1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. arrested for domestic violence

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 11, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Coupled with serious mental issues and anger management issues.

Male brutish rage can be controlled but only to a degree and it takes a lot of time.

He seems to be at odds with losing it after small events like John Lucas telling him to be more engaged in a game.

Instead of being coachable and taking it to heart, he just completely went off and mad.

#2541 daywalker02, Sep 23, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2023
  2. fattz

fattz Member

The Rockets can suspend / pay him to stay away => they did it with Wall. Here is what they SHOULD DO. Make him go to counseling as part of his suspension. This holds the contact till traded or terminated. Helps the Rockets public relations maybe even start some events to create awareness. Life is not what happens but how one responds. Everything is an opportunity. If the organization does it well, maybe the WNBA comes back to Houston. plays for our diversified city. Thus giving Tilman yet another stream of revenue. The person Porter was abusing was a WNBA player. This could all be tied up into a bow.

daywalker02 likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is this Riquna WIlliams a WNBA player who strangulated her wife- did not get much attention but was similar.

The WNBA and NHL are not going to come back to Houston very soon.....

4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I agree he needs help but DV is definitely a maturity issue. You learn how to handle situations better, you learn how to defuse a situation with a male or female, rather than escalating.

I recently saw this interview with Chris Brown and I immediately thought of KPJ. WE ALL KNOW CB IS A HOT HEAD. But mine you, Chris Brown had his Dad and Mom growing up but he still found himself in a similar situation as KPJ.

And ironically, they talk basketball and the 34yr old Chris Brown says in the interview if he could tell his 15 - 23 yr old self, Ja Morant, and Zion what to do and not do, he said he would not do what they all did BUT it takes MATURITY. Its a good listen. I listened up until the 25 min mark.

#2544 hlmbasketball, Sep 23, 2023
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Clutch put it really well when he said Kevin Porter was just a skilled player but not really a good basketball player.

Meaning he is more of a Streetball and getting your numbers on a bad team type of player and not the basketball player that is contributing to winning.

Not worth the headache esp. when the Rockets have failed with reclamation projects.

They needed someone like Harden or Olajuwon or Yao Ming that really just is a game changer from Day 1.

That is what the Rockets proven to be. Unfortunately.

clos4life and Joe Rocket like this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Most DV offenders are not young. Immaturity only adds to the many factors that lead to the violence. It's not even the main factor.

7. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

No disrespect but you have to take what Clutch says with a grain of salt....he has an agenda.

But my comeback to that would be, when has KPJ ever played on a winning team?

Cleveland was young and below avg at the time and so is Houston. When you're young and on a young roster, you are just learning how to play.

So, my question would be, how can you make that assessment if you have never seen him in that situation? Basically Clutch is guessing, correct?

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Fack this POS who was never cancelled. And fack the women who continue to work with him. No solidarity from those greedy facks.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

1. The Rockets are not a great rebuilding team.
    2. You are having an agenda, are you his agent?
    3. I do agree that there are basketball souls that are worth saving, but I will save spots for other people, these are limited spots.
    4. You take things way too seriously, but mainly the things that were not really important.

Also you mistake NBA teams for orphanages or Mental institutions, rehab centers or Shrinks.

They are none of those. It is a cruel business most fair weather fans revel in.

You are paid tons of millions to play a silly game of ball into a hoop. And the clock is ticking on their success.

#2549 daywalker02, Sep 23, 2023
    fattz likes this.
  10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

These are what the STATICS say;

Victimization

• Overall, 22% of individuals assaulted by a partner at least once in their lifetime (23% for females and 19.3% for males)
    • Higher overall rates among dating students
    • Higher victimization for male than female high school students
    • Lifetime rates higher among women than men
    • Past year rates somewhat higher among men
    • Higher rates of intimate partner violence (IPV) among younger, dating populations “highlights the need for school-based IPV prevention and intervention efforts

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If you gave me a choice of either saving Porter Senior or Porter Junior.

I would rather have saved Porter Senior.

People have agendas based on instincts, intuition and their knowledge, probably getting into contact with DV victims one or the other way.

You are just playing a contrarian against majority of this board.Which is cool I guess.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

13. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

https://fanspo.com/nba/trades/G_wJCyfDJngM6R

Vanvleet - Green - Brooks - Smith - Sengun
    Amen - Robinson - Tate - Eason - Landale
    Holliday - Hudgins - Whitmore - Jeff - Boban

Dump the chump. Help grease the skids for the inevitable Dame to Heat trade. Honestly if it took more picks that's fine too. Robinson is a useful bench shooter and would fit into our roster perfectly. Heat obviously want Dame, idk why they'd balk at this over Herro who is a lesser guard for sure. Portland is getting a good player and a ton of picks for an aging star, is that not the goal?

Corrosion likes this.
  14. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

"daywalker02, post: 14826133, member:
    1. The Rockets are not a great rebuilding team.
    Im a season ticketholder. Ive lived through the good and the bad. However it takes time when you go down this road. Ask, Philly, OKC, SAC, Charlotte.

2. You are having an agenda, are you his agent?

First and foremost, I care about all HOUSTON athletes. Im a fan of Houston. Secondly, he's a young man who has made several mistakes and I think he should be punished but I think he deserves another chance because of his circumstances. He is 23yrs old, violent pass but it takes time to mature.

3. I do agree that there are basketball souls that are worth saving, but I will save spots for other people, these are limited spots.

I agree, these are limited spots. KPJ is talented but troubled, so is Myles Bridges and many others. In the end, they are just kids not fully mature. Ive been down that road, so I guess thats why Im more sympathetic....Some it takes until you are late 20's, early 30's.

4. You take things way too seriously, but mainly the things that were not really important.

Not necessarily, like I said before Ive been down that road of being wild at 22, 23, 24 and I understand what they are going through, coming from nothing into something at a young age. But when you have your first child or get married, things change...it becomes serious.

Also you mistake NBA teams for orphanages or Mental institutions, rehab centers or Shrinks.

Lol. Naw, life has a way of making you see things in a different light. I like the saying, "You don't know what someone else has been through, unless you have walked in their shoes."

They are none of those. It is a cruel business most fair weather fans revel in.

You are paid tons of millions to play a silly game of ball into a hoop. And the clock is ticking on their success.[/QUOTE]

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It does not matter because his life journey is his life journey.

It should not have been with the Rockets. Period.

I think it is commendable to wanting to root for guys but your way is better spend on children who are not violent.

There are tons of teenagers coming from a poor neighborhood and have skills to make it. Why not try them.

You are basically cuffing yourself to one tree, there are tons of trees out there, tons of fishes in the Ocean.

You can go on and keep following Kevin Porter Junior! I will not stand in your way.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Basically it is simple, the NBA has an unofficial 3rd Year saying. Except for big men.

If the player is not ready by his third year or has problems, chances he does not fulfill his potential are big.

22-23 years is that threshold.

I think punishment on DV should be enforced, yes, Miles Bridges should have been banned too.

I hope SIlver sees it and peg them as Persona non grata from now onwards.

18. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

"Women ages 18 to 24 and 25 to 34 generally experience the highest rates of intimate partner violence."
    Those of you who keep saying this is a maturity problem basically think we need to wait til KPJ is 34 which is another 11 years lol Yeah dont worry about KPJ he'll mature in 11 years and stop beating women smh
    https://penntoday.upenn.edu/news/da...nt-and-account-more-domestic-violence-spouses

Yung-T and Easy like this.
  19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

All lifes matter. We cant say this person's life doesnt matter but he determines what he does with it. Its up to him to change it. All Im saying is 23yrs old is too young to say what a person is or is not

When KPJ first came to the Rockets everyone was on his riding the high, Clutch included. We all knew he was a reclaimation project.

I think it is commendable to wanting to root for guys but your way is better spend on children who are not violent.

The violent kids, the drug kids, the abused kids are who need our help the most.

There are tons of teenagers coming from a poor neighborhood and have skills to make it. Why not try them.

Good question, but as I see it everyones issues are different. Everyones needs are different. In KPJ's case his is mental, he needs help with how to deal with emotional situations. And ironically, I thought bring on Dillion Brooks, FVV and others would help him.

You are basically cuffing yourself to one tree, there are tons of trees out there, tons of fishes in the Ocean.

Dude, I use to feed the homeless, until they passed the law that you need a license. I use to give money to those on street corners, still do.
    I try not to judge.

You can go on and keep following Kevin Porter Junior! I will not stand in your way.

Like I said earlier, its about wishing the best for someone, not condemning them, throwing them away. If he spends the rest of his career overseas, so be it but I just hope he can turn his life around.

20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

All lifes matter. We cant say this person's life doesnt matter but he determines what he does with it. Its up to him to change it. All Im saying is 23yrs old is too young to say what a person is or is not

When KPJ first came to the Rockets everyone was on his riding the high, Clutch included. We all knew he was a reclaimation project.

The violent kids, the drug kids, the abused kids are who need our help the most.

Good question, but as I see it everyones issues are different. Everyones needs are different. In KPJ's case his is mental, he needs help with how to deal with emotional situations. And ironically, I thought bring on Dillion Brooks, FVV and others would help him.

Dude, I use to feed the homeless, until they passed the law that you need a license. I use to give money to those on street corners, still do.
    I try not to judge.

Like I said earlier, its about wishing the best for someone, not condemning them, throwing them away. If he spends the rest of his career overseas, so be it but I just hope he can turn his life around.