1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Kevin Durant - self-loathing is what drives him

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by daeyeth, Sep 16, 2010.

1. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

I was reading an article on Yahoo that really disturbed me.

This should of been one of the proudest moments of Durant's career thus far and yet he reacts by attacking himself. And people praise him for it. To me, it's really heartbreaking to see how much he tortures himself.

Sports, where self-esteem is arrogance and self-loathing is humbleness. True humbleness isn't degrading accomplishments he's worked tireless for. He deserves to be proud of it and yet that would no doubt be construed as cocky. Instead, society reinforces the idea that what you've accomplished isn't from your own hard work but rather because of your team, your parents, or God.

When his team wins, it's because of them. When his team loses, it's his own fault. This is masochistic. This constant self-loathing is what drives many top athletes to perfection, they're never fulfilled by winning while paradoxically always trying to achieve it. They'll never be satisfied because they never give themselves credit for what they achieve.

You know what would be refreshing and remarkable? A superstar athlete that equally acknowledges his own accomplishments and his team's. It's very sad that it has to be one or the other. They're either narcissists or self-loathing.

Michael Jordan, who told everyone he did it by himself.
    Kevin Durant, who tells everyone he didn't do it alone.

2. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Duncan, who tells everyone he did it with the team but who everyone knows carried the team? Nice guys are boring and not news worthy, so the media has to cook up an angle to generate attention.

Durant probably beat himself up for not playing better, but who doesn't? Even McGrady, who doesn't seem to care about anything, cried after the Jazz series. It's normal. Woj likes to use a lot of hyperbole in his writing, and it looks like "self-loathing" is another case in point.

3. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

More of his "I'm the anti-LeBron" schtick...

No need to gush over himself, all the media is on his sack something fierce.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

better then talking about the lakers which your team gifted a couple rings.

kidding kidding ;)

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Media... Kevin Durant is an awesome guy who loves and respects his teammates.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

All great players have something that drives them...wouldn't look too much into it at all.

7. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I don't think it is "self-loathing" to be self critical and want to improve. He is not saying that he thinks he sucks. Watch him on the court. Durant is obviously very confident in his abilities. But if he walks around satisfied with where he is now, what will drive him to improve?

It's better than when McGrady was "so happy to finally be out of the first round" against the Pistons.

8. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Wow people are starting to hate Durant for not being arrogant. :confused:

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I agree, great players are never satisfied and point to something that drives them...woulda coulda shoulda...

10. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

I think self-loathing is probably a tad on the strong side, lol. Like my boy Shakespeare once said this is

[​IMG]

11. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Damn, you are so right. You totally caught that. Have you contacted the authorities for a suicide watch??

Seriously, reading a little much into one hyphenated word?

12. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I am a BIG fan of Durant but the media is going to milk this kid for everything he's worth. Durant being the quite kid who didn't want publicity while be a superstar was his appeal but the media is going to ride that till people start getting sick of hearing it.

13. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

at least they've stop milking oden.....shiver.

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

Durant acted this way before the whole LeBron thing. Not sure why you think he is putting on a front to be the opposite of LeBron James.

15. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

It's an Adrian Wojnarowski article. He'll tell you how you felt as your first newborn was born without ever having met you. I doubt he's even talked to Kevin Durant during the past 6 months.

16. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I get your point OP, but I don't think this is out of the ordinary for any driven pro athlete.

I know the media is all over his sack, but I don't blame him.

I was not sad when Chris Bosh spurned our advances... the saddest day of the offseason for me was when K.D. re-upped with OKC. I kept hearing Daryl Morey discuss collecting assets to acquire a super star, or hopefully a super-duper star. I felt that whole time that the scenario in his crosshairs was a Durant sign-and-trade when his contract expired in the 2011 offseason.

I'm not a UT guy at all. I just love this kid's game and the kind of teammate he seems to be.

17. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

why cant they just be honest about it. yeah, it's a team sport but some ppl don't pull their weight. e.g. if someone is not doing their job out there then point it out.

18. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

His schtick? You think he's doing this for attention or something?

I swear, you just can't win with haters. No matter what you do, they'll find a reason.

19. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

Complacent superstars never win anyrhing.

"Practice? I don't need no practice" = 0 rings Iverson.

and then we have the crazy work ethic champion:

"We had the day off, but they said we could get some shots up if we wanted, so I decided to head over with [Oklahoma City teammate and Team USA hopeful] Jeff Green.

"Kobe [Bryant] was the only guy on the bus, and that spoke volumes to me -- he's the best player in the game, yet he's always willing to come work on his game, so that kind of motivated me and Jeff," Durant said. "He went by himself,