1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kerr played his bench. Dantoni didnt: BALL GAME

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, May 10, 2019.

1. AB423

AB423 Member

Better than a 6 man rotation we had last year

2. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

7 deep except for spot minutes for Nene and Green. 2 of our most high usage bench players during the season didn't get off the bench. GS went about 12 deep.

3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

It's more than this

Kerr could play his bench because he has practices , a system , and has given those guys minutes during the Regular season .

We don't have any young guys that a capable of playing because they hardly played at all after the ASB . Sticking them in the g-league does nothing for their immediate playablility .

MDA is notoriously light on practices so he can justify playing James heavy minutes . But limiting practice means that if you are out of the rotation then that's basically it .

bmelo, Little Bit and pippendagimp like this.
  4. RocketRed4life

MDA drowned this team with his decision. This loss IS ON HIM . You want to keep him??? Dont complain next year...

snowconeman22 likes this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I like D'Antoni, but I think it's time to try someone else.

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I think the Warriors did a good job of defending the Rockets and not allowing the Rockets to take advantage of the their defensive weaknesses. The flip side to that is that the Rockets did a poor job of getting into their sets quickly and were often forced late in the clock to attack non-optimal match-ups.

From a Rockets defensive standpoint, while I do understand why the Rockets played tradition PnR defense instead of their excellent switching defense (in order to protect Capela), I completely don't understand why they didn't bail on that plan when for game 6, GS attacking Capela on the PnR produced a 160 offensive efficiency rating (according to my game tracking). It should have been obvious that the Rockets' trying to do something they weren't good at (traditional PnR trap defense) vs a team great at exploiting that style of defense (GS) was so glaringly failing that they should have gone small and abandoned the game 6 defensive plan way early on.

So with the caveat that the Rockets were planning to suck on defense playing a different style (being facetious), then yes, they could have played Faried more (if he were around - didn't read the baby thread yet). Because Faried can definitely do what Capela did here:

Traditional PnR trap defense

However, if the Rockets were to go back to switching everything and play small, then Faried was just as bad as Capela when GS attacked him in the iso off of switches (and worse off-ball). For example:

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I may have bookmark your post - just so I can cut n paste it for the next few months everytime someone uses the tired excuse "they lost to one of the greatest teams ever who were loaded with multiple mvps and all-stars - what do you expect?"

lol

J.R. likes this.
  8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

That's really not true until Durant went down. They also basically had a 7 man rotation plus limited minutes for 8-9.

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

ok ... but its more understandable to do that when 4 of your guys are all-stars

we were placing the same burden on PJ and Eric that they were on younger and better players .

Our advantage this series WAS depth. We didnt use it enough

10. Mr. Clutch

Yeah it's funny how the narrative changed. Now people are saying well of course we lost, they are one of the greatest teams ever! That was only true in retrospect. The rockets were favored by 7.5 points!

Like Morey says it comes down to stars in this league. Their stars outplayed ours. Steph outplayed Harden pretty handily after durant went out imo. I wish harden would learn and improve his game, and I don't mean improving his iso.

J.R. and snowconeman22 like this.
  11. Mr. Clutch

Well I have no problem playing Tucker and Gordon lots of minutes. People were talking up Tucker as dpoy and Gordon is a 6th man of the year.

12. Mr. Clutch

What did you want him to do differently?

My only issue is they didn't seem prepared for tons of curry pick and rolls. But then they only saw that because Durant went down

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Kerr's a sneaky prick. He had that in his back pocket all series. Throw in some bench players we hadn't seen much of to throw us off knowing they could contribute. Prick. ;)

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  14. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I don't think that's true though. How can you say definitively say that one way or the other? Both benches are full of flawed players. GS did a better job of hiding their bench flaws than the Rockets did.

15. dawesome

dawesome Member

Blame KD, we'd have won if he hadn't been hurt. Damn you KD...

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

During the game, I was asking the same thing

17. rocks123

rocks123 Member

im not liking d antoni right now. but who can rockets replace him with?

18. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Nick Nurse who was a former Viper Head Coach, is in the Eastern Conference Finals with Kawhi Leonard.

If only Daryl was smarter. I guess he is more flawed, in drafting he is the worst. In trades he is average. In Free Agency he overpays, (Ryan Anderson, Chris Paul)

bmelo likes this.
  19. bmelo

bmelo Member

Maybe we should turn CP from player to coach since we paying him anyway lol I doubt he would be any less and i think he might be one of the better ones

kjayp likes this.
  20. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

MDA does not know how to use bench players. He sucks.