1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin McHale signs an extension

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Dec 24, 2014.

?

Do you like the move to extend Kevin McHale's contract for three years?

1. YES

102 vote(s)
    42.0%
  2. NO

141 vote(s)
    58.0%
  1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You may have a point. We'll see.

The stake is much higher now. A year ago, a lot of people were saying that McHale was a transitional figure. When we were ready to content, we'd get an elite coach. Now it looks like we are getting there and we are keeping him.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

it's not like there's a cap hit for sacking a coach

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

As a developmental coach, he has been nothing short of exceptional.
    Parsons, Jones, Dmo, papa, Canaan, etc.

1 person likes this.
  4. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

What makes no sense is going into the playoffs with the media asking why your coach hasn't been extended. We don't need that distraction.

This extension doesn't change the fact that he can be fired at any point.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The PF coach is dead. Long live the PF coach

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not sure how anyone can argue with that. The guy really knows when players are ready to contribute or not. If a young player isn't playing there is usually a really good reason for that. Great patience by the front office can only be successful if you have a coach who can communicate the process along the way.

1 person likes this.
  7. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Surprising move.

No complaints.

8. rustyrob

rustyrob Member

I wanted George Karl :(

1 person likes this.
  9. Raven

Raven Member

Let's be clear on one point. This would not have happened if Les and Morey did not think McHale was an asset in recruiting free agents. If players think highly of McHale, it makes absolute sense to retain him, especially if he has a solid assistant coaching staff who excel in X's and O's. It also sends a message to future coaches that the Rockets take care of their guy if the team is doing well.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I have decidedly mixed feelings, particularly with the timing. I would have preferred waiting for the end of the playoffs to extend McHale, and for good reason. I wasn't crazy about how last year ended. Hell, no one was, of course, and I felt that how he handled the team against Portland left a lot to be desired. Still, our record this season, a season filled with adversity caused by a rash of injuries, is simply outstanding. So it isn't hard to counter complaints about extending McHale with "scoreboard." I'd just rather that scoreboard include how we perform in the post-season. So I'm not going to vote. If the poll is still open after the playoffs (unlikely), I'll be happy to add my opinion there.

#250 Deckard, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Solomon: Rockets believe they already have championship coach

12. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

The top eight teams in the West all look about equal to me. Four teams will lose in the first round. Will it be the four teams with the worst coaches?

13. valorita

valorita Member

Mchale is a good leader. Thats his primary role on the team. We have assistants that are good with x's and o's. Also, there aren't many people who understand basketball better than kevin.

1 person likes this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We're going to find out. We'll find out just how good those 8 teams are, and just how good their coaches are. Talent with an "average to good, but not great" coach can go a long way. And a Hall of Fame caliber coach with talent can lose to a team that, on paper, simply isn't as good. So much can play a part. Injuries, of course. One or two players on the opposing team can go on a tear and carry a team past what should be a better team. I've been saying this a lot lately, so I apologize in advance, but we'll just have to wait and see.

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I would love to see the objective criteria for him 'doing a good job' in the playoffs. I'm loving this move - can't wait to sit back and watch the hilarious reactions of the simpleton "coach is responsible for every loss" crowd.

16. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

Just heard his interview on 790. He speaks fondly of his players. I can see why players love playing for him. I think he's a great coach.

17. baubo

baubo Member

If you don't ignore assistant coach credentials, an opinion I personally don't believe in, then you should also not ignore player credentials.

I guarantee you players put more stock in a HOFer who won multiple titles and voted as top-50 player of all time than a former assistant who was holding a clipboard when he had success.

1 person likes this.
  18. acjeitherocket

premature as hell....smfh

19. cebu

cebu Member

happy to know that les is happy with kevin.

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

and i would love to see him do a MUCH MUCH BETTER JOB than the crap he showered this team with last playoffs. can't wait to sit back and watch you explain how that was in any way good. also, you have been insulting people here in way too many threads/posts with 'simpleton'. need to find a new & fresh term to convey your anger at one who criticizes mchale's coaching. would be perfect timing for your new rollout to coincide with the upcoming 2015 new year too..

2 people like this.