1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenny Thomas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by countingcrow, Dec 1, 2004.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Member

He is being rumored as being on the trading block as he is playing behind both Corliss Williamson and Josh Davis.

If it is rebounding this team needs, then Thomas can supply that.

Thomas is in Jim O'Brien's doghouse and doesn't seem to be the type of player that fits in his system. Maybe we can swing some type of deal that would bring Thomas back to us along with Glenn Robinson.

I'm sure we could use the contracts of Juwan Howard and/or Mo Taylor to get something done.

2. glad_ken

glad_ken Member

Man, F*#@ Kenny Thomas!

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

:confused:

KT hasn't been playing too great this season, though he was very good when Philly first got him. I believe he's got a pretty stout contract though. I don't know if we want to pick up that much responsibility.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Maybe if we could unload a similar bad contract, but Kenny has a huge contract and has his limitations as well -- lets not forget. Terrific rebounder and a good scorer, but he's undersized, is by no means a shot blocker, is not a good passer (and doesn't do it often), is often grumpy and has a big, long-term deal.

He's also shooting 32% this season and is not a free agent until 2010. I almost think Mo Taylor is more attractive right now.

5. New Jack

New Jack Member

I would pass unless they were willing to take Juwan Howard in return. KT's contract is only one year longer and he's 4 years younger.

6. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I was going to make a thread about this too. Of all the pf names thrown out around on the bbs, none of which we have much of a chance at getting(Stro, Wilcox, Kwame, Chandler, etc), KT is a guy who we could get that is an athletic pf who play alrite d and has proven he can be a 10+ rpg guy. Obrien is in the process of celtyfying his team, and with KTs unproductive start and his grumpy puss attitude, I don't think he's going to get a chance at significant minutes there again unless injuries creep in. Philly would love to unload that ridiculous contract they gave him if all he is going to be doing is riding pine. I would love to unload one of our crappy pfs for KT ...

BUT

KT's contract is just too horrible. I'll have to pass, tyvm.

7. countingcrow

countingcrow Member

I think Kenny Thomas' production has a lot to do with adjusting his game for O'Brien's system and inconsistent minutes to start the season.

As much as I love Mo Taylor for his offense, he does nothing else great. Juwan hasn't really been given a shot so far in Houston, but I can't imagine he would fare much better.

KT's contract if for 7 years and $50 million. Did a little checking at Real GM and a Juwan Howard for KT trade straight up would work...but not a Mo Taylor for KT trade as Taylor make more yearly than the 15% required...

The only thing that would make me think twice about re-acquiring KT is his lack of shot-blocking ability as you stated.

#7 countingcrow, Dec 1, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  8. gucci888

gucci888 Member

Agreed. His contract and size isn't something the Rox need right now. I like his rebounding but KT doesn't pass at all, kinda like a MoT with less range.

9. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Member

In Houston,

I think Kenny Thomas' production (will have) a lot to do with adjusting his game for (van Gundy's) system and inconsistent minutes to start the season. :p

10. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Member

I could be wrong, but isn't the reason Kenny's in the doghouse because he wanted to be option #2 on that team? His rebounding is stronger than any of our PFs, true, but he needs the ball in his hands MORE than MoT to be an effective offensive weapon. Plus, he feels he DESERVES to have the ball in his hands; not necessarily the best choice with TMac and Yao already in place.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I dont think Kenny is the answer. And his contract is horrible. As Clutch said, Taylor might be more attractive on the open market over Thomas.

12. Fegwu

Fegwu Member

F kenny thomas.

13. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Member

KThomas reminds me of a younger CSpoon with a more unreliable shot.

J

14. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Member

if Kenny performed as he did last year then the contract wouldn't be an issue, his game was amazingly balanced... he was rebounding and defending like a demon but the bonus was his offense he was scoring both without and with the ball and was completely in sync with AI, he was even passing great certainly nothing like he supposedly was according to around here....

but damn players play great when in contract years

i'd love to have Kenny back but for the contract Philly gave him they would have take Mo and Howard off our hands

15. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

I like Kenny Thomas. Dude played hard, hustled, and was humble.
    Also you go to feel for a guy who got attacked by a dog. What Heart and Courage. If Juwan got bitten, he would have pressed charges against the dog.

plantiff J.Howard vs
    defendant dog