1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kent Bazemore meeting with Rockets as we speak (UPDATE: Signs with Hawks)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jun 30, 2016.

1. malakas

malakas Member

Why not show me then film of Bazemore shutting down a bigger sf?
    Derozan and Bazemore have nothing in common, and I'm one who doesn't even like Derozan.

2. Why not?

Why not? Member

I know I'm new so I'll probably get flamed for that fact alone, but I'm actually pleasantly surprised we are going after Bazemore. Here's why:

1. He's a very solid defender (and we badly need defenders).

2. He doesn't need the ball to be effective (we can't add any ball-stoppers to play alongside Harden). He's a pretty good shooter when he's open and I think we'll have a lot more open looks than we are used to in D'Antoni's system.

3. He's still young at 26 and I think he still has room for his game to grow. He has showed signs (whether as a rookie in the summer league--loved watching him there and really thought he could turn into something then--or with a broken LA team or in spurts last year of getting into a rhythm offensively and carrying the team for short periods of time... i.e. when Harden would be on the bench)

I really didn't see us gunning for Bazemore. He has been talked up as a hot commodity coming into this free agency for a long time and I figured he would be too pricey for us to consider. Especially when we are trying to sign two max guys (please god give us KD and Horford! ;) ).

Last point here, and this is totally conjecture, but I feel like us going for Bazemore immediately means we are actively trying to move Ariza and Brew. I need to look at the cap, but if we signed Bazemore tonight and were able to talk him down to maybe 17-18 mil, I have to think our eyes are set on still trying to nab Durant and Horford (of course by way of moving Ariza and Brew... and maybe Bev too :( ). Which would mean...

C Capela
    PF Horford
    SF Durant
    SG Bazemore
    PG Harden

Okay, I know this looks funky (I would love Conley or a Rubio trade). But let's face it, Harden needs the ball. D'Antoni talks about Harden's ability to create like he wants to make him the Steve Nash of this offense. If this scenario were to play out, I don't think there is a better option out there to play alongside Harden and Durant than Bazemore. Solid shooter, runs the floor, rebounds extremely well for his size, puts his head down and defends, and still has room for growth.

2 people like this.
  3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Why not start him at SG? We all know Harden will become our Steve Nash ball dominating guard. Use Baze and Ariza to cover up for Harden's defensive woes and it shouldn't matter that we don't have a small speedy guy on the court starting out. Then Beverley comes off the bench and does his little gnat thing.

4. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

other teams to interview with, no big deal

5. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Lol morey. Good job. No need to overpay

6. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I never said he'd shut them down. But to say he strait up can't guard them because he's 6'4/6'5 while ignoring that wingspan is FAR more important for a WING defender is totally missing the point!

7. malakas

malakas Member

I do think that Bazemore is a very soli player as you said but I don't think he's worth 20 million per.
    I also don't think that he is a good defender against sfs. I'm not saying he's a GODAWFUL defender against sfs, but he's not great.
    I think he's a good defender at the 1 and the 2 and if he signs here he should guard pgs next to Harden not sfs.

He may not bring veteran leadership but he's a great lockeroom presence.

8. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I just wanted to get a commitment tonight to try and gain some Horford momentum.

9. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Im holding out till we hear from either a Houston guy or a national guy...

10. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

Beal is gone
    Mozgov is gone
    Noah is gone
    DeRozan is gone

No verbal agreement from Bazemore.
    What is Morey Plan B?

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Flexibility on the defensive end and being able to switch seems important these days. As long as Bazemore isn't switched to a PF or C, I think he can get in the way enough to make a difference.

12. malakas

malakas Member

Didn't say he can't guard them. Said he's not good. He's okay.
    Elite>great>good>okay>bellow average> sucks.
    Baze is good guarding 1-2 and okay at 3.
    BUt if you pay a player whose strongest suit is D, 20 mil per and you put him guarding someone he's not as great as then what's the point??

I as many here know have two teams I support. Both of my teams are interested now in Bazemore. I knew abou tthe Bucks for two days. All the time the plan was to have him guard PGs not SFs. And not just because of the other players in the roster, but because he's perfectly capable of guarding pgs, and MUCH better at it than sfs.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

This. And I thought that was part of the strategy, since Horford is one of the most sought after free agents in the league. Bazemore would have been a good add in general. Bummed

14. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Morey probably hit him with a low ball. He probably still thinks he can get a phone call from KD :rolleyes:

15. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I expected him to get a max of 12m/yr at most possible, not 19-20m...

Maybe I undervalued him, but he seemed like a 8-9m/yr kind of guy in the old salary cap which if we are doing cap % is worth 11-12m yearly.

This is insane.

16. do work son

do work son Member

None of those guys were plan A. We still have plenty of options. it's only 3 hours into free agency.

exactly this. no one is asking Bazemore to be Kawhi Leonard. Just be another body to play competent defense and run in transition. Slash to the rim, knock down open 3s.

17. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Look I really respect your opinion and input on this board but I think you are off on this analysis.

He literally logged less than %1 at pg last year and he year before. I am sure he defended some off switches but he plays his high majority of time at the 3spot. He is known for his lock down defense, which by all measures grade him as a top defender, that consistently guards SFs.

He is absolutely a stud defender at the 3 and yes that is against the bigger 3s. He doesn't stop the LeBron, melo, etc... Well duh, no one does. But he is very good defensively.

Also I'm not so sure he isn't a very good shooter. If you break down his 3pt shooting by month he went
    %38
    %27
    %25
    %39
    %41
    %62
    It seems he is either streaky (most likely since he's not a pure shooter) or he went thru a really bad funk in an otherwise very good shooting season.

18. malakas

malakas Member

E'tawn Moore. Bulls only want to pay him the MLE. Why not give him one million more than the MLE? He's also a good defender.

19. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

You truly are selling him short defensively. He is a borderline elite defender

20. malakas

malakas Member

Sure and let me ask you.
    Would you pay 20 million a year for "just another body to play competend defence and run in transition" ?

He didnt' log but he switched often at the 1. When he was guarding 1-2 he was much better defensively instead bigger sfs posed problems for him.

he's a streaky shooter who shoots mostly open 3s.

Anyway whatever.
    Let's sign him first and then we will discuss what position he should guard.