1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin McHale: "Harden came in overweight" and more from TNT

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RESINator, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

Also, interesting comments about Morey. I've always wondered if Morey underestimated the importance of chemistry when building a team. Stats don't tell you everything about a player.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Actually he was asked about his feelings, then went on and on playing the victim card.

The answer to how you feel/felt is "I feel/felt like ****, nobody likes being fired and I thought I deserved more time".

That's it. Instead he waxed poetic about how bad everything was... um, coach, it's bad because of your lack of leadership!

3. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Sometimes honesty can bite you in the dairy air. And in that situation, that's what happened. The entire team didn't come into camp like they just came off a great run in the playoffs. They came in wounded and some overly cocky. We also lost two players that played with a lot of heart and fire. Those two players didn't mind getting on the floor for their team.

Dobro that's a lot for any coach to deal with at the start of the season.

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Um, if McHale is anything, he's a leader of men. Where he may fall short is in the "x's and o's" category, if anything. But that's where Finch and Bickerstaff, and Sampson before them pick up the slack. You're really going to sit there and pin this current situation on McHale? You seem smarter than that.

5. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

It's completely fair to pin it on McHale. He struggled with X & Os severely, and deferring it to a guy whose been an assistant coach with some of the worst teams in the L isn't a great strategy by Kevin. And then to a guy who has no NBA experience, too?

Kelvin's defensive schemes were horrible too. He was the scapegoat for the Portland series, but truth is we had the same problems without him. I can't remember off the top of my head, but how many times we were OUT of position guarding inbound plays. As in the player has an opening from catching the ball and going to the bucket. This is with Kelvin and without.

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Oh yeah? So what did Kevin do differently in the first 10 or so games this year that he didn't do last year when the team was 2nd in the conference? And how is he responsible for the team's performance after he was fired?

7. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

He didn't do anything different. Not from day 1, not from the time he finished. Its always been the players.

Before we made that ridiculous 3-1 comeback, lets remember where we were. Austin Rivers scoring 17 in a row and blowout after blowout. I swear this josh smith fat tails gave Mchale immunity.

He did absolutely nothing, and as a coach doing nothing with a team needing discipline ...it's a negative.

The team's performance has ALWAYS been due to the players. I can count on my hand how many times we made a strategic change from a gameplan perspective.

8. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Seems like an appropriate time to block this obvious trollololol.

9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Yep. Mchale gets way too much crap. The interesting part was how everyone interviewing Mchale wants him to lay it in on the Rockets. The question is was it Morey's call, Les's impatience or this was a perfect excuse to get another coach in and it just looked really bad during the interview. I would be very afraid to have Les as my employer. He treats you like his best friend one day and then fires you 11 games in.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Les blamed Adelman for Yao's injury. He's a class a "Brat" owner who inherited a championship caliber franchise. He's also maintained very good profit from it thanks to the loyal fans of this city.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

McHale didn't have the players ready to play. The entire coaching staff failed to get guys prepared, in shape and ready to play, no matter how you slice it.

12. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

sugar coating this core of the rockets problems, is not an easy task

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Dont "feelings" consist of, personal feelings? :confused:

I can see if he was asked something unrelated like the All Star game but still redirected it to be about himself. But he was asked his thoughts and feelings on his own firing, and all coaching firings in general.

He can't be faulted too much for coaching victim-bias over players. He doesn't have to ONLY respond saying "My fault its on me" and raising his hand "My-Bad" style.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So McHale has his head on straight and can think for himself after all

15. BackdoorHarden

Harden is an Ironman compared to this fatty making much more money than Harden is making.

[​IMG]

16. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Except that fatty is playing a sport where it's acceptable, has 3 World Series rings, was an important part of 2 of them, and has 1 World Series MVP. But yeah, other than that, strong comparison!

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He also gets paid more because he plays twice as many games.

18. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Damn, you two guys just took a huge dump on BackdoorHarden.