1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin McHale: I'd like to get a rotation of 9, maybe 10 guys

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 14, 2013.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

I think Brewer will be the 10th guy. Best wing defender and Rockets will need deeper rotation because they run so much. And Brooks, Jones and Camby/Smith will see mins when the injuries inevitably happen.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Average possession is unreliable when gauging a teams rotation needs and do not tell whole story. Rockets (and GSW, Clippers, Knicks, etc.) run more than most teams, averages are skewed higher due to teams with similar up tempo offenses.

And even if Rockets only rotate 9, that's still higher than league average of 7-8.

3. zzpot

zzpot Member

I agree that D-Mo should start... but if TJ starts stepping on guys like they are sleeping in his doorway then we have to make a change maybe... it all depends on what works best for wins. It's the same thing about Asik and D12 playing at the same time.

By the way.. what ever happened in court with TJ stopping on that bum in Portland?? Anyone know the outcome of that?:confused::confused:

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

not guilty

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

We need the following skills from our power forward

3's (Spacing)
    Defense
    Rebounding
    Scoring

I'm actually curious where people rate these skills, because the only thing Dmo has on Jones is scoring, and yet it seems watching them that this is the least necessary skill.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dmo has been set up by Aaron Brooks and Beverley a lot more in preseason.
    He scored against 2nd and 3rd stringers and used his height and skills famously.

I think we will see against San Antonio and Memphis how well he can do and during the season.

Last year both Dmo and Terrence have had a good stretch of games and some not so good games.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Looks like an 8 man Antoine Walker Memorial Rotation. We shoot lots of 3s because there are no 4s. Ironic considering the coach is one of the best 4s of all time.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Howard/Asik
    Asik/Casspi/DMO
    Parsons/Garcia
    Harden/Lin/Garcia
    Lin/Beverly

Here's our 10 man rotation.

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

And we drafted nothing but 4s for years.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

funny but we always traded for 1s that outplayed the previous starter..... therefore the endless cycle

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I only get 9 when I count that, am I missing something?

DD

12. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

No-Dmo won't be in our rotation

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Brooks will get some action depending on matchups. Smith will get spot minutes if we need a big body to foul people.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Possible 9 man rotation:

1 Lin, Beverley
    2 Harden, Garcia
    3 Parsons, Brewer
    4 Casspi, Howard
    5 Howard, Asik

15. Carl Herrera

Tonight, in the 2nd half of a b2b game, the Rockets basically played a 7 man rotation. Terrence Jones was technically the 8th, but he only got in for 6 minutes.

Seems that the team really only has 9 guys that the coaches can trust now-- Harden, Howard, Asik, Parsons, Beverley, Lin, Garcia, Casspi and Brooks. Even veteran Ronnie Brewer couldn't get into the game tonight-- solid defender but his lack of shooting really makes one nervous when the team's offense is already misfiring.

Maybe it's just bad luck that we are missing 2 guys. Maybe Jones and DMo will prove to be better than the coaches seem to think. Maybe it's too much to expect a team to have actually trust-worthy guys beyond the top 9 or 10.

But I do wonder if using 4 roster spots to store prospects instead of useful players is a mistake.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

You can't get rid of Jones or DMo because their high salaries make them necessary for any future trades in terms of salary matching. Other than that, Brewer, Brooks, and Greg Smith seems to be as good a players as you can get with veteran minimums. The Rockets have a set rotation so they're not going to sign players like Xavier Henry who's looking for PT and a big contract.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Folks said Jones was somebody who played out of control most of the time.
    But the truth what I have seen from Summer League, Preseason and the last two games is the opposite.

He is trying hard to play within the confinement of his abilities. I think that is very commendable for a 21 year old.

18. Carl Herrera

See my signature below.

I don't doubt that any of the young guys as far as giving an honest effort goes, they just aren't ready to NBA.

19. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

Don't forget DMo has about 3" on him as well. Would have defended Favors or Kanter better when they were both on the court just because he has a bigger body. I thought TJones made a nice play getting into the lane for that one basket.

20. RikSmits

RikSmits Member

Yeah, because size is all that matters.

Signed,
    Gheorge Muresan.