1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Mccarthy kicked out as Speaker of house as congress becomes paralyzed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by astros123, Oct 3, 2023.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

“Every day that goes by, it gets more dangerous. I see a lot of threats out there, but one of the biggest threats I see is in that room, because we can’t unify as a conference and put a speaker in the chair together.” - Mike McCaul, Republican chair of the Foriegn Affairs Committee.

"(Republicans urgently need to) get their act together and elect a Speaker from within their own ranks, as it is the responsibility of the majority party to do, or have traditional Republicans break with the extremists within the House Republican Conference and partner with Democrats on a bipartisan path forward. We are ready, willing, and able to do so. I know there are traditional Republicans who are good women and men who want to see government function, but they are unable to do it within the ranks of their own conference, which is dominated by the extremist wing, and that’s why we continue to extend the hand of bipartisanship to them.
    ” - Hakeen Jeffries, House minority leader

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

they been fully embraced MAGA…that’s what the party is now

MAGA runs the asylum while the few somewhat sane ones fall in line in order to keep their positions and/or fear of retaliation or violence against them

ROCKSS likes this.
  3. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Makes me almost long for the days when a climate change denying, NRA loving, anti-affordable care act, anti-LGTB, anti-immigrant, Koch-funded white nationalist was radical enough for the GOP.

Andre0087 likes this.
  4. adoo

adoo Member

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...blicans-see-it-as-solution-to-speaker-impasse

Top House Republican Wants Help From Democrats to Pick a Speaker
    • Armed Services chair asks Democrats for conditions to cut deal

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/j...cans-to-join-democrats-and-end-house-deadlock

Jeffries encourages moderate Republicans to join Democrats and end House deadlock

"There is a real path and a real opportunity to be serious, to be substantive, to be sober in meeting the needs of the American people and our allies like Israel and Ukraine across the world.
    But we just need traditional Republicans to break from their extremist wing and join us in a bipartisan coalition."

ROCKSS likes this.
  5. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Interesting that he called members of his own party in Congress extremists.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

So now they are pushing gym jordan back up. My gosh the maga republican party is broken to pieces...

ROCKSS likes this.
  7. NewRoxFan

is gym jordan DOA?

B-Bob and ROCKSS like this.
  8. NewRoxFan

Doubt this happens... it would require the republican party thinking more about the country and less about pushing the maga agenda. But I guess its always good to hope...

Amiga likes this.
  9. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I hope so, Gym J is a joke, that would reward all the extremists and then the gop would be in even more chaos and more importantly the American Public would pay for it, they would shut the government down in a heartbeat

Invisible Fan and astros123 like this.
  10. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I would love this.........MTG head would explode

11. astros123

astros123 Member

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Safe and sane republicans are missing a huge power play.

Find 10 or however many they need.

"If "preferred candidate" is not elected in the next vote, our subsequent vote will be for Jeffries"

ROCKSS, FranchiseBlade and B-Bob like this.
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I mean, only a handful of moderate Republicans would need to work with the Democrats to elect a speaker.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I brought this up that it’s not out of the realm of possibility thet Jeffries ends up speaker. I think privately Gaetz, MTG, Boebert etc would welcome it. They have no interest in governing and can get as much or more attention in thr minority.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I don't think any of the Republicans want a Democrat as Speaker. That's not really a power play, that's just intentionally tanking.

JuanValdez likes this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The first to side with Dems will be considered RINO, primary targets and fodder for Trump's unhinged tweets. These people are inept cowards.

ROCKSS likes this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

From this, it's apparent Republicans want dems to cross the aisle rather than the other way around.

Wtf would anyone "help" these gutless backstabbing morons.

Many Republicans oppose that idea. They adjourned for the weekend after nominating Jordan in a 124-81 vote behind closed doors. On a second ballot, asking members if they could support Jordan on the House floor, he won 152 votes with 55 opposed. He’ll need 217 floor votes to win the job.

With no immediate path to achieving that, Republicans adjourned the House for the weekend.

Despite all the chaos in their ranks, conservative Republicans say they have no concern that some in their party may heed the calls by Democrats to join them and elect a bipartisan speaker.

“That’s the thing that gets you beat in a primary,” said Rep. Kevin Hern, R-Okla.

“You’d get your a-- beat,” said Rep. Tim Burchett, R-Tenn.

Rep. Pat Fallon, R-Texas, said those discussions have only happened outside the GOP conference, not among Republican lawmakers.

“People can talk a big game about that. I haven’t personally heard anybody talk about that; it’s only hearsay,” he said. “But I think that’s pretty nuclear. Let’s keep this conventional.”

Rep. Suzan DelBene, D-Wash., who chairs the Democrats’ campaign arm, rejected Republican claims that Democrats are at fault for the predicament due to their votes to remove McCarthy.

“It’s really appalling that they can’t even own their mess,” she said. “They’ve been unable to govern from the beginning of this Congress and unable to work with Democrats. All they seem focused on is fighting each other.”

“When I’ve gone through battleground districts across the country, folks want to see governance work,” DelBene said. “All they’ve seen from the Republican side is chaos and dysfunction.​

ROCKSS and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Just put in Liz Cheney and hit go.

DD

19. NewRoxFan

Cheney wouldn't be any more attractive to the maga and those that identify as libertarians since to them the most important attribute is fealty to trump, not any real interest in conservatism.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

To make that work, they'd need to find real concessions Jeffries could make to justify the support. And they would need a mechanism for taking back the speakership if Jeffries broke the deal. i'd say it was generally impossible, but the maga wing is making it a possibility.