1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Durant sees himself as the next TMac

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MacYao223, Mar 7, 2007.

1. MacYao223

MacYao223 Member

Joe (Amarillo, TX)|null: Everybody keeps trying to say who you remind them of. Do you see yourself as a Scottie Pippen?

Kevin Durant: I see myself as a McGrady type of player. Very versatile. Can post up. Shoot. Handle himself. I see myself as a Tracy McGrady.

Lol, its funny how all these long and lanky guys look up to Tmac, and pattern their game after his. Tmac has definitely become a prototype player. Now every draft, their is the "next Tmac", ala Gerald Green, Dorrel Wright, Quintel Woods, Rudy Gay, now Durant!

2. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

He's dead on IMO. Everytime I watch him play I can't help but compare him to T-Mac ... they are exactly alike in almost every way.

3. pli777

pli777 Member

Has anyone got a clip on youtube on this guy? Thx :D

4. Sextuple Double

Is he even human. He even has T-Mac range. The kid just pulls up from 25ft with a hand all in his nostrils and he still drills it.

5. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

If he is talking about brokeback tmac, he is dead on. But if he is talking about pre-rockets tmac, I dont think so. The thing that will seperate them there is their speed and ability to get to the hole, which Durant can't do nearly as well as t-mac could.

I think he would be even more dangerous if he bulked up and became KG with range or Dirk w/ balls to post up inside when he needs to. But I do not see him breaking down 2's or 3's with his dribble.

6. Rollazn

Rollazn Member

This guy is definately something special. He is very very good. Anyone who have the second pick in this year NBA draft is very lucky.

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i hope durant goes to an eastern conference team. last thing we need is another good team in the west.

8. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

HAHAHAHA he thinks he'll be like tracy???? no way.

he'll be better.

9. mmesser

mmesser Contributing Member

For Durant to be exactly like McGrady, he has to improve his penetration game. McGrady, especially when he was younger, can get to basket with the best of them. Durant has shown to be able to get close and chunk up a short range shot, but I haven't seen him throw anything off the backboard to himself yet.

Other than that, he's going to be a great spot up shooter, just like my T-Mac!

10. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I see myself as the next Vassilis Spanoulis.

11. BlakeB

BlakeB Member

It's STILL not too late to tank the season and get Durant! And then after we do that we'll execute Bonzi Wells and bring in Mike James, Rashard Lewis, and start Novak at SF. Might as well start him at SF, the battier trade was a bust... we should see if we can get steve francis for him and Rafer. Then, my friends, we'll be set to win the title come next season.

Seriously though, Durant seems like a great prospect, a great talent and perhaps as much of a sure thing you can draft. Tracy McGrady talented? I don't know about that... but I'd love to see the kid burn up the league.

Just uh... make sure it's for an Eastern Conference team. We really don't need anymore talent cluttering the West. The West is already so talented that it wouldn't be outrageous to see David Stern declare the finals will be played between two WC teams. I'd support that 100%, the EC can just use the ECF as a 3rd place title. It's only fair until the EC gets a solidly great team that a) isn't the Pistons or b) good (Bulls, Cavs, Wiz) but deeply flawed and questionable.

12. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

13. MacYao223

MacYao223 Member

He cannot handle the rock like Tmac though, and like someone said before, he doesn't have explosive quickness to beat 2guards and SF's off the dribble, so he will end up settling for alot of jumpshots. What he could really benefit from his bulking up, thus he could take smaller players in the post. Thats the key that seperates Tmac from all these young cats, they might have the hops, they might have the jumpshot, but none of them have the handle; and thats what Kevin needs to work on

14. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

i remember reading a SI article stating that the MAJORITY of HS and college players pattern their game after tracy's.

it's obvious his game is the nicest looking b/c he makes it so easy. it just needs to take winning for the world to recognize that. but ballers know wassup

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Eventually I think things might shape up like this fir Durant when compared to His Macness.

Durant:
    Better-
    shooter (potential to be amazing shooter)
    size
    post game
    rebounder
    interior presence on both sides

Worse-
    court vision
    1st step

Both have that necessary tools to be top notch defenders, tmacs motor usually doesnt put out that level of D until the playoffs. Both have the clutch factor intangible. Right now Durant looks more like Rashard Lewis mixed with the CURRENT Grant Hill.

16. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Durant is dead on...he can rise up and score over anyone anywhere on the court. He has practically unlimited range. He is long and quick on defense.

Once he fills out he could be one of the best players in the NBA. I would draft him first over Oden.

17. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Good points...but he's uh...18? He's got time to work on his game. He is already the best player by far in college basketball. (sorry Oden)

18. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

i don't think he jumps on his J as high as tmac. tmac's elevation is HIGH. i mean, remember how he just shoots over josh smith in atlanta w/ smith right in his grill. crazy.

durant will be a better interior player b/c of the lack of back problems but i think he's a "better" version of rashard lewis. lewis is tall, can shoot but can't handle the rock. durant can.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Durant is poised to make a bigger impact on the NBA early on than Tracy. But it's a stretch to think he will develop the same kind of skills. He also won't be able to match Tracy's sick athleticism and quickness. He plays a different kind of game, somewhere in between Tracy and KG. His perimeter skills will surpass KG so it remains to be seen how his body fills out and how strong he gets.

Whatever happens, Durant seems like a nice kid who has his head on straight. I will be a big fan of his. One of the things I just love about the NBA is following my favorite players, wherever they play.

20. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

i dont follow college hoops. maybe a better ball handling version of rashard lewis?

McGrady can run point if need be. Can Durant?