1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. arrested for domestic violence

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 11, 2023.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The CBA clearly states termination of a contract by the team and discipline by the league can happen together.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Then answer why the Rockets have not commented or hinted what they are going to do.

There is a serious reason behind this, I doubt they are thinking this is a trivial matter and should not be addressed.

One member already said, the league can investigate the Rockets too.

For enabling players and knowing very well KPJ rammed his car into hers...but the information is insufficient for me to say for now.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Look, just because something can be done, does not make it the automatic choice.

There is a lot going on, we do not know about......

For example, the league came to the conclusion KPJ is more dangerous than expected when they last vetted him......

And the league strictly warns them to do what is right by the league this one time.

4. heypartner

The Arrest clause Feigen is alluding to mentions “unless underlying circumstances warrant it”

Yet, he’s still contradicting himself (and Woj), bc that wouldn’t be why the team couldn’t discipline right now. It would be bc the League executed their “Double Penalty” clause, which is a clause that puts all discipline in control of the league.

Feigen is making several contradictions (of his previous articles), of Woj, and of the CBA. When so many contradictions are occurring in articles like this, I find it is often due to the source behind the article trying to control the narrative, without clear language they can quote.

5. heypartner

I consider Feigen’s entire article to be just that. Who do you think the source is?

SamFisher likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Feigen is vague as a reporter, it does not anwer any of my suspicions.

He basically only said that KPJ is no member of the Rockets.

Then Bima came with the idea to hold him till the trade deadline and wait for the suspension by Silver to kick in.

And probably just make a futile effort to trade him --- that takes time as well.

To save money. The money goes to charity whatsoevs.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

What would the NBA do, deny the waiver? I don't see anythhing that allows them to do that.

Also, since I'm bothering to read the standard player contract, this was news to me:

Accordingly, the Player agrees that he will not, without the written consent of the Team, engage in any activity that a reasonable person would recognize as involving or exposing the participant to a substantial risk of bodily injury including, but not limited to: (i) sky-diving, hang gliding, snow skiing, rock or mountain climbing (as distinguished from hiking), water or jet skiing, whitewater rafting, rappelling, bungee jumping, trampoline jumping, and mountain biking; (ii) any fighting, boxing, or wrestling; (iii) using fireworks or participating in any activity involving firearms or other weapons; (iv) riding on electric scooters or hoverboards; (v) driving or riding on a motorcycle or moped or four-wheeling/off-roading of any kind; (vi) riding in or on any motorized vehicle in any kind of race or racing contest; (vii) operating an aircraft of any kind; (viii) engaging in any other activity excluded or prohibited by or under any insurance policy which the Team procures against the injury, illness, or disability to or of the Player, or death of the Player, for which the Player has received written notice from the Team prior to the execution of this Contract; or (ix) participating in any game or exhibition of basketball, football, baseball, hockey, lacrosse, or other team sport or competition. If the Player violates this Paragraph 12, he shall be subject to discipline imposed by the Team and/or the Commissioner of the NBA. Nothing contained herein shall be intended to require the Player to obtain the written consent of the Team in order to enable the Player to participate in, as an amateur, the sports of golf, tennis, handball, swimming, hiking, softball, volleyball, and other similar sports that a reasonable person would not recognize as involving or e​

NBA Players can't mountain climb, ride a scooter, ride a motorcycle, fly a plane, use a trampoline.

Baseball no, Softball yes

Water ski Jet ski - no - banana boat - ???

TimDuncanDonaut and napalm06 like this.
  8. heypartner

Yes, I am very suspicious (and have already stated like on Day 3) that the Rockets are planning money savings (or asset mgmt) maneuvers on this … which is still consistent with what they are “hinting” at within Feigen’s articles.

Nook and daywalker02 like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not like most members, I want to know more and most importantly the why behind what the Rox do.

Why are they stalling?

Why is there no transparency?

What do the Rockets and Silver really know about the details behind the scenes......

Easy likes this.
  10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

"We'd love to waive KPJ for committing a horrible crime and generaly being an embarrassment and detrimental to the team with his past behavior, but if we keep him around for FLEXIBILITY reasons we come off as looking like the SMART GUYS here - think of the optics!"

DaDakota likes this.
  11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Right, and Adam Silver has time but the Rockets do not. They have a 2 million dollar hit to the cap for next season if they do not waive him by training camp so time is of essence to the Rockets.

I get Bima's point that he's been making, but the more and more I learn about the CBA/NBA workings here, the more I think I pull the plug of waiving him by EOB on Friday. Give the NBA a couple more days to maybe issue out a judgement, but act for yourself if they are going to drag their feet. Sucks that he'll be getting paid as a reward for being a monster, but the way you read the CBA, I wouldn't be surprised if the NBAPA will fight them on any harsh suspension anyways since he has plead not guilty, etc.

Take the hit now, remove a cloud from the team, and save 2 million in cap next season.

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  12. heypartner

Here’s an old copy of the NBA Constitution and Bylaws. NBA doesn’t always make this public.

https://ak-static-int.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2015/12/NBA-Constitution-and-By-Laws.pdf

It also contains Waiver procedures, nothing that mentions it is considered disciplinary actions, and I defy you to find anywhere that says they need to state a reason.

Corrosion and YOLO like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I already said that....this could be a precedent......what is a precedent...?

Something that has not been added yet?

Making KPJ case the example of something means that they could set a precedent with more serious punishment than ever before......

Something the NBA as an org is determining on the fly.....

At least that is what a lot of NGOs and those people want the NBA to do..... to clamp down on DV perps.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They probably do not need to state a reason but given that this case has huge negative impact internationally....they better be ready with an answer.

People other than hardcore NBA fans and Rockets fans were furious .....mainly people with DV history.

It would be morally good to do that.

15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

KPJ looks like he's 6'6 in that picture, the male cop looks 6'0 and the female cop appears to be 5'7.

What do you think?

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

[​IMG]

Believe It!, Joe Rocket and napalm06 like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

18. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

The sections being quoted are related to discipline/punishment of a player. Waiving a player is not a punishment.

Teams can waive a player any time they like, they don't need a reason/justification. It happens all the time in trades. A team receives a player as part of a trade and then they immediately waive them. The Rockets did exactly that when they traded Theis back to Celtics. We received Enes Kanter Freedom as part of the trade and then we immediately released him. You don't need a "cause".

There's nothing in the CBA that I know of that ever prevents you from waiving a player. You'll still have to pay the guaranteed money in the contract, but you can waive them whenever you like. An NBA contract can guarantee you a specific amount of money but it never guarantees you a place on a roster. It's not the NBA's place to dictate roster makeup ( please don't site the disallowing of the CP3 to Laker's trade. In that scenario, the league was acting in the role of the owners of the Pelicans, not as the administrators of the league).

Nook, Rashmon, AroundTheWorld and 3 others like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It still has not happened. If it were so easy, the Rockets would have done it by now.

If they are still clinging onto the hope they can trade him, they would not waive him now......

All the Rockets have proven by now is that Optics is not the most important thing to them. Never were under Tilman.

Leslie Alexander cared the hell about Optics though.

20. heypartner

Dude, they are trying to trade him. Also, if Silver voids the contract, no money is due vs waiving now. These are reasons why the Rockets might not want to do it right now.

What makes your think lack of waiving indicates anything conclusive wrt what they are allowed to do?

Deckard likes this.