1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kent: The Last Great Nutcase in Sports

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Mr. Clutch, Sep 24, 2004.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

holy crap, you're right! i totally remember that. you're right...i felt the same way you did. stop looking so happy after getting your ass handed to you!

my wife became a rockets fan during the championship runs...mostly because she was dating me. after they traded for barkley, it was never the same for her. she didn't understand how the bad guy could now be the guy you root for.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

I can't really say that I've disliked anyone on the stros. It's kinda like what John Rocker was saying the other day, and I cannot believe I am going quote Rocker here, of all times, and of all people, but he said "By the time a player gets to the majors they have paid so many dues, and jumped through so many hoops, that it's almost impossible for jerkstore to make it into the big leagues." In other words, those types of players get weeded out. They get blackballed. And I'd say that he's probably pretty accurate in that assessment. How many dislikeable players have really made it into the majors lately. It's such a small percentage by my count.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Good point... but if you want to become unlikeable, you could always just join the Cubs. They seem to have become quite good the last couple of years of making the "lovable losers" into downright "loathsome winers."

Just see Moises Alou's latest tirade about how the umps are out to "get him." I never remembered him having that big of a problem with the 'Stros, and he was an angel in Montreal. Suddenly, in three years with the Cubs, he's become a guy who whines about the team's announcers, the strike zone, the weather, the day games, and the fans.

Also, add Kerry Wood, Michael Barrett, Kyle Farnsworth, Kent Mercker, Carlos Zambrano and Aramis Ramirez as guys I just will never ever like. Derek Lee is about the only tolerable guy on that entire team.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

man, that's not my experience at all. i have a guy here in my office who played pro football...he tells me all the time about how pro athletes have a sense of entitlement. i don't see them weeding out jerks. i see them weeding out poor talent. there are plenty of jerks to go around in pro sports...i'd venture to say more than in most professions, my own profession excluded! :D