1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Kevin Porter Jr. - how good can he be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 28, 2021.

?

What is your prediction on KPJ’s career?

Poll closed Apr 27, 2021.
  1. Franchise player

93 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Borderline Allstar

150 vote(s)
    56.4%
  3. Role Player

22 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Benchwarmer

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. PhiSlammaJamma

The key is he knows it's possible. Once you've seen one you've seen one. That opens his mind.

chadyang, stevel and runamok like this.
  2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Cautious and tepid is definitely the word .

it seems like on NBA subs they talk about young guys being good like it’s a guarantee .

frankly , wasn’t watching last night , I’m glad kpj had 50 . But , as far as becoming a lead dog or a Batman for a high level team hes still so far away

3. conquistador#11

Fat boy on a diet don't try it

4. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

I think his dribble and pass is better than Gordon as of today

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

I think the best mentor for KPJ is Harden, and they're already at least sort-of friends. Learn to work your ass off to improve, enjoy your off-time without getting into trouble (for the most part), ignore your critics, and bring unselfish baller swag to the court. Do that and everything else will fall into place.

And this would be coming from someone he respects who's already reached close to the top of the profession.

#305 topfive, Apr 30, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  6. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Totally agree. Eric Gordon has never had 10 assists in a game during all his years in Houston. KPJ has done it 4 times in 23 games.

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

[​IMG]

chadyang likes this.
  8. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Could end up being one of the worst trades in league history all because the Cavs rushed to cater to Taurean Prince?

[​IMG]

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

game recognize game
    father recognize son

fckbandwagons and hakeem94 like this.
  10. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

The efficiency and getting 11assists. Even when he had 44, he was passing instead of chucking or looking for points. It was a mature, controlled performance against a very good and motivated team.

As for why our fans don’t universally seem to be excited, it is a combination of having seen one of the best of all time so recently and saying “this 20 year-old isn’t that” ... which is true but not very insightful ... and a “backup QB” phenomenon where they have seen KPJ struggle against NBA competition and somehow don’t recognize the various Jalens and Evans will have the same issues. If we get a Jalen, a year from now they will be saying “he’s a nice complement but we need to tank to get that alpha”.

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

AWESOME

12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

the fact that DD still isn't sold and is bearish is a great sign! i'd be really worried if he was all in. legitemately one of the worst talent evaluators on the board and we have some... uhh.. eclectic members to say the least.

also @CXbby you gotta let morey go. he's gone. he can't hurt you anymore.

13. VanityHalfBlack

Dropping 50 on Milwaukee is not an easy task. I think he should be the #1 option going forward. Seriously 50? And he also got everyone involved. Rockets gonna be scary like 90s basketball scary good.

D-rock and htwnbandit like this.
  14. VanityHalfBlack

You gotta strike while the iron is . Jersey sales, t-shirts! Get it going!!

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

He'll make us forget all about James Harden. 50Burger ftw!

VanityHalfBlack and hakeem94 like this.
  16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

He has the God-given ability to be the greatest if he wants to

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Don’t forget about Jamal Crawford from the Steve Francis draft

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am 100% sold on his abilities, I am worried about the off court stuff getting in the way.

I am rooting like mad for the kid......

And my talent evaluations are spot on - but only for the refined basketball minds......

Weird that you would read what I said and come up with a "Not sold" on him.....seems you are bringing a bullshit bias ....

DD

19. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I watched the game again, his 50 pt. he did it with ease. He had 36 points at the start of the 4th Quarter. I think Bill and Matt didn't think it was a 50 point performance because they didn't mention about KPJ having a monster game until he reached into the 40s. He had an unassuming 11 FTs, he played for the team. Did we forget Jrue Holiday (on All-Defensive Team) guarding him. John Wall was holding him back, waiting for the next triple-double.

20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I don’t know who is officially the youngest to score 50 but KPJ has to be up there as one of the youngest - it’s so rare to have a guy that young score that many points unless you are talking about future HOFers like Lebron. I’m not saying that’s his future, but a 20 yr old doing it against an All NBA PG like Holiday at very least shows you he has that kind of superstar ceiling. I mean 20 years old? ...and this wasn’t like Corey Brewer fluke game thing - he was doing a lot of things he has been doing all season - he just managed to sustain it longer this game. This kid stays focused and he could be a franchise player for us.

Plowman likes this.