1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Martin As Our 6th Man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aussie_Fozzey, Mar 17, 2012.

Tags:
?

Keep Kevin Martin As A Starter Or Use Him As Our 6th Man?

1. Start Martin

31 vote(s)
    17.5%
  2. Keep Lee

146 vote(s)
    82.5%
  1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I agree with those saying play KMART as long as he is hot. This may be far fetched but Martin's troubles began in early February when the idiot coach McHale removed KMart against Phoenix early in the game despite KMart being hot. It was eventually a blow out but KMart should have played at least 30 mintues.

Offensive players like to score and sort of pad up their stats and keep the momentum going. You never see Kobe being rested after the first quarter irrespective of whether it is a blow out or not.

Before that game, KMart went for 29, 29, 29 31, 25, 32, 11, 25, 28

2. lr22

lr22 Member

If he accepts that role, start Lee and let Martin be our Jason Terry.
    Martin needs to concentrate on scoring in order to show off his best. He is a player of JT or Barbosa type, not so much of Kobe Bryant type.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not if he is giving up points.... He can score all he wants... up to 40.... but if he is giving up 29 points in return..... we should give minutes to Courtney who is capable of scoring 25 himself.

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

KMart's defense has not been that bad. He has improved quite a bit and is actually putting some effort on D. The advantage of having Dragon (assuming KMart starts) is that he is big enough to guard most shooting guards.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You can blame it on his shoulders and his undernourished body but he was playing abysmal on basketball courts outside of Toyota Center.
    He indeed averaged stretches of 10 points or less and gave up on Defense. Flopping never worked for him.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Don't know about effort, He was having 0, 5, 6 point games....
    so there goes your effort.
    Courtney is playing on a high level now with a lot of confidence and you don't want to milk that? All the way.....

7. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

K-Mart would be perfect with our bench mob.

Best bench in the nba

Dragic
    Martin
    Budinger
    Patterson
    Camby

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I had been saying this for awhile now. Martin and Scola in the starting lineup together spells defensive doom.

9. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I've been wanting to see this for almost 2 months.

Starting lineup gets another very solid defensive player, while the bench gets a scorer. Martin gets to go out there with the "I need to score" mentality rather than sharing the ball too much.

Unfortunately, Kevin Martin seems like the type of guy that would take it personally, though. So I seriously doubt it happens.

10. johnnyonthespot

I am all for Lee starting.

To those of you concerned about it affecting Martin's confidence and messing up his game, can it really get much worse than it was the last 3-4 games he played? He was an absolute zero in a few games before his shoulder strain. He would start the game, but Lee got the majority of the minutes and it seemed like Martin stayed on the bench the entire second half in a couple games.

Hopefully this was all just because he was playing injured, and when he gets back he will be putting up 25-30 PPG again.

11. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

It's worth the risk because he's been awful for pretty much the majority of the season anyway. Something has to change.

Seems like he's never going to be an all-star so why not take a stab at being the best 6th man in the NBA. His scoring prowess would be golden with our 2nd unit!

12. theglyde1121

theglyde1121 Member

Martin's talents would be utilized best off the bench. I think that would be a great Moneyball move. I just watched that movie for the first time this past weekend.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Lol at a Martin, budinger bench. Who guards the opposing strong wing? Keep it the way it is.

14. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

I think he would be better off of the bench if he played hard, but i dont see him giving it his all if he is taken out of the starting line-up

15. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

I think Martin is going to turn it around with the deadline over now...coming into this season I dont think anyone would been saying to put a guy avg 23.5ppg on the bench...martin is the biggest offensive threat we have IMO..I like how lee is playing but I still have faith in Martin that when he gets his confidence back he will return to being the scorer he has been his whole career and all will be forgiven by the fans...let's face it if lee started over Martin then his asking price is going to rise and we won't retain him...if Martin plays well we could keep possibly trade him and be able to sign lee for a better price giving us lee and another talent to help...I personally like Martin and if he can turn back to who he was I would want him stay on our team

16. dartherus

dartherus Member

I was abouy yo say something similar.

Apart from strictly game considerations, the mid-term consideration of trying to play KM starter and as many minutes as possible (again, as possible, without giving too much advantage to the opponents) is important, to keep KM trade value without giving up victories.

Courtney Lee could play good minutes as a 6th man (competing with Dragic for the 6th man label) and playing the final quarter (where KM was proven less effective, even during his prime time).

17. HollaIFyaHEMI

HollaIFyaHEMI Contributing Member

Great game by Courtney tonight.... 0-8

We need Martin back and FAST

18. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

He is absolutely killing me in my fantasy league. What a giant disappointment.

19. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

"Kevin Martin as our coveted expiring contract for the 2013 deadline"

and to answer the poll, as long as Lee sees more minutes than Martin, i'm fine