1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keto Tips.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Aug 2, 2022.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am currently wanting to start doing a Keto diet.

My biggest issue with keto is Carbs I love bread and have a huge sweet tooth.

I did it before and lost about 15 pounds and was pretty satisfied with my meals but at some point, you just want some rice or pasta and bread.

I have been gaining weight since my surgery and in the most terrible places.:(

I see there are now more things being made with cauliflower and broccoli but most keto stuff is pretty expensive and hard to get.

So the question I have is what are good Keto products?

What is a good resource for recipes?

How do the fat bombs work?

Where should I buy from?

Any tips would be appreciated.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Sams Club has good Orowheat bread. The Xtreme low carb tortillas aren’t bad, which you can also get at Sams or Kroger.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

They have Keto Sandwich Thins. 100 calories. Actually doesn't taste too bad.

4. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I use the Thin Slim zero carb bread. it's kinda gross in sandwiches unless i toast it in some butter.

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm going to try the bacon-only Keto diet. How long do you think I will live?

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Thanks.

Yeah, that's something else it has to taste at least ok, I brought some bread from Aldi and it was like cardboard, would rather do without.

I have been using some low-carb tortillas and they are not bad.

Who makes the keto Sandwich thins?

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

@jiggyfly i did Keto for about a year starting May of last year. It worked great, I lost 27 lbs total and really leaned up, I also workout 3-4 times a week and pretty active other days.
    If you can be diligent about it, it’s super effective. I would still stay away from too much bacon and cheese, for cholesterol reasons.

I ran into the issue of it just not being sustainable for me and my family, it’s difficult having a toddler and trying to cook/prepare meals for you, the wife and kids. Not even mentioning the grocery bill lol.
    Now I’m on a calorie count system and stick to lean meats, veggies, fruits, minimal carbs and no sugars.
    I feel more full now and still losing body fat %, went from 19-20% as a 39 yr old to 12-13% as a 40 yr old. Energy levels are up, my vitals are terrific.

Basically there’s multiple ways to skin a cat, Keto can for sure do it, but it is hard to maintain.

8. Xerobull

Nice work! 12% is impressive. It may sound like a lot to someone who has no clue but most people are packing on at least 25%.

FrontRunner and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Right, I do have an unfair advantage working in athletics. But that doesn’t always mean you stay in shape lol
    I don’t want to get any leaner as I’m a pretty wide guy in general, it doesn’t look right to be super lean

10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I have been doing it for years. I stay at 190 now instead of 220 at 6'3".

Bacon, eggs.
    Salads.
    Chicken wings and ranch.
    Steaks and mushrooms.
    Burger without the buns.
    Water.

Some weekends I cheat, some weekends I dont but the weekdays are pretty strict. Also intermittent fasting from 8pm to 11am.

jiggyfly, tmoney1101 and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

When I did keto I just ended up on a carnivore diet. At first I tried all the feux carb cheats but none of them were worth the trouble. I basically just ate meat, mostly red. After about a couple weeks it wasn’t too bad. I already ate a lot of meat anyway. If I ever do it again it’ll be strictly meat and veg. Just sucks that meat prices are through the roof right now.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yes!
    Meat prices and grocery prices are dumb right now.
    We eat salmon twice a week, chicken, lean beef filets and some catfish/tilapia blackened filets in general. Along with a lot of green veggies and Yukon gold potatoes. My grocery bill a week is up over $200 from about $125-$150 before

tmoney1101 likes this.
  13. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Intermittent fasting is a great way to lose weight and keep it off. The best part about it is it's ****ing easy. You literally do nothing. Just go to bed a little hungrier. Sure, it feels strange and requires a little willpower at first but ****...

Astrodome and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

It’s crazy. During the time about 5 years ago I was stacking meat in the freezer. Was eating different cut of steak every night. Even a couple years ago they’d regularly have skirt steak for 4.99 a pound on sale at Kroger. Now it’s 7 bucks a pound if it even makes it over to the “manager’s special” section after being on sale for something like 10.99 and regular price of around 14 bucks. I’m in a similar situation as you 39 next month with a toddler in the house but minus the wife/mother and I have her full time on one income. It’s tough out here.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Respect brother. It’s tough lol

tmoney1101 likes this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

George Stella cookbooks. Rarely a miss on any of his recipes

Astrodome likes this.
  17. Xerobull

Take a drive out to see @Buck Turgidson

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Going to tentatively like this post until I investigate.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  19. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Yasss. I am lazy or I would do a legit 16 hours. It wouldn't be too hard to add that extra hour and it probably would pay dividends.

FrontRunner likes this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Astrodome and cmoak1982 like this.