1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Ollie anyone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by skoo9382, Apr 21, 2016.

1. skoo9382

skoo9382 Member

Personally i thought Thibs would have the best scheme and would gain the most respect from the players, mainly Harden. But not at the cost of him becoming the president and head coach, and an even crazier 10 million a year financial commitment.

Scott Brooks would be an decent fit, and Harden likes the guy, but the Harden back then and the Harden now are two totally different players. Brooks would just be another "players" coach and it would continue the "inmates-running-the-asylum" type of atmosphere we've been accustom to with Mchale and JBB. And yes he does give a leg-up on the KD race, but ultimately i don't think it'll be the tipping point.

JVG. Love the guy, but i think his respect as a coach in this league has been diminished over the last decade of him not being on the bench. i think the players would not respond well to his tactics/coaching. I think there would be tor-moire between him and harden, and come contract time for harden, you know it'll play a factor in his decision.

Not too long ago when the Thunder were looking for a coach to replace above mentioned Brooks, Kevin Ollie's name was thrown around a lot. From what i've heard in the past, he'a coach that is well respected amongst the players, namely KD, and he has been coaching UConn with good results. I know Les likes the big splash names in coaching as well as his players, but i think Daryl Morey would not be doing his job if he didn't even look into Ollie as a coach. Morey's job is secure for now, but we've seen Les make decisions in a heart-beat.

Thoughts?

2. Aydge

Aydge Member

I heard that KD was lobbying for him and that players around the league respect him. What makes him a good coach?

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

He builds strong relationships with his players. They come first with him. He's a great college coach, but I wonder how his coaching would translate. He played in the NBA so he has that experience to draw from.

4. TISNF

TISNF Member

X's and O's. Need a guy with at least some reputation for running a system, not just "he's a player's coach."

The **** does that even mean?

I like Ollie, but what kind of system does he run? Who's the next Brad Stevens?

5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

as long as his initials aren't JBB... I'm onboard! lol!