1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenosha police shoots black man multiple times in his back in front of his children, declares curfew

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I've had my ass kicked by them on a couple occasions 35-40 years ago .... oddly enough , I preferred the ass kicking to the trip to jail for driving while blind in one of those instances. The other was on the reservation .... and that was no fun for no reason , just dicks being dicks.

Still , I aint scared of them doing anything to me that they shouldn't. I don't go on the res anymore where they don't need a reason to make you disappear and I don't do anything that would land me in jail so I have no fear of them doing anything because I'm not going to give them a reason to.
    I'm going to keep my hands where they can be seen and not be aggressive in any way. I'm gonna hand them my CHL permit FIRST and make sure they know what it is , then hand them my ID.
    Want to cuff me ? Here's my wrists buddy. Want to take me to jail , Lets go - Not a problem. I have seen enough to know better than to fight / resist them , suicide by cop is not the way I want to go.

Then again , I have a super power called common sense ....

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't think you fit the profile for what cops are looking for when they do the ol "I smeel weed, need to search your vehicle" routine.

What happens is that cops deem all urban black neighborhoods as "high crime areas" that give them pretext to convince the public that doing spot searches of vehicles is fine. I'm sure you haven't had a cop tell you to step out of the car to search your vehicle because you used a licence plate frame which is a minor violation.

These type of dehumanizing interactions of black men create increased odds of these type of violent interactions. Treat people like criminals long enough, they become criminals.

Let's keep in mind that law enforcement killing black men isn't the only way they abuse their power towards the African American community.

Young black men are often humiliated when they did nothing wrong besides driving in the wrong neighborhood.

London'sBurning likes this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That's where you are wrong .... I'm an old indian - 6'4" with hair half way down my back dressed in Levis and metalhead concert t-shirts more often than not and its quite possible the car smells of reefer..

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah , I have been pulled over for bullsh!t on many occasions - you failed to signal (know I did) , your license plate light is out (I Know its not) , you were driving too slow ....

Bullsh!t. You are making excuses for people doing wrong.

Apparently you've been treated horribly your entire life the way you tell it - Are you a criminal ?!

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

The kid and his family were extremely patient throughout all of that.

DVauthrin, fchowd0311 and RayRay10 like this.
  6. fchowd0311

I think somewhere in your development as a child your empathy skillsets were stunted.

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I have empathy for those that deserve it.

We all face challenges , some greater than others - Life is hard , its harder if you are stupid.

Just being black aint a hardship - Plenty of black people go thru life and never get bothered by the police because they don't give them reason. My father in law is black , he'd laugh at your pissing and whining and tell you to grow a pair.

You don't sound much like a Marine to me , you sound like a crybaby always looking for excuses or someone else to blame. I feel sorry for you - How's that for empathy ?!

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

I don't think you understand what empathy means. It has nothing to do with "feeling pity for someone". That's "sympathy". Empathy is a pragamtic tool to understand how people get to where they are. Its useful in understanding how people think.

I don't think my service is dependent on your opinion. So I'm good. Thanks for your input though.

#628 fchowd0311, Sep 4, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Some local news, because it's better than national news

https://www.fox6now.com/news/missouri-men-face-firearms-charges-linked-to-kenosha-unrest

KENOSHA - Two men from Missouri face federal firearms charges linked to unrest in Kenosha following the police shooting of Jacob Blake on Aug. 23.

According to a news release from the United States Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of Wisconsin, Michael Karmo, 40, and Cody Smith, 33 were arrested Sept. 1 at a hotel in Pleasant Prairie.

They've been charged with illegal possession of firearms.

According to prosecutors, the Kenosha Police Department advised FBI that a law enforcement agency in Iowa had received a tip that Karmo and an unidentified male were in possession of firearms and traveling from Missouri to Kenosha.

After receiving consent to search Karmo and Smith’s vehicle and hotel room, FBI agents recovered an Armory AR-15 assault rifle, a Mossberg 500 AB 12-Gauge shotgun, two handguns, a silencer, ammunition, body armor, a drone and other materials, prosecutors say.

The news release from the U.S. Attorney's Office noted Karmo has prior felony convictions. Smith has a prior misdemeanor domestic battery conviction and acknowledged regular drug use.

https://www.fox6now.com/news/sheriff-252-arrests-in-kenosha-unrest-132-dont-live-in-the-county

KENOSHA, Wis. - Kenosha County sheriff's officials on Thursday, Sept. 3 offered an update on the unrest following the police shooting of Jacob Blake on Aug. 23, noting eight days and nights "with relatively peaceful activity." County officials Wednesday announced the curfew would be ended, hours after protesters filed a federal civil rights lawsuit alleging it was unconstitutional.

According to a news release from the Kenosha County Sheriff's Department, as of Thursday, there had been 252 arrests, and 132 of those arrested do not live in Kenosha County.

https://www.fox6now.com/news/atf-seeks-7-persons-of-interest-in-kenosha-arson-investigations

KENOSHA, Wis. - The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Milwaukee Field Office (ATF) -- in conjunction with several other agencies -- is seeking to speak with at least seven persons of interest who could advance the arson investigation of multiple Kenosha business and vehicles that were set on fire between Aug. 23 and Aug. 25.

Authorities are focusing investigation efforts on identifying the persons responsible for 20 structure arsons and seven vehicle arsons that happened in Kenosha during unrest that followed the police shooting of Jacob Blake.

(the article has video of the 7 persons they are looking for)

fchowd0311 and RayRay10 like this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Nothing against you @Corrosion, but just wanted to take this opportunity to emphasis what you are talking about is "selective" empathy. It's a growing trend in the US, especially among younger gen and those that don't recognize it can fall into negative aspects of empathy (yes, empathy can lead to negative outcomes).

The End of Empathy

Breithaupt called his new book The Dark Sides of Empathy, because there's a point at which empathy doesn't even look like the kind of universal empathy I was taught in school. There is a natural way that empathy gets triggered in the brain — your pain centers light up when you see another person suffering. But out in the world it starts to look more like tribalism, a way to keep reinforcing your own point of view and blocking out any others.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/04/12/712682406/does-empathy-have-a-dark-side

"Empathy is a riddle," Breithaupt says. While it can enrich our lives, Breithaupt says our ability to identify with others' feelings can also fuel polarization, spark violence and motivate dysfunctional behavior in relationships, like helicopter parenting.

Since empathy is baked into our very being, Breithaupt argues that we must be aware of the good and bad it can enable.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This is un****ing believable. The politicization of the entire government apparatus.

DVauthrin and RayRay10 like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

No charges filed? How shocking...

DVauthrin and jiggyfly like this.
  14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Not a surprise. The officer(s) needed internal reprimand (firing, probation, re-training, etc). Rittenhouse probably won't be convicted of anything in relation to his shooting, either, but the other stuff on him should stick.

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

I don’t think Rittenhouse will get charged with murder

the main ones that had better be successful convictions with HEAVY sentences are the Arbery murderers and George Floyd’s killer

there will be extreme outrage if they get let off free or with some light penalty

jiggyfly and DVauthrin like this.
  16. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Of course, it’s not shocking, which is a major problem, too. This is another glaring example highlighting the need to reform our criminal justice system and police departments across the country.

Reeko likes this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

it’s sad that I can’t even be sure if George Floyd’s murderer will get successfully convicted

No Worries and DVauthrin like this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member