1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Love officially a Cavalier

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by davidio840, Aug 23, 2014.

1. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

They have to now divvy up 96 minutes between Rubio, Mo Williams, Barea, Martin, LaVine and Wiggins. Surely there is another trade here, probably Martin.

The great irony about this trade is that Martin would be a fantastic fit in Chicago, they could really use a 3 point shooter. I'd trade that draft pick the Bulls have from Cleveland in the Deng trade for Kevin Martin right now.

Rose-Hinrich
    Martin-Snell
    Butler-Dunleavy-McBuckets
    Gasol-Gibson-Mirotic
    Noah

Bulls would have the edge in the East.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

LOL, right? Each of those teams was miles deeper and more balanced than the Heat. Sprinkled with hall-of-famers top to bottom.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

All the championship teams were pretty much super teams, except maybe Detroit, which had arguably the best starting 5 in the league b/c they were all-stars at all position (no superstars).

Lebron controls his own destiny, rather than letting GMs do it. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It takes players to want to play with you to form these types of teams.

When Lebron was with the Heat, he still went Cleveland mode for 2 of the playoff runs, so it wasn't like he breezed.

#63 t_mac1, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Kevin Love will lead the Cavs in rebounding. Put that in the bank. Guaranteed.

LeBron will definitely lead in scoring but his PPG and MPG should drop.

LeBron should lead in assists almost for sure this first year back. In future seasons, Kyrie might overtake him. Depends on his development as a playmaker.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, but there were three super teams in that era. Magic, Bird and Fo Fo Fo Moses. Sprinkled in with Akeem / Sampson in '86 and Detroit later in the decade

Winning in the 80s meant always facing one or two super teams

Suffice it to say Magic or Bird would have won 8 rings if the other hadn't existed

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Nah. If the Celtics didn't exist, the Rockets might have won two rings in 81 & 86. They would have clobbered the Bucks in 86. I'm not so sure about beating the Sixers in 81. Probably not.

7. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

2 best post players Lebron have ever played with his entire career. Bosh, Love and even Wade with those outstretched arms and hops. It's amazing how lucking Lebron is. He's gonna be making out with Love on the bench since he's so happy have him.

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I can't wait to watch this team. I just hope Love doesn't go all Chris Bosh and happily revert to role player status.

Lebron and Love should average around 48-50 ppg combined.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Boston had like the worst record in the league before Bird. So yeah, I'd say that's true.

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Nah - he CLEARLY said that Love was the 'next oldest' on the team (after the 30 year olds) - and then said something about Lebron at 29.

Pretty clearly 29 is bigger than 25, so therefore Love is not the 'next oldest' behind the 30 year olds, Lebron is. Which, funnily enough, would have been a point in his favour.
    Of course, standing against him is the trading of 2 guys with 1 years NBA experience (ie, young) for 1 guy with 6 years NBA experience (ie, old) AND the fact that most of those 30 year old guys signed after the 'young team' commentary.

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Birds Celtics:

Larry Bird (HoF)
    Kevin McHale (HoF)
    Robert Parish (HoF)
    Bill Walton (HoF)
    Dennis Johnson (HoF)

Danny Ainge (all star)
    Scott Wedman (2xall star)

Puts the current 'superteam' concept to shame!

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Wut.

This is not difficult to understand.

The post MONON responded to stated "It would have been fun to see LeBron lead a young team to the finals"

LeBron is a constant. Therefore, it's irrelevant to keep saying that LeBron is older than Love. The post was about the difference in LeBron leading a Cavs team with Wiggins/Bennett and LeBron leading a Cavs team with Love.

LeBron is the guy leading the team both times. So it's irrelevant to point out that he's older than Love. I think everyone realizes that.

Here's MONON's quote:

He's clearly talking about the next oldest member of the team other than LeBron (and the veterans he stated beforehand). Since LeBron is the guy leading a young team in heypartner's premise, LeBron would not lead himself. Hence why LeBron at 29 would not even be factored into the point he was making.

I actually don't even think MONON was disagreeing with heypartner. Rather, he was just stating that the team's average age has not changed that much, relatively speaking. So, if heypartner wanted to see LeBron lead a "young" Cavs team to the final, it will probably still happen.

The average age of the Cavs atm is: 26.375 median: ~24

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/roster/_/name/cle/cleveland-cavaliers

The average age of the Cavs before the trade: 25.706 median: 23

Based upon subtracting Love's age and factoring in Wiggins (19) and Bennett (21)
    <br>
    Furthermore, just because Love has more NBA experience does not change the age factor. Sure, if heypartner would have said "taking an inexperienced Cleveland team" then there would have been a point.

Additionally, all the 30 year old guys who have signed with Cleveland were going to sign regardless of whether Love was there or Wiggins/Bennett. So those things should be held constant as well.

13. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

:cool:

Glad it's official. Yeah, the Cavs could have waited and maybe get Love as a FA. But a lot can happen in a year - injuries, drama, a better suitor develops, etc to change the situation. I think we've all seen what can go wrong when you wait.

After one bad move after another last season, it's ridiculous how the team has flipped. I'm really excited and curious to see how the team gels. At least one thing is for certain, it will be fun to watch.

14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

To summarise: you agree Lebron is older than Love, and adding Love made the team older.

Ok, thanks :p

15. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Minnesota Wolfpack

16. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Boston really wasn't a super team once Detroit became one. And there are other super teams now. Don't the spurs have a big 3, and a roster so deep they could afford to not play one guy 30 minutes a night? The Thunder still have the 2nd best player, along with Westbrook and Ibaka. Harden was also on that team, when LeBron beat them.

Same *****, different day.

17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Parish and McHale weren't on the team when they had the worst record. Please identify the Bird title team that wasn't a super team.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

not sure what you are saying.

Bird, Magic and Moses/Erving were super teams. That's all I'm saying.

I think you are saying Super Teams win. I'm saying the '80s were the only time three super teams existed with Akeem/Sampson shlt taking out the Laker's in four games in a row.

Are you trying to say this era, and all eras, have super teams competition of the '80s? because that would be foolish for you to say.

Fo Fo Fo

#78 heypartner, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  19. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Yes, I agree.

And you misunderstood that wasn't the point of the post you responded to initially. ;)

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

While they might not be called super-teams... There's lots of really really good teams today.

It's just almost all of them are in the west. I'd still contend Spurs, Thunder, Clippers would have all probably beat this years Heat. The entire rest of the western playoff teams would have played very competitive series and possibly won.

any easy path for Lebron should be in reference to the east, which is clearly valid. The east sucks.

But history will put little weight on that. Before the recent Spurs run, they hadn't encountered much beyond an occasional Lakers squad in all if their championships runs... And nobody every points that out.