1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin McHale on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

If he wants to be a big fish in a small pond and never expose himself to the absolute, no doubt about it, on another level best of the best competition then so be it. If he aspires to be a local "hero" then it's probably for the best he doesn't come over here and play with the big boys.

uhhhh none of the best euro, or world talent stays - they come over to the NBA. This is a case of confidence and being comfortable where you are at - not some pie in the sky story of players wanting to be in the euro league. The only reason I can think of a player staying would be to not lose their amateur status but I dont think (could be wrong) that applies anymore.

#261 Joshfast, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  2. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Maybe that was Llull's response after Morey hinted that the Rockets wanted to give some of the MLE to KJ.

3. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Thanks for the info appreciate it

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

multi millionaire basketball players in a city with a high number of hot spanish girls looking for cash.

5. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

Euro basketball players can be compared to American soccer players when it comes to this sort of deal. American soccer players know that the ultimate test is to go over to the European premiere leagues to try there hand at the highest level of the sport. Most American soccer players who have the chance at least go over there for a few years to give it a crack. Winning the mls is a nice prize but winning the english premiere league or champions league is the ultimate prize. It is up to Sergio Lull to decide if he wants to test himself against the worlds elite or stay in his comfort zone and continue the nice thing he has going with Real Madrid. My hope his that the competitive nature of a world class athlete will drive Sergio to come over to the Rockets and give the NBA a crack for a few seasons. If it does not work out he can go back to Spain and pick up where he left.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I wouldnt say that tho it is a possibility.

McHale made two statements that lead me to believe they will try to bring him back:

This is fairly straight forward. Retaining their FA's is priority #1.

They are up against the cap and if Bev walks they have only one exception to exceed the cap to replace him which limits any other roster moves they can make. Letting him walk , they simply lose that space over the cap for nothing.
    If they retain him , they still have the MLE to use elsewhere .... there is value in retaining PatBev and the space over the cap his contract would represent which they can not get in any other way. As long as the deal isn't stupid , you match it even if you plan on using him as a trade piece after the 90 days are up.

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Houston has changed a lot in recent years .... that negative image of the inner city was justified until very recently when developers found they could make big money buying up cheap property and build multiple high dollar homes on a single lot. What you could buy for ~$20k 5 years ago is now $300k property.

8. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Is this related to the high property tax in recent years?

9. GMNot

GMNot Member

I don't know about Llull. Doesn't even sound lukewarm. You'd hate to press him and then end up with another Spanoulis situation.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

It may have some impact on property taxes as having high value homes drives up the value of adjacent properties thus allowing the tax man to increase his bottom line.

I dont live in the city & don't pay city taxes so I'm not familiar with the rates but most property taxes go towards our education system .... and you know how expensive that daycare center is.

11. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

What? Augustin is a big time upgrade over Prigioni. He's faster and can shot the ball better. Now defensive they are about the same.