1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kentucky Derby

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MadMax, May 4, 2005.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Ok, you guys know I love horse racing. I'm pumped for Saturday. Here are the entries....PICK A HORSE!!!

I'M GOING WITH AFLEET ALEX. I said it last year after the Belmont, and I'm sticking with it. Later, he won the Arkansas Derby just like a certain other horse whom I've pledged to name any future children after. Ok, not really.

Full field of 20 entered for Kentucky DerbyAssociated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=2053128
    LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Expected favorite Bellamy Road and four other horses trained by Nick Zito were among a full field of 20 3-year-olds entered Wednesday for the Kentucky Derby.

Zito, bidding for his third Derby win, also sends out High Fly, Noble Causeway, Sun King and Andromeda's Hero in Saturday's Derby.

Official odds and post positions were to be determined later Wednesday.

The field, in order of post-position selection, is: Bandini, Afleet Alex, Greeley's Galaxy, Flower Alley, High Limit, Giacomo, Noble Causeway, Wilko, Greater Good, Bellamy Road, Andromeda's Hero, Spanish Chestnut, High Fly, Don't Get Mad, Coin Silver, Sun King, Closing Argument, Sort It Out, Going Wild and Buzzards Bay.

The only other trainer to send out five starters in one Derby was D. Wayne Lukas, who did it in 1996 and won with Grindstone.

Since only 20 horses were entered, Illinois Derby winner Greeley's Galaxy also made the field. Owner B. Wayne Hughes paid a $200,000 supplemental entry fee because his colt wasn't nominated to the Triple Crown races.

Had more than been 20 entered, the field would have been determined on graded-stakes earnings, but early Derby nominations are given preference over supplemental entries.

Since the 20-horse rule began in 1984, the race has yet to reach the maximum. There have been 19 starters five times under the rule, most recently in 2000. Last year, 20 were entered but only 18 ran in the Derby after St. Averil and Wimbledon were late scratches.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

I won the whole kitten ka boodle last year with birdstone, at 33-1, greatest 3 minutes ever, so you know I'll be betting again. I'll post my pick.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i officially hate you.

who do you use to handicap? what sources? i'm more of a fan than a gambler.

4. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Based on nothing but name alone, I'm going with Noble Causeway.

5. drapg

drapg Member

God I love this time of year!!!

Afleet Alex is also my bet.

6. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Texans owner Bob McNair has a horse in the derby.

Name: Sort It Out

7. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Afleet Alex

8. PhiSlammaJamma

I do my own research. Doesn't take long tho. I just look at the race history and the pedigree. My friend works at the Preakness and makes the bets for me. Then she brings home all the leftover catering. Sweet.

This year I will bet on:
    Noble Causeway at 10-1: This horse came in 2nd to Bandini and has been dominant for the most part. I like his chances. He can run with the big boys.

The other horses that I think are worth betting:
    5-1 Highfly: Pretty much pure dominance. 5 of 6 races came in 1st. Looking good coming into this race. I may even put some money down on him.
    30-1 Galaxy: Inexperienced, but exciting. Could be the darkhorse to win it.

9. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Bandini is my pick.

Noble Causeway should finish in the top 3, for those of you that like to bet exotics.

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Seems like the better bet is waiting to see who wins the Kentucky Derby and then just betting that horse to win at the Preakness. Last three winners, and 6 of the last 8.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I've never seen a bad horse race ~ they're always good particularly the Kentucky Derby.

12. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I have this horrible vision of MadMax getting hooked at gambling...next thing you know he's in Vegas putting Mrs. Max on the craps table. :eek:

13. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I like a Sun King-Bellamy Road exacta box

14. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I'm so tempted to drive up there.. but I'm sure it's insanely expensive if not impossible to get in at this point.

15. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

if its like the Preakness (as far as being able to get in), it shouldnt be a problem...the more the merrier

16. BobFinn*

Any last minute opinions?

Go Bandini !!!!!

17. BobFinn*

Oh and I bet an Exacta box ($12) with 4 horses, Bandini, Noble Causeway, High Fly and Sun King.

Also threw $2 on Flower Alley (41-1) to win.

18. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Wow.

Aren't we all experts.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

20. PhiSlammaJamma

I didn't even consider that horse.