1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Martin might have taken a shot at former teammates Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, Nov 4, 2013.

1. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

http://thebiglead.com/2013/11/04/ke...teammates-kevin-durant-and-russell-westbrook/

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't think Martin was taking a shot at Durant or Westbrook. Obviously OKC quite safely made it into the playoffs and was an excellent team so it would be silly for him to take a shot at these two by saying that his current team "has the big picture of making the playoffs" instead of "leading the league in scoring" in mind.

3. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Man, online writers have nothing better to do but turn everyone's statement into a slight against someone/something else. Just because he says his current team is fun to play on and no one cares about who leads in scoring, doesn't mean it was the opposite on OKC. :rolleyes:

4. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

"Nobody tries to lead the league in scoring"

KLove is or was leading the league in scoring early on

6. Shaud

Shaud Member

Ehh might be looking too much into it considering Durant had a chance to lead the league in scoring and turned it down towards the end of the year last year.

He's just happy to be reunited with Adelman

7. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

I can't imagine Kevin Martin taking a shot at anyone. He's one of the classiest guys in the league.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Ah, good old passive aggressive Martin

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

"This is such a fun team to play on" != "I did not like the Thunder."

10. FearTheBeardJH

He said that after the Knicks game, he was talking about Melo.

11. Nook

Nook Member

If you say so.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Fixed. Dude was not getting great treatment with us either.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Bingo! It's clear as day this is exactly what he meant, for whatever reason. But when you add in the comments:
    (1) Nobody is trying to lead the league in scoring here.
    (2) Everybody has the big picture of getting to the playoffs.

He's definitely taking a shot at either KD or WB, maybe both. I'm surprised K-Mart would say something like this. Not classy about it at all. But he's entitled to say whatever he pleases.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Be grateful you got of the first round, Kevin.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I agree that the line "nobody is trying to lead the league in scoring here" is a pretty obvious reference to the Thunder.

But I don't think he considered all of the ways that people might construe that. I think he just legitimately enjoys playing more on an underdog style team.

16. Willard Decker

I don't doubt he's taking a shot at Durant or Westbrook with his comments about winning the scoring title, but the comments themselves seem off-base. Durant willingly conceded the scoring title to Carmelo Anthony last season so that he could rest for the post-season, and the Thunder have been a regular in the playoffs since 2010, including an NBA Finals trip. I don't know what would possess Martin to think the Thunder don't care about winning. When has Martin reached the post-season outside of '12-13?

--Captain Decker

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Brilliant observation!

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm going to go way out on a limb here and suggest that Martin was trying to communicate that (1) He's enjoying playing for the Timberwolves, (2) everyone on the team is playing unselfishly, and (3) they're all focused on getting to the playoffs.

I don't see him mention Durant or Westbrook or the Thunder at all. He doesn't even make any comparison statement. The reason he mentions leading in scoring is because Love is the scoring leader, and he's only saying that Love being in the lead isn't due to him hogging the ball. For those who may have forgotten, this is basketball, not a daytime soap opera.

1 person likes this.
  19. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i think it's the word "here" that leaves it open to interpretation. without hearing the question and how his answer actually sounded, it could have just been a word at the end of a sentence, or it could have been emphasized as in "here" as opposed to another place he's just been, which just happened to have two huge scorers. it's possible he just likes his role and likes playing for adelman and a team like adelman's rockets where chemistry is great and everyone shares the ball.

it's also possible he didn't like playing with two dominant scorers and only getting 6th man minutes and 6th man points. granted, it's pretty hard to argue the thunder don't care about winning given that they just went to the finals and followed it up with a league-leading point differential and were only derailed by the westbrook injury. and martin didn't exactly step up when he had his chance when westbrook got hurt.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/103/kevin-martin-kd-is-my-guy

http://newsok.com/article/3901784