1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin McHale on open court NBATV right now.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Freik, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Boring personalities and some mediocre coaches.

I would have liked this done with Phil Jackson, Chuck Daly (RIP), Greg Popovich, Red Aurebach, Pat Riley, and Don Nelson.

2. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Lol. David asking for tips in regards of the in bound play, and all the other coaches looks at each other and avoid the answer.

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

True. Now are you implying you know more about basketball than David Blatt? A man who dedicated his life to the game? Not just his free time.

4. hakeemthagreat

Good panel. Coaching is a lot more than x's & o's. I respect the fact they were honest in saying they still get nervous

5. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Kevin Mchale has Dwight Howard but he couldn't dominate Green when the warriors put him at center.

So his old school coaching methods didn't work.
    A smart coach knows to match up.

As long as Mchale is the coach and Howard is our center.....we will never beat the Warriors in a series.

Why?
    Mchale doesn't have the balls to bench Dwight Howard and play a smaller skilled big man to match up against Green.

A big man that can guard the perimeter.
    Like Harrell, Dekker, Hayes, Dmo, or Jones.

1 person likes this.
  6. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Couldn't have said it any better.

7. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

McHale said it sucks when you're best passer is some 5'9 guy. Lol. Well you just got your wish. :)

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

So why would you disagree?:p

9. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I agree, until we find someone to kill Draymond Green in the post, the Warriors small ball is going to eat us alive.

10. bongman

bongman Member

I disagree. coaches will know more about basketball more than anybody who has now coached a single professional game. What is stupid is some people who think they know more than people who do it for a living.

11. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

DMO would have DESTROYED green in the post

shame he was hurt

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

What I got from the little I saw reinforced my opinion that McHale doesn't know jack **** about X's and O's

Taking advise from Latrell Spewell during a time out? LOL gimme a break

I was also expecting McHale to show love to Harden as the smartest player he has coached esp on the offensive end. There was mention of Lebron, Curry, Chris Paul even Andre Igoudala and Andre freakin Miller. Come on McHale stand up for your guys.

1 person likes this.
  13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

McHale's a good guy and it came across in that show but as FTW Rockets FTW just posted, he seems a bit out of his depth, and it underscores some problems we have on the team: the thinking that the big guy always beats the small guy.

With such thinking, Portland drafted Greg Oden over Kevin Durant.

As a former dominant big guy, I understand how he's a little stuck in the past, but he just watched Golden State undress the league and still comments, "I would have loved to have Draymond Green on me, he couldn't have guarded me" (or words to that effect).

And someone else piped up, "But Draymond would argue you wouldn't have been able to keep up with him."

There's some truth to both sides. Golden State wins because while your big guys are lumbering back to get into position, you have smaller, skilled defenders swarming them. Sometimes it doesn't work. When it does, those defenders become fast-breaking sharpshooters that your bigs can't cover.

Ironically, as currently constituted, the Rockets look set to counter Golden State, what with an overload at 2 and 3 that would have to play some 4. But when we have to go against all those dominant 4's in the West? Less so.

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Honestly, McHale sounded like a blabbering idiot in that video.

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

LOL yeah. I was kind of embarrassed. He kept going on and on and it didn't seem like others showed much interest in his generic talk.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That he obviously knows basketball from deep experience. Doesn't mean that it translates to brilliance with X's and O's. I don't view that as mutually exclusive. ;-)-

(isla still very nice, but heard holbox is the place to go - like here in the 70's & 80's)

17. Nook

Nook Member

ZZZZZ ZZZZZZZ...... Zzzzzzzzz

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

gentry seemed far and away the coach that guys would want to play for. george karl should just retire, doesn't seem to appreciate today's game. carlisle to a certain degree as well. blatt comes off as boring and contrived. hollins seems like a real taskmaster, albeit an inspiring one. and mchale would make a great drinking buddy. keep him away from lawson.

19. thething

thething Contributing Member

This makes sense. Mchale and Hollins have great centers--Mchale has Howard and Hollins has Lopez, and used to have Gasol.

Carlisle has Zaza Pachulia and Gentry has Omer Asik. You can see why they think the way they do.

20. do work son

do work son Member

Him talking about Draymond wasn't a "big man beats little man" point, it was big skilled men are bigger than smaller skilled men. And he's right, he would've destroyed draymond green because of his skill level.