1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenosha police shoots black man multiple times in his back in front of his children, declares curfew

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

such disregard for live

DVauthrin, edwardc, malakas and 2 others like this.
  5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Wow. That's really bad. These guys need to learn how to take someone down. There's multiple cops. Tackle him and subdue him. Guns should not have even been drawn. Don't let him get to his car.

People need to learn to comply, as well, but my God. This is going to spark more riots. This is bad. The guys should be fired and the one that shot should be charged. Wow.

People need to also stop taking things out on innocent police officers, too. They are not all bad. To knock one unconscious with a brick, for doing nothing, is unconscionable.

I get that people are mad. I am too. I'm outraged by this. I feel for those children that saw this. They will never be the same. I hope Mr Blake survives. I feel for the other officers in the department, most of which would never do something like this. But mostly, I feel for they family. Wow.

I hope people can come together and peacefully protest on this. We apparently need a 50 million man march.

#5 Two Sandwiches, Aug 24, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Apparently, #BlackLivesDoNot.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Cops are so bad at their jobs A. What the hell were they doing? Let’s just let him waltz around the car and see if he goes for something in the car?? If he’s being detained, detain him. Detain him safely for everyone’s safety. Three police officers... three.

Such incompetence. The only thing they know to do it when all else fails shoot to kill. Pathetic.

I don’t want to hear it about how the young man was in the wrong. Doesn’t matter. He didn’t need to die and that’s the point. It’s not always a character evaluation. It’s about police methods that unnecessarily kill African Americans because cops nowadays are trained to do nothing else or just don’t follow basic protocols to de escalate any situation that involves a black man.

8. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Are the cops too scared to tackle him and arrest him? They didn’t have to kill him I don’t care what the idiots in this thread are saying. It never ****ing ends with these pigs...

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

10. Two Sandwiches

They literally have billy clubs that are used to break a bone at a joint and render that joint unusable. Three officers taking out his knees surely would stop him from getting to his car...

RayRay10, T_Man and Andre0087 like this.
  11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Also - Let's say as the "back the blue" bunch will say that This is a man potentially going for a gun, and has a bad record, and is a bad man who should have complied so he deserved it....

Think about his kids watching this happen. Think about how it will scar them for the rest of their lives seeing their daddy get shot to death. Why would a cop NOT want to de-escalate a situation like that and take whatever measures necessary to ensure they DONT have to unload a clip onto a father whose kids are RIGHT THERE watching??

That's something the "Back the Blue" bunch never really think about, or want to think about.

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I have been outraged my a ton of s**t that cops have been seen doing recently. A lot on inexcusable events have been on full display this year.

I'm not outraged by this one. When you fail to comply (and this was a flagrant lack of compliance) you are either gonna get roughed up, or possibly shot. As usual police incompetence played a part, he never should have gotten to the car (roughed up is better than killed), but even if they tackle or stun him it would have been made out to be police brutality. There's no situation here in which the cops don't come out looking like mean pigs once he gets up and starts walking.

FWIW i'm not a back the blue person, although I'm sure people will accuse me of that. Cops need to be better trained, much, much better trained.

13. Two Sandwiches

I agree with you, other than I am outraged.

Apparently the guy was tazed already. If you can't taze him and get him under control, multiple officers need to jump the guy and get him to comply. People DO need to learn to comply better.

These officers need to be held to higher standards. They need more funding so that they can recruit better candidates and receive more training. Unfortunately, every incident, like this, that just proves that, is more fuel for the defund crowd.

Citizens need to start realizing (through a PSA or whatever) that you comply or else you'll be made to comply. Not that you'll be shot. It should almost never come to that. But people need to be made aware that if you don't comply, you will be tazed, you will be beat, and you might end up with a hospital bill because of it.

Of course this sounds great in theory, but there are still guys that would take advantage of this. This is why there needs to be a body cams mandate, and if your body cam is found to be turned off, you get written up and suspended.

There needs to be a centralized review task force that any body cam footage can be sent to, and disciplinary action can be made.

Things need to be made consistent nationally.

These guys need more hand to hand combat training. More training in general. They need to be paid more. And they need more desk time.

s3ts, DonnyMost, DVauthrin and 4 others like this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From what little what we know it is questionable why the LE even drew their weapons and why they didn't stop him initially with non-lethal force when he walked around his car.

As I said in the other thread though there is still a lot we don't know about this situation. It's still not even clear why the LE were there. Reports are it was a domestic violence response but not clear if Blake was the initial suspect of that call. The video obviously looks horrible and I'm not surprised at all protests broke out and there was some violence.

joshuaao, FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

How many times do we have to hear this?

I hope there are more riots, there needs to be systemic changes and history shows there will not be radical and meaningful change without the cost of keeping the status quo being so high that society decides it is easier to make changes.

The situation is complicated. Let me just ask you this, how often do you hear an officer calling out another officer on the same force for what they did? How often do you see one officer stopping another officer? I used to really believe the "innocent officer" idea. I do not think that only bad people join the force? No I do not. I do however believe the culture around the profession leads to strong entitlement and they become divorced from reality in a bubble.

It will require enough people saying enough is enough and politicians willing to risk their political lives to force change.

16. Nook

Nook Member

The cops would look a lot better had they tackled him, rather than shot him 7 times.

The truth is a lot goes into this....... we need better candidates to be officers, which means we need better training and better pay. Also what plays a large part in all of this and isn't discussed is that GUNS are a huge part of the problem. The police are scared of being shot. Would they have unloaded 7 times on him if they though he was going for a knife and not a gun? I highly doubt it.

I am not saying we need to ban firearms, but we need to be transparent and discuss that in the majority of cases the police are afraid of being shot and killed.

I do not think you are a back the blue no matter what type of person.

s3ts, DVauthrin, joshuaao and 7 others like this.
  17. Two Sandwiches

I agree with you, except on the riots. You're not wrong in any of it.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

What bad thing would have happened if the LEOs let the man drive away?

The LEOs likely know his name, his car and his address. They could stop by latter and a have a talk when tempers have settled.

This is why people want to "defund" the police. LEOs are not trained in lowering the temperature of a domestic dispute; they are trained to shoot.

Invisible Fan and RayRay10 like this.
  19. Two Sandwiches

Who would be trained in dealing with a domestic dispute then? A social worker isn't going to go to the scene by themselves in what tends to be one of the more dangerous calls on the force. I've heard several say that. Are we just going to wait till a domestic resolves itself? That will just result in more deaths.

In this case, what if the guy drives away, gets a gun, and then comes back and shoots one or both women? And then the cops say, "well, we just thought he'd cool down?"

You have to have someone respond. That person should be a law enforcement officer, in my opinion. We can agree that they aren't trained well in de-escalation of any kind. That's one of the reasons they actually need more funding. I know that sounds crazy to some, too.

I agree with @Nook . There are major changes that need to be made. The disagreement and the hard part is how do these changes get made? Our government is not set up to act quickly. It's very reactionary, and slowly reactionary. That's a terrible way to handle things like this.

joshuaao, B-Bob, JumpMan and 2 others like this.
  20. CCorn

CCorn Member

Idk what happened before this, but those 3 cops look like cowards.