1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. arrested for domestic violence

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 11, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That might not be so complex - Stone might not be so basketball savvy as folks here think....or better put He is nothing but a poser.

Typical guy who thinks flashy guys are great and encouraging Dillon to shoot more.

This is that type of guy. At least he has Ime who is sort of an NBA guy who knows his stuff.

MettaWorldPete likes this.
  2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Remember when Sterling Brown and KPJ went to the booby trap in Miami during covid? KPJ partying was going to bite him at some point.

3. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Nope, passion doesn’t make you a winner, I never said that lol.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I’m just catching up today and saw the top line report. Is the report implying that it has been known by law enforcement that there were instances before of domestic abuse?

That would imply that the Rockets certainly would have know too right?

So we most likely have a front office, an owner, and a complicit Rockets media that knew Kevin Porter Jr. was an abuser of women and not only covered for him, but ALSO misled Rockets fans that he was maturing and turning a corner?!?!

I’m a diehard Rockets fan and the hardest thing for me would be abandoning my family but not far behind that is abandoning the Rockets. But OMG if this plays out where the Rockets hid, enabled, and lied about what this monster was doing… I might have to serious think about how I want to be perceived openly supporting an organization from top down, harbored this monster.

HoustonCRT and kubli9 like this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think you know my post history right? You know my options on KPJ...

I think this take is wrong. Because I think "being right" here is people merely probabilistically being right than being right because of some enhanced perception in judging humans.

And I think it's a damage to you as a person if you come away with this take from this because it might make you overzealous in being adamant you are right about another character judgement where you end up being horrifically wrong

Everyone here knows that KPJ had past issues. People from a distance thought he changed. There is nothing wrong with that.

It's not their fault that they were shielded away from apparently other incidents hidden by the organization.

What happened yesterday is such a serious issue. Someone thought they were about to die from strangulation and was severely beaten. Moralizing who's right and wrong and then saying they are APOLOGIZING for KPJ is just kinda gutter level smut.

This issue is too serious to play these games.

These people aren't apologizing for him. Pretty much all those who defended KPJ before immediately stated he needs to be cut as soon as possible and have a prison sentence. Only a couple posters here are doing victim blaming hypotheticals and those are disgusting things they are doing but from my observation it's like two posters. There are so many other posters doing this gotcha game over a serious issue as if it's another option of who's a better scorer.

Also don't confuse empathy for sympathy. People acknowledging KPJ's trouble past is not saying he deserves some leniency. Dude needs to be separated from society and seek high level mental health treatment.

And at freaking 23 there is this depressing gut wrenching feeling of a kid just essentially ending his future.

Xopher and Bobbythegreat like this.
  6. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Is your point that they should have coddled him and turned a blind eye to all of his BS because he may have hurt or killed her sooner if they hadn't? You think they helped him by not disciplining him? Interesting take.

In my opinion by not holding him accountable they destroyed any chance he had of being rehabilitated. Coddling never works. If they really loved him they would have brought the Hammer down on him after the halftime incident. By not doing so they enabled more bad behavior on and off the court. No it's not the organization's fault that he almost killed a woman. But they took on the responsibility of being " father figures" in his life and they failed him miserably. It was obvious from the time they handed out that that one game suspension.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nick,

He’s had his issues going back to high school and every step of the way since.

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/...omestic-violence.320885/page-12#post-14809900

Now we can write them off or excuse them whatever which way…

He was never charged.
    They didn’t happen in Houston (so basically who cares).
    They aren’t as serious as this accusation.
    He was a “kid” and we all make mistakes.
    He came from a tough upbringing.
    Whatever. Spin it any which way. But the history was there.

Yes, the Rockets tried to help him and even they got burned.

“So when would you have cut him J.R.?”

I don’t know, perhaps when he drives off at halftime? I don’t know.
    Instead we got this measly one game suspension and the coach talking about “you love him even more”.

Sure as hell wouldn’t have paid him. (5 KPJ fans were saying “pay him now or he’s gonna get the bag later.” I believe he would’ve been a RFA this past summer?)
    I mean, I guess at least they got some protection on the deal?

How do you build around or keep a guy around where you basically have to walk on eggshells? I have to gauge his mood before practice before knowing how hard I can push him or coach him? WHAT?! Were they scared he might do this to one of them?

“Lucas requires Green to participate in the early sessions on game days. They are optional for Porter, whose attendance has been sporadic. "It's his third year, and I've got to respect that," Lucas says. "I'm waiting for him to come willingly." Lucas compares his approach to Porter's development to "kid gloves," saying he gauges Porter's mood before determining how hard to push him that day. Lucas worries that Porter will tune him out if he demands too much.”

#1187 J.R., Sep 12, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Uhh you claimed you liked that about him and went on about all this other nonsense about his so called aggressiveness and how he plays like he gives a damn. All utter bs

clutchdabear and kubli9 like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This has been the assumption, yes, but surely his friends Josh Christopher and Jalen Green should have known about his tantrums and his abusive behavior towards Kysre..........no way that dumbarse could hide something this big from his favorite teammates.

But you know what they say ..... snitches get stitches and it probably was a brotherhood, just cowards though.

10. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

There is this, from nbcnewyork.com (https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loc...k-choked-her-in-nyc-hotel-attack-ada/4671636/):

"Porter had no previous criminal record in New York, but does have a history of domestic abuse toward the victim, according to court documents, which stated he rammed his car into hers in one incident."

First time for me hearing about that, don't know about the Rockets...

11. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets knew everything.

12. dobro1229

Nope… shame on his teammates for not speaking out or doing something drastic behind the scenes. It seems obvious that the people behind the scenes should’ve had the common sense to know someone is going to get hurt or worse.

Stone, Tillman, and the PR team fooled me as a fan sure… but there’s no way they fooled the players behind the scenes who knew him better than they did.

Shame on Jalen, Christopher, and all the rest of them. At the very least they could have went off the record to and outside media source who wasn’t afraid to make Tillman and Stone look bad.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The deputy District Attorney disclosed that piece of information, yes.

burlesk likes this.
  14. Rocketeer

No I was never that high on him. I NEVER thought that designating him to be a ‘leader’ (per KPJ) was a good idea or being PG. I’ve always been critical of his selfish play, you can look in most KPJ threads last season and find that my comments were all mostly critical. I hated that he was our PG, said it many times. HOWEVER, It doesn’t mean as a fan of the team, I didn’t want him to succeed as a player or a person BEFORE last nights incident. And some of you are trying to come at me for saying that like wtf lol. I’ve stated over and over that the team should cut him, because of his history and last night. I believe he shouldn’t play in the NBA again. Not sure how any of that is a problem to some of y’all lol.

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

The thing about KPJ that I think that is deceiving and why I think he actually isn't a dumbass in certain ways is yes he actually does have a sort of charisma. He comes off really well with the media in things like post game interviews and just in general interviews he does off the court. And I think he is very skilled and knowing the right things to say to convince people that he's stable.

I mean look at what Craig Ackerman said about KPJ a month ago in an interview. Literally said he's one of the most pleasant players on the roster to be around.

Roomba likes this.
  16. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

He's no Juan Soto
    Signed
    Joe Buck

17. Rocketeer

I do like players that play with passion. I don’t think all players that play with passion are winners though. I don’t know how you’re putting those together on my behalf.

18. fchowd0311

Yo what the **** is up with these lame ass speculations. I honestly have rarely seen Green with KPJ off the court. He's mainly around KJ.

This is why I think somd people don't take domestic violence seriously. Throwing around speculations like this willy nilly with no evidence shows that you think of this as a game.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I remember you from 10 years ago, lol, you probably had a hiatus, nah, nothing personal from me, just doing the talk, you know.

Rocketeer likes this.
  20. dobro1229

That’s what I saw too. Seemed to me pretty obvious that the Rockets would have known about these previous incidents and at the same time were telling fans like me how much he’s matured.

This isn’t going to end well for Stone and Tillman or even the teammates. It take ALOT for me to question my loyalty but holy crap this is a test for the ages.