1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Martin: What is His Trade Value?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pete the Cheat, Mar 28, 2012.

?

What is Kevin Martin Worth?

1. (1 Overall) - Bonafide Superstar

4.8%
  2. (2-4) - Star Level Potential

4.3%
  3. (5-9) - Mid Lottery

23.0%
  4. (10-14) - High Lottery

24.4%
  5. (15-19) - Mid/Low First Rounder

21.5%
  6. (20-24) - Low First Rounder

7.7%
  7. (25-30) - End of First Round

4.3%
  8. High 2nd Rounder

2.9%
  9. Any 2nd Rounder

0.5%
  10. A box of rocks - we are better off without him

6.7%
  1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

low first rd.... based on the size of his contract, not alot of teams could afford to take him without taking a huge luxury tax hit... fewer options = less return....

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Well lets see, less than 4 months ago he was the centerpiece, along with Scola and Dragic for a Chris Paul deal.

I know for a fact that Philly has offered Iguodala twice, both times Houston refused. They also discussed Turner before he kind of blew up.

Jordan Hill was just moved for a high first.

His value is somewhere between a 5-10 pick or for a good player who is overpaid.

Posters in this thread have become so out of touch with reality its mind boggling.

3. VBG

VBG Member

He's about an average mid lottery pick

4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Uhhhh... no. Come on lars, you're better than that. The Rockets got a late first rounder for taking Derek Fisher's contract, not for giving up Jordan Hill.

Good luck getting a top 10 pick for Martin. I hope you're right.. but I wouldn't hold my breath -- especially now that he's just an expiring.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

He is on par value wise with Wallace (slightly lower) who just a top 3 protected pick. Same contract status and all. Thats reality. Admitidly, NJ overpaid, but that is what his value is.

6. lr22

lr22 Member

I still believe we can straight up Martin for Gortat.:p

7. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

Look at Free Agency before you post cause Omer Asik is an unrestricted free agent

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If there were a slight chance that we could get a lotto pick for Martin, it would be with Portland. I doubt it though. I agree. A pick somewhere in the late teens, early 20's. Maybe one of the Celtics picks.

9. chapinha_br

chapinha_br Member

We have a lot of over reacting b****es here

10. VBG

VBG Member

Gerald Wallace was traded for a top 3 protected lottery pick.

There is no way Kevin Martin is just worth an early 20s pick. These are the 5 - 9 players from a few random drafts.

2005 -

Ray Felton
    Martell Webster
    Charlie V
    Channing Frye
    Ike Diogu

2006 -

Shelden Williams
    Brandon Roy
    Randy Foye
    Rudy Gay
    Patrick O'Bryant

2007 -

Jeff Green
    Yi Jianlian
    Corey Brewer
    Brandon Wright
    Joakim Noah

Are you really telling me Kevin Martin is worse than the AVERAGE of those players?

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I don't see Portland jumping on a deal for Martin. They are in full rebuild mode. Seems like they are going young and building around Aldrige and Batum. They are likely to add another part of their core through this draft. With his age and with one year left on his contract, it just doesn't make sense for them. They know they're not contending next year, so what would be the point, unless it's to ship out a bad contract that we wouldn't want anyway.

No, i don't see any team in the early lottery that would have an interest in Kevin Martin.

12. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Exactly. I've been highlighting this for a long time. But all anyone wants to pay attention to is "valuable" late round picks which have small contracts. IMHO, $Ball's foundation is built on not overpaying for talent.

No risk...no reward. Especially in a league where "big's" win championships. And correspondingly get monetarily overcompensated by 29 other GM's.

Regarding Martin...

He can still put up numbers and lots of teams would love to have him. But there's a signifcant downside. Contending teams won't want to breakup their rotations and rebuilding teams are seeking youth.

The Rockets are probably content to keep his contract one more season while testing his value in 2012-13 which is the last year of his contract ($12.9M for 2012-13). If they're winning, Martin will have value. If they're still a WC 8 seed or worse, then they'll shake things up. (Or should if they haven't noticed the medocrity treadmill they're on).

Selling low is never a good idea. :)

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

1. Kobe Bryant LA Lakers $25,244,000
    2. Rashard Lewis Washington $22,152,000
    3. Tim Duncan San Antonio $21,300,000
    4. Kevin Garnett Boston $21,200,000
    5. Gilbert Arenas Orlando $19,569,308
    6. Dirk Nowitzki Dallas $19,092,873
    7. Pau Gasol LA Lakers $18,714,150
    8. Carmelo Anthony New York $18,520,000
    9. Amare Stoudemire New York $18,217,705
    10. Joe Johnson Atlanta $18,038,573
    11. Dwight Howard Orlando $17,885,400
    12. Elton Brand Philadelphia $17,059,726
    13. Deron Williams New Jersey $16,359,805
    14. Chris Paul LA Clippers $16,359,805
    15. Kevin Durant Oklahoma City $16,324,500
    16. LeBron James Miami $16,022,500
    17. Chris Bosh Miami $16,022,500
    18. Dwyane Wade Miami $15,512,000
    19. Paul Pierce Boston $15,333,334
    20. Baron Davis Cleveland / New York $15,302,181
    22. Zach Randolph Memphis $15,200,000
    21. Andrew Bynum LA Lakers $15,157,667
    23. Antawn Jamison Cleveland $15,076,715
    24. Rudy Gay Memphis $15,032,144

Q1: Which of these players is acquirable at all?

Q2: Of those that are acquirable (their teams would be willing to trade them) which of them would their teams be willing to accept Martin and Lowry in trade?

Q3: Of those players that are acquirable that their teams would accept Lowry and Martin for trade, which players would we want from that depleteed list that would benefit this team?

It's not that easy, is it? Yeah, I know there's a couple guys not on the list because their big contracts start next season, like Kevin Love. But it's a foregone conclusion Love isn't going anywhere. No need to even list him.

Looking down the list a bit further.....

27. Chris Kaman New Orleans $14,030,000
    28. Al Jefferson Utah $14,000,000
    29. Andre Iguodala Philadelphia $13,531,750
    30. Carlos Boozer Chicago $13,500,000

Utah may be interested in moving Al. Possibly. And Chicago may be interested in moving Boozer. Kaman is an expiring. Of course, he'll probably get a $10 million per year deal somewhere. Now if we could move Martin to the Cavs for cap space, we may be able to sign Kaman to a deal that makes sense.

Now tell me.....do you think Kaman or Boozer or Jefferson makes this team a contender???

This is why I'm wondering if a deal for simple cap space may be the best deal for Martin at present.

OR

Perhaps we sign DWill and then go hard after Dwight this offseason by dangling Lowry/Scola/Dally/Martin/Patterson/Morris and draft picks at Orlando.

14. Pete the Cheat

I hate to derail the thread, but when has this ever been an issue?
    prior to the deadline we had a slough of manageable expiring contracts that could have been used for all sorts of matching purposes.
    Dalembert's contract holds serious value as well considering it is $7MM with a team option. he can still be traded in time for another team to waive the option and remove $7MM of their books.

if anything this should have the opposite effect of what you are saying, making those players more valuable because of their "undervalued" contracts.

15. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Value not high enough. Better off keeping this asset for the moment...

16. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

I'd try to trade him to Rick Adelman. Give Minnesota Martin + draft picks for Derrick Williams. I really think he's going to be special. He could be our long term scoring small forward.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o2I3dHR1TxA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Because I am biased, I would get us a superstar or at least a Top 8 pick .... but realistically not really much worth now. He is someone that will get picked up if he is a free agent but not many would trade for him now.

18. houseofglass21

We should have never traded for Kevin Martin, period. Carl Landry was better and he's definitely a better PF backup to Scola than Patterson is.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Using draft picks to gauge a player's trade value in of itself is a flawed exercise. Teams with high lottery picks want players with superstar potential, even if said player has a high chance of being a bust. OTOH teams that would love to have Martin would be contenders, and these teams don't have high lottery picks.

Unless there's a natural fit, the best trade with Martin is not for a draft pick.

20. VBG

VBG Member

Really? Carl Landry better than Kevin Martin? Wow.