1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Martin defaults on mortgage

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by blunto, Oct 15, 2010.

1. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

it may be "good business" but if he's just cutting bait I find it somewhat pathetic in these times. Maybe that is just because I know people that struggled to pay their mortgages long after they should have because it was the right thing to do, hoping things would turn around for them, only to eventually lose them in this economy.

Sorry, I can't get with the notion that it's alright. I'm not blaming him, more blame for the legislation regarding mortgages in California, but something like this doesn't sit well with me in this climate. It smacks of lack of responsibility and accountability, and points to a larger problem regarding lending. I can't blame him for making the decision if that indeed is what's going on, but the fact that someone who is a millionaire can just walk away from this and not take a long term hit is somewhat irritating when I see so many others struggling to do what's right and hang on to theirs.

That said, I agree that the banks knew the risk and if they want to live by the sword they have to die by the sword, in a case like this.

Can't hate on him, but not impressed. Is this the right forum for this? I guess it's loosely related to him coming here, but...

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Crazy,

I understand the personal connection etc, but just because your friends made their choice etc, don't hold that against someone else making what they think is the right choice for themselves.

Heck, your friends may do it differently if it happened again.

DD

3. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

I don't. and said that, I just can't get with it. Choices in Texas are not as easy as they are in Cali. regarding this. It points out a climate that should have never been, and taking advantage of that, whether a bank or a millionaire, doesn't sit well with me.

4. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

I think there's a big difference between guys like Kmart that are really more like a company then an individual, and the every common person. And I disagree that you should always follow your financial advisors...they have no concern for your personal ethics.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Don't know why anyone would expect something different from Kevin Martin. He's doing pretty much the same thing off the court that he does on the court-- taking full advantage of the rules for personal gain.

He's never declined free throws because a certain foul he drew happens to be kind of cheap and he wants to take "personal responsibility" for his shot attempt, who why would we expect him to decline to make full use of his contractual and statutory rights?

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

If you make that much money, you're stupid to even HAVE a mortgage. Why borrow money at all?

If I had his annual salary, I'd pay cash for everything - or I wouldn't buy it.

7. bnb

bnb Member

not really.

off the court he defended his position by levering his house to the hilt, so that if things didn't go the way he'd hoped, he wouldn't get burned.

on the court his defense is much less effective.

8. ArtV

ArtV Member

He signed a contract to pay back a loan and now he's not. I can understand the sympathy factor if you fall on hard times but IMO - you have an obligation. Taking a loophole out just because you want to pass on your loss to the bank is not OK.

Yao come up to you and says, "Lend me $500. Here's an IOU". You say ok because really the guy has plenty of money to pay you back so there is little risk. He buys some lottery tickets and which all tickets turn out to be losers. You say, "How about my $500 back?". Yao decides since his investment didn't turn out the way he thought and since he's not legally obligated to pay you back in that state as IOUs hold very little value, he says, "Sorry - but you can have the tickets I bought". Fair and right? No it is not.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

He's just a cheap human being.

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

No you wouldn't because you would be losing money by doing that.

What you described is stupid.....

You earn more in interest on your money than you pay in interest on the mortgage payments.

Rich people get richer because they use other people's money.....not their own.

DD

#50 DaDakota, Oct 15, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  11. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

A house is a lot better collateral than lottery tickets, but I understand your point.

12. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

what's he missing on that house? 3-4 game checks?

13. DaDakota

Supporting Member

This is a great point and you can read it in the replies by most folks in this thread too.

We are not all looking at it from the same perspective.

DD

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

You're right. Carrying a mortgage for 30 years has no risk whatsoever....

15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Ima, no offense but you are not making much fiscal sense.

It is all about maximizing your own capital.

DD

16. vernonmaxwell11

in this particular instance that statement may be okay. but if it were like the million americans that bought a house worth more than they could afford, we wouldnt be where we are today. and i have a problem with that.

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

It is a hiccup in the market, the houses in Cali were over inflated, and the market crashed, it is cyclical.

DD

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

You have to factor in the RISK, DD. Dude is a millionaire and he's having to default on his mortgage for crying out loud. If that's what you call "maximizing your own capital", count me out.

100% of foreclosures happen to people with mortgages. If you're as rich as Martin, why not pay cash for a house and invest the $$ that would normally go towards a mortgage payment?

Eh, this is the GARM. Why are we arguing about money? I'm out.

19. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

So if the argument is that Kmart should assume all the risk and take the hit because he's loaded....I think it's safe to say that the bank has more money then he does. I really don't think that should matter.

So is it fair that the bank and Kmart split the loss on the short sale? Would it then be fair for Kmart and the Bank to split the profit if it was sold for gain.

Also, the article doesn't say how much is still due on the bank loan. If he only owes $1.2 mil on it for example, then the bank is only out $100k, while Kmart is essentially losing $700k on the investment

20. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Hmmmmm......?????

Interesting.

Got some inside info you would like to share with us?