1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin McHale will return as Rockets coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, May 3, 2014.

?

Do you agree with the Rockets decision to bring back Kevin McHale for 2014-15?

1. YES

99 vote(s)
    13.2%
  2. NO

651 vote(s)
    86.8%
  1. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

McHale =
    kubiak = years on mediocrity until it blows up which is when Howard's contract is up

2. Hmm

Hmm Member

Quite...

3. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

This is worse than the Royce White disaster.

4. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

People love to talk about how Le$ and Maury invest so much in buying draft picks, analytics, and trying to improve the team, but what's the point if you got an incompetent coach like McFail coaching your team?

Also, regarding the players, of course some of them are going to like McFail. I would too if I had a coach that refused to hold anyone accountable and allowed players to basically do whatever they wanted on the court.

And here it is right here..."He kind of let us run whatever we wanted." Nothing has changed regarding McFail's "coaching"

#524 Kwame, May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

So... don't waste money on next year's playoff tix?

6. adobo

adobo Member

As much disappointed I was with the game 6 exit of the Rockets, and the anger i felt towards McHale's less than stellar in-game adjustments in the whole series....I feel McHale deserves a second chance to redeem himself from that heart wrenching 0.9 buzzer beater from Lillard. He would be more heart broken than any players out there in losing game 6 the way we lost it.

Picking up his option is not such a bad thing, he can easily be replaced next year if things go south and we don't see improvements/adjustments in his end.

Not only will the players grow from what happened in the blazers series, but I feel the coaching staff has realized that certain mentality and direction needs to be adjusted to go that next level for this current roster.

7. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

if you have been here the last 4 years you will know that there will be no adjustments... same old stuff over and over again...

1. start season off slow
    2. gain a lot wins middle season
    3. late season collapse
    4. Below average in game decisions
    5. Below average player time management
    something new last 2 years:
    6. first round play off exits

4 years 2 different set of players same result

8. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Remii

Remii Member

McHale is coming back.... No championship next year. They may get out of the 1st round tho... Depending on who they bring as an assistant.

10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Oh boy. Where do I start? First of all, I hope McHale's feelings are never taken into consideration when deciding whether or not to give him another year to coach this team. Who gives a crap if he's heartbroken? How the hell do you think the players feel? What about the fans who've suffered through 17 years of playoff futility?

McHale can easily be replaced next year if things go south? You're right. He can. But that'll mean we wasted an additional year on him with nothing to show for it. Remember, Dwight is going to turn 29 later this year. He's reaching the tail end of his prime. And he can opt out of his deal in 2 more seasons. He showed no hesitation in bailing on the Lakers who are a storied franchise with 16 championship banners in the rafters(the last of which they won a mere 3 years before he got there). You think he'd have any regrets leaving a Rockets organization that last won a title 2 decades ago and has only one playoff series victory since 1997?

What makes you think the players will grow from the Blazers series? Is James Harden suddenly gonna prioritize defense when he hasn't done so for 5 years in the NBA? Is Parsons gonna set his ego aside and return to playing defense like he did his rookie season? Is Jeremy Lin suddenly gonna learn how to execute late in games? Is the team as a whole gonna fix the mistakes like ISO ball, careless turnovers, and lazy defensive effort that plagued them throughout the 2013-14 season and never got corrected(and cost them dearly in the Portland series)?

And why would the coaching staff make any changes? McHale just got rewarded for failure. Who's to say he hasn't bought into the same naive mindset as Morey and Les which is that the Rockets are merely a young team that needs more time? Never mind that coaches are actually supposed to teach young players how to play so that they become better professionals and don't keep making the same boneheaded mistakes. Is McHale even capable of this?

11. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

I wonder if this front office would maybe change its mind with McHale if the Blazers were to get obliterated by the Spurs.....

I admit... This is the only reason I'm hoping the Spurs destroy the Blazers.... I otherwise wouldn't care who wins this series.

12. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Watching how the Spurs are able to move the ball, play defense, limit players minutes and hold players accountable even out of a single mistake, tells me we don't have the right coach. Not even close.

Almost everybody can understand that except Morey and Les. I suspect Morey is trying to prove his analytics approach to bb can win big. If that is the case, he is hitching his wagon to the wrong horse. Houston can do better than McHale.

13. Hmm

Hmm Member

Les loves big name coaches....

Morey arrogantly dismisses anything outside of analytics, and clearly, his Celtic connections...

Put them together... and you can see how McHale is returning this season...

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

:( :(

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

Dwight has a question mark over his superstar status coming into this season. He's proven he still belongs in those talks. How much credit can we give McHale?

16. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

To those saying giving him another year is no big deal, please let me remind you its not just another year. If we bring in a new coach after next year that would mean the players need time to adjust to new coach, new system which could take a year or more. DH doesn't have 2-3 years to waste on this crazy experiment.

We need a good defensive coach and we need him now. The fans have spoken and the front office needs to listen!!!

17. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

0. DH was injured and wasn't happy with his stay in L.A. I'm not sure where you can find the credit to give to McHale?

18. JJHardLin

JJHardLin Member

get ready to lose in the 1st round again. what a sorry coach

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You haters don't realize that Kevin McHale is basically Rudy T.

20. Hmm

Hmm Member

Minus Hakeem Olajuwon(the dream, heart of a champion), Mario Elie (heart of a champion), Sam Cassell(heart of a champion), Robert Horry (mister big shot) and so on...

Great stuff, as usual, Carl... but, I think I'll still pass on the veal...