1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Johnson - Houston Texans' first round (#16 overall) pick in 2015 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Clutch, Apr 30, 2015.

?

Do you like this pick for the Texans?

1. YES

155 vote(s)
    81.6%
  2. NO

35 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed but at least we drafted in that direction

2. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

With the Colts giving even more toys to Andrew Luck, a good CB is a solid pick.

3. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

We're not gonna see any less of Andrew Luck (plus Mariota and Bortles) in the next 10 years. This is a great pick.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm not going to say anything for fear of being mocked 3 years from now. :)

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I guess the pick was true to the BPA board but when I look at the depth chart, DB is not significantly deficient. I liked the play of the maturing group we have behind the starters at CB in Bouye, Morris and Hal. I guess he is the future starter for JJo or allows JJo to be a cap casualty. The pick didn't seem like the biggest step we could have made at 16 to win more now.

RDE J.J. Watt Keith Browner
    NT Vince Wilfork Louis Nix
    LDE Jared Crick Jeoffrey Pagan
    SLB Whitney Mercilus John Simon
    ILB Brian Cushing Mike Mohamed
    ILB Akeem Dent Justin Tuggle Jeff Tarpinian
    JLB Jadeveon Clowney Jason Ankrah
    LCB Kareem Jackson A.J. Bouye Darryl Morris Jumal Rolle
    RCB Johnathan Joseph Andre Hal
    SS D.J. Swearinger Eddie Pleasant Josh Aubrey
    FS Rahim Moore

1 person likes this.
  6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I haven't followed the draft this year, so I have zero opinions on the player, but I listed CB as our 2nd biggest need, so I'm happy with the strategy employed here.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't LOVE this pick. I keep hearing people talk about his quickness, but they ignore his actual speed. 4.5+ isn't very impressive. Richard Sherman is an exception at that speed. Most of the top corners are significantly lower than that. I worry about his recovery speed, and I certainly don't see how he is going to be expected to cover TY Hilton, the player everyone thinks he was brought in to stop.

He has Kareem Jackson type speed. Now, his quick twitch quickness is definitely better than Kareem, so he has more coverage upside and his instincts are better (Kareem still struggles with this) but if a deep threat gets by him they are gone, just like with Kareem.

8. ima_drummer2k

I don't like the philosophy of drafting someone to help you win now. I think you should be thinking more about the next 10 years instead of strictly the next year.

The way the NFL is heading, I don't think it's a bad idea to have too many CBs. Especially in our division...

9. justtxyank

I have no problem drafting a CB as a position. JJo is a free agent next year and I believe Morris is as well. JJo is banged up a lot now and is bound to miss snaps in games and probably games as a whole. Morris gets banged up a lot as well and so does Bouye. Our so called CB "depth" disappears quickly. It happened multiple times last year.

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

Uber athletic, he will bulk up. Not super knowledgeable about how he ranks against others. A little concerned that several "experts" had him going in the second round.

11. Dubious

I'm not strongly disagreeing but if you had a CB rated 5.689 and an OLB rated 5.688, I'd take the position of need. I have doubts over the cross ratings of position; certainly it is qualified by the value of the position, i.e. guard vs. LT so why wouldn't you qualify it a bit by team need?

We have some good CB's, we have an underperforming WR corp and we lost a starting OLB to free agency.

#71 Dubious, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015
  12. ima_drummer2k

Yeah, hopefully the OLB (and ILB) situation will be addressed today.

I just feel like we draft a pass rusher high every year and besides JJ, where has it gotten us?

13. justtxyank

The Ravens liked him I know that, and I like their personnel department.

Nate Orchard is still on the board as an OLB prospect and I know the Texans like him. There's also Davis Tull as a later round guy that I'd like to grab. He's real lunch pail try hard guy and I like those high effort/high motor guys who were productive in college. They may not be stars, but if they bring it on every play they can make an impact.

14. Dubious

If Mercilus performs and Clowney can play, we will look pretty good. But I feel like you need to hedge that and you could use 3 anyway.

I would have taken DGB, but I don't see the psych reports. Apparently Gregory has a bad one.

15. conquistador#11

people want to give up on the merciless so soon, when last season was his first as a starter. he was behind a pro bowler in barwin.
    whitney was second on qb hits on the team, had 7 stuffs in the run game comparable to Keuchly and rolando. He took strides on run defense. he is only 24!

Inside line backer is our biggest need now on D. After that, it's a luxury pick where we can't go wrong since they will add depth. A receiver that can moonlight as a returner who can return the kickoff or punt for more than 6 yards would be nice.

guys, we're just one competent arm from greatness. (passes you the bong.)
    i believe that though.

16. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

This will most likely be J Jo's final season in Houston unless he takes a big pay cut. You are in a division where you have to beat the Colts to guarantee a playoff spot. You have 3 first round picks invested in pass rushers on the team currently. Our pass rush is not terrible, we need guys who can stay with some of these speedy WRs. I am not sure that OLB is a bigger need currently than a CB who can stick to his man.

17. Buck Turgidson

It will hopefully be next year, but they really need to invest in a top flight FS.

18. justtxyank

Kevin Johnson's 40 time being over 4.5 is definitely cause for concern for me. I've been looking into it this morning, and Richard Sherman is the only guy I find that became an elite CB with a 4o time over 4.5 (most are under 4.4) For obvious reasons, that speed is important at CB. KJ doesn't have Sherman's size and physicality either.

I don't buy that he can be a guy to "stay with" speedy wide receivers. Maybe the "quick" wide receivers that kill you underneath, but the deep threats will do to him what they do to Kareem.

19. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Is that counteracted by the several experts that had him as the best CB in the draft?

20. justtxyank

What expert had him as the best CB in the draft? I didn't see anyone that had him over Trae Waynes.