden scoring 50 today. No one is going to be surprised. It's the fact he was 20. I mean he's literally the youngest player ever to scoring 50 and have double digit assists and it was against a team with elite defensive players.

Roc Paint, Deckard and D-rock like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Porter is better than Herro.

Not even as close as these numbers suggest IMO.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well, I selected Franchise player, and so far he seems to have that trajectory, the off court stuff is the only thing that can stop him.

DD