1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin McHale on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Textroets

Textroets Member

Sure is. Even with Dwight...the way we've been playing lately, I wouldn't be surprised if we still lost by 12-15 points.

2. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

McHale sounded very scary when he was talking to the Dallas game on the radio. Without Howard, this team could have a big trouble when your head coach is not mental strong.

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Well, I don't expect McHale to openly say on the air that Terry and Cisco are getting minutes ahead of Canaan due to the fact that they're 14 and 9 years older than him respectively.

4. ksny15

ksny15 Member

For as smart as Morey is he can't possibly believe McHale is the right guy to coach this team. I mean just listen to his damn interview

1 person likes this.
  5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Solid start followed with nothing but frustration.

I'm not sure I'm even going to watch the Mavs game because I'll end up just wanting to break my TV or something in my house.

We really got screwed this last off-season. It's like "yea...we need another big man" now when we had one in Asik. But, we dumped Asik to get a third star and then didn't get one. Now, we're screwed over this season.

6. count_dough-ku

I'm not wasting a minute on the Mavs massacre-in-waiting. I'll go catch Mockingjay Part 1 at the local multiplex. Shoot, I hated the third book and hated even more the idea of splitting it into 2 movies, and I'd still rather sit through that than the Mavs game.

As for Asik, they had to move him. He sat out half the season last year because he was so butthurt over the Dwight signing. Plus, it's obvious he was a goner after his contract was up, so why not get something for him in the meantime(which they did)?

1 person likes this.
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I love McHale's candor... I'm also starting to realize he really likes to put blame on anyone but him in a subtle way. It's kind of funny. This time it's saying -- we have young guys, rookies, teams that win have veterans getting those minutes.

I mean it's true... but he always has some excuse. That's just his approach I suppose. He's a CEO coach, not a hands-on guy.

8. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Morey is the CEO coach. McHale is more of a middle manager.

9. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

That is why he got the coaching job at the first place, all world knows that Rick Adelman is a better coach than McHale, but the rockets decided to have McHale for a reason.

10. count_dough-ku

Because he's a yes man? A lot of good that's doing the franchise. They still can't win a playoff series. Someone better let Les know that Houston is a football town and is notoriously bandwagon when it comes to its sports teams. Especially when they don't accomplish anything for a very long time. Just ask the Astros if you don't believe me.

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Les has been the owner of this team for 20+ years. You don't think he understands the Houston market?

12. gigantism

gigantism Member

I'm not worried about Dallas. They give up 40% shooting on 3s. We'll kill them from outside.

13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Except that we have been in a complete slump from outside -- oh, and also, there's an inside. And inside, are you putting your $$ on Dirk Nowitzki/Tyson Chandler, or Donatas Motiejunas/Tarik Black?

14. count_dough-ku

I have my doubts. In a city with traffic as bad as this one, he decides to bump up the start time of games from 7:40 to 7:10 guaranteeing even fewer people are in their seats at tipoff? Not only does that not look good on TV, but if fans aren't in the arena, it means they're not at the concession stands paying exorbitant prices for food and beverages.

I assume he's also aware fans here lose interest quickly if you don't have a winning product. The problem there is that Les doesn't seem to understand how to put together a contending team. For evidence of that, look no further than his remarks after they lost to Portland. He said they were gonna go out and get a 3rd star. Not that they were gonna improve defensively or get help at the 1 and 4 spots or deepen the bench. Nope. Just that they'd add another star.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

"Yes man" is a bit too harsh. I believe Morey doesn't actually dictate how the coach coaches. However, I also believe that Morey wants his coach to take his inputs and at least try to implement his strategies based on analytics.

I've said this before. No established coach would agree to do that. These coaches already have their coaching systems that have been proven to work. Only an inexperienced coach would agree to try out Morey's ideas. McHale was inexperienced but he was also a HOFer that commands players' respect. So he's the ideal choice in light of what Morey wanted in a coach.

16. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The Lakers has the worst D in the league and its not even close to the second to last team. Every 3 we took the last game basically was wide opened.

So?

17. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

just going to leave this here. i can see why he is a player coach. <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bi1jVoSpUpk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

19. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Did you catch the "some guys shoot 3s who shouldn't be?" How ironic.