1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kentucky Derby Horse Names

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by don grahamleone, Apr 30, 2003.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I found this article on the race and the names of the horses are very unusual. There are a bunch of names that make it sound as if they can't win. I can't imagine "Supah Blitz" being announced as the winner. The names are a bit more amusing than they normally are. Either that, or I'm an idiot. Anyway, here is the article, but I'll highlight the names first:

Also entered were Atswhatimtalknbout, Brancusi, Buddy Gil, Domestic Dispute, Eye of the Tiger, Funny Cide, Indian Express, Lone Star Sky, Offlee Wild, Outta Here, Scrimshaw, Sir Cherokee, Supah Blitz, Ten Cents a Shine and Ten Most Wanted.

And Empire Maker

Field of 17 entered for Kentucky Derby

By RICHARD ROSENBLATT, AP Racing Writer
    April 30, 2003
    LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) -- Empire Maker topped the lineup of 17 horses officially entered in the Kentucky Derby on Wednesday.

Empire Maker, winner of the Florida Derby and Wood Memorial, is bothered by a right front foot bruise, but trainer Bobby Frankel said his colt is set to run Saturday in the 1 1/4 -mile Triple Crown opener.

``My vet doesn't think it's a problem,'' Frankel said. ``Everything looks good.''

ADVERTISEMENT

Frankel, looking for his first Derby victory, will also send out Peace Rules, winner of the Louisiana Derby and the Blue Grass Stakes.

Under a slight change in the selection format, the field was announced hours before the draw for post positions, when owners and trainers select a starting spot for their horses and odds are set by Churchill Downs oddsmaker Mike Battaglia.

Empire Maker was expected to be the heavy favorite, with Peace Rules considered the likely second choice.

There were no surprises in the entries as the field was set.

Also entered were Atswhatimtalknbout, Brancusi, Buddy Gil, Domestic Dispute, Eye of the Tiger, Funny Cide, Indian Express, Lone Star Sky, Offlee Wild, Outta Here, Scrimshaw, Sir Cherokee, Supah Blitz, Ten Cents a Shine and Ten Most Wanted.

The order of selecting post positions was also determined, with Offlee Wild drawing the first pick and Supah Blitz the 17th.

Frankel was given the seventh pick for Empire Maker and eighth choice for Peace Rules.

``I want to be toward the outside,'' Frankel said. ``I'll have some good choices to make. I should have no excuses.''

Bob Baffert, who has trained three of the last six Derby winners, including War Emblem last year, has one Derby horse in Indian Express. The trainer withdrew Kafwain on Tuesday after the colt strained a ligament in his right front leg.

Trainer D. Wayne Lukas, a four-time Derby winner, entered two horses -- Scrimshaw and Ten Cents a Shine.

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

My God! The announcer is going to trip over his tongue after the race starts!

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Supah Blitz and Ten Most Wanted sound like they are owned by a rap mogul.

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

As they come out of the turn, it's Sufferin' Succotash by a neck over Yabba-Dabba-Doo, two lengths back Ooh Ain't I a Stinker and That's All Folks. I Yam What I Yam can see them all, but here comes Don't Have a Cow flying on the outside, and coming down to the wire, it's all Don't Have a Cow!

5. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

If I were ever rich enough to own TWO (let alone one) Kentucky Derby/Prekaness/Belmont Stakes horses, I would name one "Choke" and the other "Clutch".

As for a third name.....

FURIOUS D

(sorry, couldn't find a pic!!!! Anyone got one?)

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I would like to see a Reefer or something like that. Then I might start to understand where these names originate.