1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenny Thomas (6yr, 50 Million!?!?) What would Posey Then Ask For?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

ESPN Insider: Kenny Thomas (6yr, 50 Million!?!?) What would Posey Then Ask For?

This was posted in ESPN Insider today. I was floored! If Thomas got that amount, wouldn't that effect what Posey would want from the Rockets? I think that is a ridiculous amount of money for a role player! Isn't that what Mo Taylor is making?

==========
    Leave it to the 76ers to set the player salary curve ridiculously high. With Larry Brown out of there, we thought we'd seen the end of the crazy spending in Philly. However, the Philadelphia Inquirer is reporting that the team will offer Kenny Thomas a six year, $50 million dollar deal. Ouch. That will screw up negotiations with a lot of teams. If Thomas who averaged 10.2 ppg and 8.5 rpg for the 76ers last year can command that -- what will the Pistons have to pay Rip Hamilton?
    ===========

2. giddyup

giddyup Member

Mo Taylor is a role player. Don't you wish you were 6'9"?

3. Rockets Red Glare

Wow......I got a couple of percent raise and think I am getting domething.:eek: :eek:

4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Member
    Supporting Member

Uh, and KT isn't?

Yeah, I don't like this news very much. I guess congrats to KT (and he should probably be thanking the Rockets for making that trade).

But, we should definitely not pay Posey more than Ron Artest made. Artest signed a 6 year, 42 million dollar extension- I don't think Posey is quite the player Artest is, either.

Hmm, this whole market may go whacky. So few buyers out there, so many players...and we now have the market being set really high.

5. u851662

u851662 Member

Really it wont matter, If posey wants to be here bad enough like he says he will accept a contract that he is worth. Your key words were "So many players, so few buyers." To me that works in our favor. All in all, it will level out. I hope the Rockets dont feel pressured into signing him for big money. At this point we have so many out of wack contracts, that if he does demand that type of money. I say let him go. It's time the Rockets implement a plan and stick with it!

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

I doubt this is true. Thomas is a good player, but he's not that good. Teams with cap space aren't going to make a serious run at him, so Philly is mostly competing with other teams' MCEs. I think $42 million would be more reasonable. Btw, one thing that is suspicious to me is that they are saying they'd offer a 6-year deal; why not do a 7-year deal?

Even if it is true, Thomas is a better player than Posey, so we'd have to pay somewhat less than that.

7. heypartner

heypartner Member

here's the article from the Inquirer that ESPN quoted from.

<blockquote><hr>76ers bid to hold on to Thomas
    A source said their offer to the forward could be for six years and more than $50 million.
    By Stephen A. Smith
    Inquirer Staff Writer

Living up to their word that re-signing Kenny Thomas would be their No. 1 goal during free agency, the 76ers yesterday extended an offer sheet to the forward, who is a restricted free agent.

The offer was believed to be for six years at more than $50 million, according to a team source.

Thomas, acquired from Houston in December in a three-team deal that also included Denver, averaged 10.2 points and 8.5 rebounds in 46 games with the Sixers. His overall performance against the Detroit Pistons in the Eastern Conference semifinals, not just his averages in that series of 10.2 points and 10.5 rebounds per game, played a big role in solidifying his future in Philadelphia.

"Kenny is a key part of our future," Sixers president Billy King said recently. "He's young, he's athletic, he can bang, and he's versatile enough to score from the perimeter. Plus, he always plays hard.

"When you look at our roster and some of the things we're trying to do in terms of having youth and athleticism, he fits the bill. I don't think there's any question about that."

King heard the same kind of praise for Thomas from Allen Iverson while talking about the Sixers' foray into free agency.

Teams can begin talking with free agents today, but they cannot sign them until July 16.

Thomas' energy, work ethic, and ability to play either small forward or power forward made his re-signing a priority. He will turn 26 on July 25.

"I know that I like Philadelphia a lot," the 6-foot-7 Thomas said last month while in San Antonio, Texas, for the NBA Finals. "They've been very good to me as an organization, and, obviously, I believe the Sixers have a chance to compete for a championship. So the situation is right.

"My teammates are great, and I'm confident that it's a great situation for all parties concerned. We'll see what happens."

Judging by the NBA's fiscal landscape, it's not as if Thomas will have a lot of options.

Because Thomas is a restricted free agent, the Sixers will have the right to match any offer he gets from another team. With the NBA's impending luxury tax set to kick in at about $52 million - a team must pay a dollar-for-dollar tax on any payroll amount over that figure - owners are being careful about how they spend their money.

"We've said since the day the season ended that re-signing Kenny Thomas was our No. 1 priority," King said. "Nothing has changed. It still is our No. 1 priority, and it will remain that way until he gets re-signed."<hr></blockquote>
    Thing about MoT's contract and this, is playing at their potential (which MoT's injury prevented), they are not so ridiculous versus the market that other's got. Austin Croshere's contract is ridiculous. Keith Van Horn's is ridiculous.

If KT gives them 6yrs of being a rock solid 12/10 rpg guy, playing solid defense at two positions, with a lot of muscle, then I'd say he's only being overpayed, not *ridiculously* overpaid. He does show up to play every game, and AI loves him for that.

Kenny's versatile defense is pretty valuable in the world of zone.

If it were me, I'd give him only 4yrs, though.

8. heypartner

heypartner Member

I noted that, too. One thing, if that "team source" is wrong, that sure didn't help the team's negotiating position any.

9. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Member

That does seem like a bit much for Kenny. But remember, he played a very signficant role with Philly. He performed well there.

10. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Member

I'd be shocked if that is the contract. I expect more like 6 years for 35-42 Mil--in other words MCE level money plus not more than 1.5 per year extra. There is no way KT could get over the MCE this offseason for another team--so that would be an awefully fair deal all the way around. A 50 million deal throughs away another 1-2 mil per year above market--just doesn't make sense.

BTW we tendered a contract for Posey? What was the offer? If no one else offers him a contract do we get him for that? Can we raise it even if there is no other offer (e.g., MCE by another team)to match.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

Agents do have their purpose. Fifty million bucks? Pshaw. Ask for 50, settle for 42.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

He's only other guy who can score. They are desperate. We've made that mistake plenty of times ourselves.

13. verse

verse Member

role players should never be signed to deals longer than 4 years. when will teams learn?

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

GO KT!
    HAPPY FOR YA MAN!!

Rocket River
    Some folx see the value of a hard worker

15. Achebe

Achebe Member

Isn't DC leaving Philadelphia? Even then so, I have a difficult time believing that Kenny will get 50 million for six years. He's a fit for those guys, but still... that's absurd.

(*whew* Steven Smith wrote this article; it's just bs)

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Just cause it's "Insider" doesn't mean its right, witness their awful mock draft. Anyway, they also claimed that the Wizards had offered van Gundy a 5 year 35 million dollar contract or somethign ridiculous like that and full GM responsibility, when the offer was about 10 million lower and included partial GM responsibility.

17. heypartner

heypartner Member

all we did was give Posey the mandatory Qualifying Offer to make him a restricted agent. The Rookie Scale mandates the rate, and it only covers his 5th yr.

This thing for Kenny is described as a Offer Sheet for a restricted free agent. We have not heard of giving an Offer Sheet to Posey, yet.

18. spence99

spence99 Member

I agree with this exactly. Only your superstars should be signed for 6 or 7 years. You build with role players around that superstar. Most role players don't play great for 6 years straight. And what happens when you sign your role players to 6 year deals like the Rockets, and the team doesn't win with them? You don't have any room to change the team around. I would only sign a role player to a 3 or 4 year deal.

19. heypartner

heypartner Member

ESPN is just reporting what the Philadelphia paper reported. It is the beat writer for the 76ers who is claiming "team source."

JuanValdez and NIKEstrad,

The more I think abuot this, the more is sounds erroneously reported.

My understanding is that the team of a restricted player does need use an "Offer Sheet." I thought that was only for other teams to do....which sets the clock at 15-days for First Right of Refusal.

Also, other reports show that Kenny just got is Qualifying Offer, yesterday. I think the reporter is just confusing the formality of a Qualifying Offer with a real contract...don't know where the $50m came from.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Wow, and you get that information just for subscribing to ESPN insider? sign me up!;)