1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Love: Career Loser or Missing Piece?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BreakYoSelfFool, Mar 13, 2013.

?

Is Kevin Love a Career Loser or the Missing Piece

1. Career Loser

68 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Missing Piece

211 vote(s)
    57.3%
  3. Both of the Above

54 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. None of the Above

35 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. BreakYoSelfFool

In 5 seasons in the NBA, Kevin Love has put up some gaudy numbers, becoming both an All-Star and All-NBA team member. However, his at times eye-popping numbers have not translated to wins on the basketball court.

In Kevin Love's 5 seasons in the NBA his team, the Minnesota Timberwolves, have a win percentage of .276; basically identical to the record they had the season before he joined the team. In games he has played, Kevin Love has a career win percentage of .299. The Timberwolves have not finished a season above .300 since 2008 when he joined them. In addition, his team is on pace to finish over .300 for the first time, with Kevin Love missing the majority of the season.

By contrast, the Memphis Grizzlies, the team that drafted him in 2008 and traded him prior to the start of the season for OJ Mayo, had an identical record in 2007-2008 to the Timberwolves. Since then, they only finished sub .300 once, in 2008-2009. They have also made the playoffs multiple times even reaching the second round.

Although basketball is a team sport, it is driven by stars and great players. It is almost unheard of for a star to be on a bottom dwelling team for 5 consecutive seasons. To the contrary, stars are often criticized for not being able to take a team to the 2nd round of the playoffs single-handed. Great players, are able to take teams without great supporting casts to the playoffs (Pau Gasol, TMac, Chris Bosh, D-Wade, Garnett, Gilbert Arenas, etc) and all-time great players carry teams without great supporting casts to the finals (Hakeem, Shaq, Lebron, Dwight Howard, etc.)

What does this extreme lack of success say about Kevin Love? Is he a career loser who should be avoided like the plague? Or is this a fluke that should be ignored for the potential missing piece of the Rockets?

2. dragonz

dragonz Member

I am the first one voted Career Loser? WOHO!!!

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is one of the missing pieces and you can't call him a career loser yet
    Guy has not been around that long

4. Karolik

Karolik Member

I would trade everyone player on this team not named Harden for him.

5. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

and not named Parsons and Asik, too.

6. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Exactly, he's been playing like 3 years. He's like the same age as Parsons and Lin. With Harden and Love, we'd have one of the best duos in the league in 5 years. They'd both hit their prime at the same time.

7. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

You wouldn't trade Parsons for Love? I'd trade either for Love.

8. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

He's really good at basketball and would be an excellent fit here.

9. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

He's amazingly gifted and anyone would be stupid to pass on him because he is a "career loser" (basketball is a team game guys)

My concern is he is quite the douche and not a very good defender.. but in the right system with the right pieces, he can contribute mightily to a contending team

10. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Look at the players he played with. Is he as good as Lebron, ofcourse not. But he is a great young player, who would fit ideal with our team.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He will fit in well with Asik.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

He's only 24 and he's had an injury-plagued season. If we could get him, he would make our offense completely unstoppable, and our rebounding beastly since we could always have either Love or Asik on the court to get boards.

Our defense would still suck though.

But could we acquire Love in the offseason? Doubt it since he's under contract until 2015.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

I disagree for two reasons. One is that Love will allow Asik to be more aggressive on help defense, knowing someone will clean up the shot he challenges. Two is that when Asik is off the court, we still have one reliable rebounder, which we currently do not have.

That said, I think any trade for Love would include Asik(and Parsons for that matter). But assuming Asik's still here, Love would be a great fit next to him.

I think it's possible as early as the trade deadline of next year. If the Wolves are still floundering and they don't see a future with Love+Rubio as their core, that would be the moment for Minnesota to trade him at high value. Similar to Deron Williams trade.

14. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

The early returns suggest that clutchfans is full of morons.

15. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Nearly every player in the NBA would become a "loser" if his main teammates were Beasley, Darko, Wes Johnson and Luke Ridnour.

That's a worse team than Kareem had to carry in LA in his pre-Magic days (and he missed the playoffs multiple times).

Love/Rubio/Pekovic core was healthy together for only ~40 games (and they had a winning record).

16. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

I would trade my left nut for Kevin Love to be on this team.

1 person likes this.
  17. ooox

ooox Member

Lmao what? I might have to think about it with Parsons but I would give up Asik for Love in a heartbeat.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Are you insane? The guy is a superstar. He is the top rebounder in the league, can score in a variety of ways and works hard to improve his game through practice.

The only area where he needs improvement is defense, and I'm sure he is capable of defending whoever Asik is not defending.

19. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Can't believe all these people voting "Career Loser".