1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin McHale signs an extension

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Dec 24, 2014.

?

Do you like the move to extend Kevin McHale's contract for three years?

1. YES

102 vote(s)
    42.0%
  2. NO

141 vote(s)
    58.0%
  1. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

When is the day when Clutchfans loses you? That will be a glorious day.

2. adw

adw SuperClutchMan

Would have been deserved after the playoffs.

I'm not sure how I feel right now, but joy doesn't spring to mind.

3. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Shouldnt you have left this forum in the offseason? Shouldnt you be trashing everything Houston related on the other sites while worshiping your God who we traded in the offseason.

4. torocan

torocan Member

Mike Budenholzer - 4 rings as Lead Assistant to Popovich, Miami to 7 games, 22-7 record this year, top 10 offense and defense
    Dave Joerger - OKC to 7 games, 50-32 last year, 21-4 this year
    Dwayne Casey - 1 ring as Lead Assistant to Carlisle, Brooklyn to 7 games, leading Eastern Conference, top 10 offense and defense
    Stan Van Gundy - Lost ECF in Miami in 2004, ECF in 2008 in Orlando, lost in ECF in 2009
    Randy Wittman - Lost in 2nd round in 2013
    Terry Stots - 1 ring as Offensive coach under Carlisle in Dallas, lost in 2nd round in 2013 in Portland, took team to 54 wins in year that analysts put Portland as a 30-35 win team

The only guys you could say have a worse resume than McHale are Kerr and Stevens, and my personal view is that they are both superior coaches in terms of X's and O's at a minimum.

Brad Stevens is a superior coach in terms of X's and O's and calling time out plays. His NBA record is currently terrible however he has been working primarily with rebuilding roster with minimal talent. His college record was impeccable -- enough to become the youngest coach in NCAA history to reach 30 wins and win Horizon coach of the year twice. At the point of his hiring by the Celtics he was considered in many circles to be a coaching prodigy.

Kerr has shown influences from his time playing under Pops and Phil Jackson in his turning GSW from a mediocre offensive team (12th in offensive efficiency in 2013) to one of the best offensive teams in the NBA (6th in offensive efficiency this year).

One shouldn't ignore assistant coach credentials, especially when those are earned on Championship level teams under Elite coaches.

1 person likes this.
  5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

As a fan I have mixed feelings, but as a person that does admire Mchale the player, and Mchale the person, I am very happy for him. Hope he has much success with the rockets.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

The official press release:

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Do you like the move to extend Kevin McHale's contract for three years?

adding a poll...

8. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

This really ruins the news of Josh Smith officially signing with the Rockets. As one of the worst coaches in the NBA, you can always count on McFail to let this team down. Thanks Maury. Thanks Le$.

#228 Kwame, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    2 people like this.
  9. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Signing Josh Smith and extending Kevin McHale as the head coach. Not sure how to feel. I just hope we become far away the best defensive team after this. Hopefully Smith buys into the system we have in place. We're still probably the worst playoff team offensively that's over .600 :/

10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He's been better this season, but I really wish they had waited until the playoffs to evaluate McHale's performance. The playoffs are where coaches earn their money, talent gets you to the playoffs, coaching wins championships.

I do understand the potential issues that arise from waiting until after the playoffs to decide though, McHale will probably be a better coach with better job security.

11. archinkent

archinkent Member

Last season I would have been mad, but this season he's doing alright.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Not sure I understand this, would have waited until playoff success to extend him.

Benefits of this is he's signed here and can feel good and comfy and not like a lame duck coach I guess.

13. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I commend the Rockets on showing some loyalty.

For once, they didn't say "let's wait and see how it plays out."

Give him the extension, let him know you believe in him. I like it a lot.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am not necessarily against extending him. But the timing is weird.

15. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Oh, yes, you can certainly ignore AC credentials- you have no idea what type of input those coaches have- whereas it is universally known that the HC gets all the blame and all the credit regardless. And you're using a 1/3 season comparison of Kerr? Sorry, but much of this sounds like you picking random crap to justify the hate. And you're using college criteria? Great- I think Tyler Hansbrough is much better than Klay Thompson, right?

McHale has a sample size of, what, 4 years? If you're talking full seaons, I think it's 3, but it could be 4. Two years in the playoffs, two first-round exits. Certainly not great. But an extremely small sample size. If they used that criteria on Doc Rivers... or Joe Torre- they would have never become championship coaches/managers.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

if he doesn't do a good job this coming playoffs, he can always be fired and les will just eat the salary.

as far as the timing, one silver lining is that perhaps he won't run our starters into the ground as much now. sometimes got the feeling he was overlooking the big picture of the team and this season because he needs to secure employment past this spring

1 person likes this.
  17. dandorotik

Well, I refuse to argue with those who present nothing but skewed statistics and "well, I just feel this way" arguments. If we go far in the playoffs, I expect those of you- especially the idiots who still use McFail and Milk Hair-****ing grow up, already- to eat crow- and a ****load of it- as I will do if we exit the 1st again.

1 person likes this.
  18. NickKent

NickKent Member

Are you kidding me? Couldn't at least wait until after the playoffs?

19. dandorotik

Not true- he's done a terrific job this year with a squad that had no business beating 1/2 the teams it did. Go cry in your Corn Flakes. Smart move by the Rockets.

20. haydenfisher342

Ill answer the poll come June