1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin McHale: I'd like to get a rotation of 9, maybe 10 guys

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 14, 2013.

1. alethios

alethios Member

I was speaking in terms of running the floor, but yes, he has good court vision (most 7+ footers do) and passed well down court.

2. denali_wjl

denali_wjl Member

They haven't tried this out in preseason yet regarding Asik. Hope he come back to play soon.

If this work out and Asik gets to start I think he will stay with Rockets.

But in honor to Howard, the PR would probably call Asik PF or kinda gloss over it.. :grin:

3. BBAAB

BBAAB Rookie

Garcia was never terrible. Stuck on the Sacramento Kings. He got overpaid in his last contract, and moved to a reserve role.

He shot 39% from 3 straight seasons playing ~ 26min per game before Tyreke Evans became the PG for the Kings. He was 38.6% last year for the Rockets and 37.6% from 3s overall (including with the Kings).

And over 1 blk per 36min for his career, which is very high for a SG.

He'll play. He's the only veteran perimeter player we've got off the bench (I don't think Brooks will get meaningful minutes barring an injury to Lin or Beverley)

4. denali_wjl

denali_wjl Member

Garcia definitely should be in the rotation.

5. rocketblood713

Its cant wait for the game!

6. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

I would try 9/10 to keep guys locked in and to push the pace as much as possible.

7. Terry Teagle

Terry Teagle Member

Lin got 32 minutes/game last year -- I see that going to 28min/game or less with all this stuff about Beverley being the starter. And then Lin fans complaining about minutes and usage. There's NO way Lin is getting 36 minutes a game.

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

ummm... no

9. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

well, nothing works as planned as we are bound to face some injuries

thats when the mins and usage changes. we have alot of interachangeable pieces so i am pretty confident this year as long as Mchale doesnt screw things up

10. Yellow

Yellow Member

If Casspi keeps this up, I see him and Parsons getting most back-up minutes at teh 4 spot with D-Mo starting and TJ out of rotation. These are pretty much a lock:

Lin / Bev
    Harden / Garcia
    Parsons / Casspi
    D-Mo
    Howard / Asik

11. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Lin/Bev
    Harden/Garcia/Casspi
    Parsons/Casspi
    Jones/DMo
    Howard/Asik

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some points in the season where Garcia was getting limited minutes. It would be more beneficial to have him fresh and healthy once playoffs began.

12. BuffaloRockets

I love all the options that are available for the rotation, but boy do I wish we would have found a way to keep Delfino (even if it meant no Garcia). He's the bench scorer that I feel that were lacking at the moment.

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Delfino was good but he was just a high volume chucker for a bench player. Garcia and Cassippi will more than cover for him.

14. denali_wjl

denali_wjl Member

Lin/Bev
    Harden/Garcia
    Parsons/Casspi
    DMo/Casspi
    Howard/Asik

Is the line up I would suggest, if Casspi bulk up a bit and play well this season, he might get the starting PF nod.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think it's probably a 9-man rotation, with one of Jones or Dmo being the odd man out most nights.

Bev/Lin
    Harden/Lin/Garcia
    Parsons/Garcia
    Jones/Dmo/Casspi
    Howard/Asik

16. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

The rotation will change throughout the season based on matchups.

17. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

It's tough cuz it does look like it'll be a 10 man rotation with casspi Garcia and whoever isn't starting between jones and dmo along with asik and bev; and what we really need is jones or dmo to step up and separate himself from the other but my guess is they will remain inconsistent and it'll be hard to allocate their pt

18. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Lin/Bev - 48
    Harden/Lin - 48
    Parsons/Garcia/Harden - 43?
    Parsons/Dwight - 24?
    Dwight/Asik - 48

I see this as our core seven man rotation that takes up the vast majority of minutes.

There is a sort of logjam in the backup forward spots. I think there are only five to ten minutes of the SF going to Brewer; I like him but it would be hard to get him on the floor much, and I like Garcia more. Depending on matchups and improvements made, the PF minutes of around 24 would be divided between TJ, DMo, Greg Smith and Casspi. I can see 12 for Casspi at the beginning because of his shooting abilities and 12 for DMo because of his activeness and post scoring. TJ and Smith could get better in D-League and will contribute towards the end of the season.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agreed. Rockets will need a deeper rotation because they run so much. 10 is better than 9 for this team. Using the NBA average of 8 fails to consider the team's unique needs.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Houston averages 96 possessions per game, the league averages 92 per game. The difference is not that big.