1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin McHale on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Augustine is not the answer...

2. p10maggs

p10maggs Member

I'm really enjoying this open discussion about our roster and off season. Probably only a handful if that of coaches in the league that would even comment on GM-coach discussions.

Although I'm not sure if mchale is just oblivious or likes be open and honest as it can't harm anyone.. it's business

3. malakas

malakas Member

I have acually been in Madrid and didnt like it. Never in Houston though. So I will take ur word for it.

4. Charles Jones

Charles Jones Member

much better jumper than Wall....just as fast though..Wall much better defender though

5. Charles Jones

Charles Jones Member

lol you my friend are smoking that good stuff

6. malakas

malakas Member

Not good comparison. Wall is ton better passer playmaker and defender. They are nothing alike as guards.
    My main concern wuth Llull is his defence in the Nba.

7. Charles Jones

Charles Jones Member

I would compare him to a taller/better Aaron Brooks type. I watched some Euro league basketball and was surprised how well of a shooter and passer he is. His defense is alright he HUSTLES HARD though high effort and energy. Aggressive and can create. Would be ideal to get him starting here next year if not him Kyle Lowry would be great also.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

McHale seems to have been liking Llull at least publicly since the beginning of the season. Brought up his name in the 1st Rockets Round Table interview too.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Kevin McHale referred to a player from year's past who didn't play but says in the exit interview that he thinks he is the best player on the team.

I wonder who that might be.

[​IMG]

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Pretty obvious ...

[​IMG]

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Not entirely accurate. The Rockets can make McDaniels a qualifying offer of about $1.05 million (which is the one-year vet minimum + $200k). If McDaniels wishes to take another offer for even one dollar more, then EVERY DOLLAR of McDaniels's new deal would need to come out of either the MLE or (less likely) cap room. Houston cannot aggregate the MLE and the QO to get extra room. It's one or the other.

That said, if Llull was ready/willing to come over, I don't think the Rockets would let McDaniels keep them from signing him. Llull is a higher priority signing IMO, and I think the Rockets would just let McDaniels walk if it led directly to them signing Llull.

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I think they are very similar. Barcelona on the other hand is my favorite city that I have ever traveled to.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

And they will deserve to be criticized hard for trading for McDaniels and giving up assets if ultimately he never played a meaningful minute for them.

14. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I don't think McHale was limiting his past history to the Rockets. He's more likely referring to his time as GM of the Timberwolves. If I had to guess, I'd say the most likely candidate to fit McHale's description would be Ricky Davis.

15. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

Living in Madrid and visiting are two very different things. I visited both Madrid and Barcelona several times, and agree with you that Barcelona is one of my favorite cities in the world. Having lived in Madrid for 6 months in 2013, it quickly became one of my favorite cities to live in. The city, food, culture, people are all incredible. I would go back if given the option - you cannot compare Houston with Madrid... you just can't.

16. malakas

malakas Member

Thank so much for explaining Bima. You are the Larry Coon of the forum. Without u we would all be lost in the dark.

My opinion is that unless kj wants to sign for the Rockets there will be more than one team to offer him more than 1.5 mil . He is hyped and young and with high probabillity to be able to get him away from his team. Which makes this trade even more perplexing. Both from the Rockets and the 76ers side.

17. malakas

malakas Member

Barcelona is the second most beautiful city in Europe I have been to. I dont think there is any comparison between it and Madrid. Madrid wouldnt even be in the top 20.
    But its not like Houston is a garbage place. Millions are millions and players retire young and after they can have money to live everywhere they desire. And in the Nba u can make tens of millions more. And soon all the reluctant to come over Europeans will suddendly get less homesick. Just wait for the mle to baloon up.

18. Nook

Nook Member

It comes down to what you want and what you are used to.

Sergio is from Spain so it is very likely that he would prefer Madrid to Houston.

However there are many drawbacks to Madrid. I have split my time between Europe and the United States off and on the last 5-7 years and there are many, many conveniences in the United States that do not exist in Europe. Also, the people in Texas are far nicer in Texas than in Spain.

I will admit that the laid back culture in Spain can be very nice though.

19. BimaThug

Supporting Member

The trade for McDaniels was not so much about locking up McDaniels long-term as much as it was about retaining OPTIONS for this summer.

What if (a) the Rockets need to trade Ariza for a third star and/or (b) Brewer walks in free agency and/or (c) Sergio Llull decides not to come over and/or (d) another quality free agent is unwilling to take the Rockets' MLE?

Having the restricted free agent rights (and right of first refusal) to a high-upside wing defender (who might have been a late lottery pick if last year's draft were redone today) gives the Rockets OPTIONS they otherwise wouldn't have. They could not have traded for McDaniels now. It had to be done back in February.

While I personally was a fan of Isaiah Canaan and thought he and a high second rounder were a bit much to trade for just this option, I at least get why the Rockets did this. McHale apparently didn't trust Canaan enough to play him, and McDaniels even as only an option this summer is probably better than that pick (especially with the Rockets still holding that NYK second rounder).

Ideally, McDaniels will take the $1.05 qualifying offer, but I'm not holding my breath on that. More likely, some team signs him to an offer sheet in the $3 million per year range; and the Rockets will then have to weigh their options in deciding whether to match it. But they'll at least have that OPTION, which is the key reason for the McDaniels trade in the first place.

20. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Have you lived in Houston? Like inside the loop in the heart of the city? Growing up in the Suburbs, I had a very negative image of the inner city but in the past four years of living here, I have an immense appreciation for the vast variety of cultures, the art and the food of Houston. It's getting a lot of national media attention lately, but Houston is still severely underrated.